Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand how basic combat works. Below is my interpretation, but I'm not anywhere near confident it's correct. I'm assuming combat vs. a Shades for these examples (might=5, strength=3, awareness=5, damage=1).

Attack Action
Must roll greater than or equal to the Shades' might (5). Any number of successes kills the Shades. Failure results in one damage to the hero, which can be canceled by losing one grace. Lose one secrecy regardless of success or failure.

Any Other Combat (such as Defense)
Must roll greater than or equal to the Shades' strength (3). Any number of successes avoids damage to the hero but does nothing to the Shades. Failure results in one damage, which can be canceled by losing one grace. No secrecy lost.

Eluding
Must roll greater than or equal to the Shades' awareness (5). Any number of successes avoids damage to the hero but does nothing to the Shades. Failure results in one damage, which can be canceled by losing one grace. No secrecy lost.

Is this even close to correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all correct, except that you spend a grace to cancel a wound, not lose a grace. (The difference is that you can't spend a grace unless you have one to spend.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:

Any Other Combat (such as Defense)
Must roll greater than or equal to the Shades' strength (3). Any number of successes avoids damage to the hero but does nothing to the Shades. Failure results in one damage, which can be canceled by losing one grace. No secrecy lost.

Eluding
Must roll greater than or equal to the Shades' awareness (5). Any number of successes avoids damage to the hero but does nothing to the Shades. Failure results in one damage, which can be canceled by losing one grace. No secrecy lost.

Sorry, but I cannot see the difference. What is the difference between combat (defense) and eluding if you are fighting against skeletons? (Might 5 / 4 fight / 4 elude) When do you decide if you are going to elude or not? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you end your turn at the location of a Skeletons blight, you are forced into a combat with a wandering skeleton.

When you begin a combat, you must choose a tactic to use: you can always choose to fight with 1 die or to elude with 1 die, and you may have power cards that give you additional options (for example, the Knight's "Charge" power can be chosen as your tactic to fight with 2 dice instead of 1).

If you choose to fight, you make a fight roll and compare to the monster's strength (in this case, 4). If you choose to elude, you make an elude roll and compare to the monster's awareness (in this case, also 4).

Since the strength and awareness are the same in this case, if there are no other effects modifying the roll, it doesn't matter which you choose. However, you'll often have a power card that makes you better at fighting or at eluding, in which case you'll want to choose whichever one you're better at.

Depending on the cards you have, there may be advantages and drawbacks to both options. For example, if you are playing the Rogue, you might have the Ambush and Vanish powers. Ambush will let you fight with 3 dice, but you must spend a secrecy to use it; Vanish will let you elude with 2 dice, which is less likely to succeed, but it doesn't cost secrecy, and it even lets you gain secrecy if you roll 2 successes. So which you choose will depend on how much you care about winning the combat versus how much you care about keeping your secrecy high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood!

Thank you so much, Jeremy. Everything is crystal clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of embarrassing that I'm having to ask but it's been a few months away from the game:

Just double-checking that you can ALWAYS roll a die to fight or elude (so long as, say, the blight allows these), even if you have no other Power card or way of augmenting that roll. So against a Scout, even though my Tamer has no Elude abilities mentioned on any of her Power cards, she can still roll a die....

--D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
Kind of embarrassing that I'm having to ask but it's been a few months away from the game:

Just double-checking that you can ALWAYS roll a die to fight or elude (so long as, say, the blight allows these), even if you have no other Power card or way of augmenting that roll. So against a Scout, even though my Tamer has no Elude abilities mentioned on any of her Power cards, she can still roll a die....

--D

Yes, all heroes have a base 1-die fight and 1-die elude. Additionally, regardless of negative die modifiers, these can never be reduced below 1 die each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.