Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
From an earlier thread, I've started to remember that it's been exactly long enough that I have forgotten most of the Herbert I've already read. I think the last time I read the Destination Void series or the Whipping Star series was I believe 1988....25 years this year.

So the question is, which series would you read first? Either The Whipping Star, then Dosadi Experiment OR Destination Void/Ascension Factor/Jesus Incident/Lazarus Effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read any of them. I should.

How about the Green Brain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
wysire wrote:
How about the Green Brain!

No, I haven't either... oh wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read any non-Dune Herbert. Most of my reading comes from the library and I haven't really seen any non-Dune titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking it was long past time that I reread The White Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just started reading Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well it looks like it'll be fresh for a lot of people...So I think I'll have to take the reigns.

OK, team, we are reading Destination: Void... Read! Read like the wind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
The Santaroga Barrier was one I particularly enjoyed. I should reread that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Well it looks like it'll be fresh for a lot of people...So I think I'll have to take the reigns.

I'm going on the local library web site. They can order books from around the state. I'm sure that I can get them to order this in there. It's been a while since I read some good SciFi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a short story where they want to take a piano into space. Really good. I suggest that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I didn't realize that D:V was part of the Jesus Incident series. Great series, by the way. I've read it 2 or three times. The White Plague was good, too, but really depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So the question is, which series would you read first?

Neither. I hate Herbert's writing style. It drove me crazy when I read Dune, but the ideas there were so great that I put up with it--at least, for a while. But there's a limit to my suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Huh, I didn't realize that D:V was part of the Jesus Incident series. Great series, by the way. I've read it 2 or three times.

It is a really interesting premise. I would tell people who haven't read it...

If you like the movie "Moon", then this is like that...on crack.

Quote:
The White Plague was good, too, but really depressing.

Yeah, it is significant as it was an early exploration on pandemic post apocalyptic themes that are so popular today. But not a lot of redemption to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Looks like io9 reads BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I love this font and all the memories I associate with it and others like it. For some reason, I love everything about the trade paperbacks published in the 1960s to mid '70s, with their yellow edged paper, their crappy bindings, awesome cover illustrations, and cool hand drawn fonts.

And it wasn't all just crappy sci-fi like lots of people think either--I've got copies of Cat's Cradle and The Martian Chronicles from this era, and, of course, there's Dune in the same format as well as all of Heinlein's stuff.

No e-readers for me, folks, because you can't get the same feeling from looking at a screen.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
Diis wrote:
I love this font and all the memories I associate with it and others like it. For some reason, I love everything about the trade paperbacks published in the 1960s to mid '70s, with their yellow edged paper, their crappy bindings, awesome cover illustrations, and cool hand drawn fonts.

And it wasn't all just crappy sci-fi like lots of people think either--I've got copies of Cat's Cradle and The Martian Chronicles from this era, and, of course, there's Dune in the same format as well as all of Heinlein's stuff.

No e-readers for me, folks, because you can't get the same feeling from looking at a screen.

Diis

I have a set of Penguin Classics postcards that I arranged into a large poster at home. The designs are a bit older (more '50s and '60s) and not sci-fi, but they are awesome. I would love to see a similar set for trade paperback sci-fi and fantasy.

This isn't my arrangement (mine is much bigger), but it's like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Diis wrote:

Diis

I have a set of Penguin Classics postcards that I arranged into a large poster at home. The designs are a bit older (more '50s and '60s) and not sci-fi, but they are awesome. I would love to see a similar set for trade paperback sci-fi and fantasy.

This isn't my arrangement (mine is much bigger), but it's like this:

I've run out of bookshelf space. Maybe that's what I should do with my old trade paperbacks.
No dear, it isn't another bookshelf - it's ART!

Although I'm doing my SO a disservice with that comment - he loves the books as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellstrom's Hive is a good read that's not Dune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.