Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
For something like five years, I've seen occasional mentions of the "site redesign." Sometimes, an admin will respond to a change request to say "that's part of the redesign, but not important enough to fit into the current BGG."

I've heard some people speak of the "beta site."

I, however, am not privy to all that and was just wondering if there is any detailed post about what's changing, if it's ever going to happen (and when), and how to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
It was all a cruel joke to trick you into believing in the future of technology that you hate so much.

BWAHAHAHAHAH....Welcome to the machine Randy, WELCOME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh heh, "site redesign". Good one Randy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Site redesign shmedelwine.

How about simply putting some of the features on the site back again that used to be there and were nerfed out or disabled. Play stats, advanced search features... etc.

BGG has taken steps back in several database areas over the years and that's what I thought the site was "supposed" to be about... helping people search for, filter through and find games they might like to play with friends/family/solo.

Still the best site for boardgaming on the planet but that's by default... not because it's actually improving and becoming more useful for boardgamers.

Edit:

I re-read my last paragraph up above and I think I was overly harsh.

The site IS very useful and I know Aldie and the rest of the crew here do an under-appreciated and tireless job of trying to make this site as useful as possible for the world-wide boardgaming community.

I am just sometimes frustrated by some areas of the site which seem to have been overlooked for years which I consider to be the core of this website.

With patience and time I'm sure the site will improve over time. It just takes years of patience and I'm sure the powers that be on this site have even more frustrations than we have as users here.

We as participants in the boardgaming hobby owe a huge debt of gratitude to Aldie and Co. here for all the info they've provided and the environment they've helped create here to make this hobby better and much more accessible to everyone involved and interested in boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Randy Cox wrote:
For something like five years, I've seen occasional mentions of the "site redesign." Sometimes, an admin will respond to a change request to say "that's part of the redesign, but not important enough to fit into the current BGG."

I've heard some people speak of the "beta site."

I, however, am not privy to all that and was just wondering if there is any detailed post about what's changing, if it's ever going to happen (and when), and how to see it.

The re-design was to overhaul both the front end of the site to provide a more user-friendly interface, and the back-end to improve the underlying code. It got as far as beta testing, which many users were involved in. You can see some screenshots and descriptions in the Geek Developers' Blog.

Recently, it was all put on hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.