Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 10 - Interaction with Smoke? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Thursby
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a 6-player game session we got the No 10 Haunt that has zombies. Not too many spoilers but what happened was the zombies move using line of sight. One of the players went into the room that we needed to trap a zombie. The event in the room has the smoke event that says "blocks line of sight from adjacent rooms". Are the zombies affected by the smoke? If so, we couldn't trap him because we couldn't lead it.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Yikes! I would say that yes it blocks the zombies' line of sight. If that is a show-stopper for this haunt (rather than just making it more difficult), then I'd say you'll have to ignore it regardless of what the rules say.

The Traitor "can choose not to be affected by an event card", but this rule doesn't appear to be shared by monsters. And presumably in this case they wouldn't want to ignore it anyway (unless the Traitor didn't know about being trapped).

Monsters, "like traitors, can ignore all non-damaging room features", so once the smoke token is out you might be able to count it as a room feature. But again, ignoring it is optional, so it doesn't solve the problem.

Edit: I should have said in the original post, but I have the 1st edition. I don't know if the 2nd ed rules are the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Yikes! I would say that yes it blocks the zombies' line of sight. If that is a show-stopper for this haunt (rather than just making it more difficult), then I'd say you'll have to ignore it regardless of what the rules say.

The Traitor "can choose not to be affected by an event card", but this rule doesn't appear to be shared by monsters. And presumably in this case they wouldn't want to ignore it anyway (unless the Traitor didn't know about being trapped).

Monsters, "like traitors, can ignore all non-damaging room features", so once the smoke token is out you might be able to count it as a room feature. But again, ignoring it is optional, so it doesn't solve the problem.


Yeh this is a tough one rule wise because like Cringing Dragon said, its the room tiles (not events) that the monster rules talk about, but I would have to agree that anything "haunt breaking" should be ignored... if it just makes it hard for the players then the group should vote... if it makes it REALLY hard (near impossible) or flat out impossible, then I would say you use the last rule on the last pate of the rulebook about basically house ruling any contradictions and in the worst case scenario flipping a coin if people cant agree.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Don't you have line of sight into and out of the smoke? Just not through it?

If so, would it not be possible to lead the zombies into the smoke, and then through to the other side next turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Sverre wrote:
Don't you have line of sight into and out of the smoke? Just not through it?

If so, would it not be possible to lead the zombies into the smoke, and then through to the other side next turn?
You could lure them to a room adjacent to the room with the smoke, but there is no line of sight from there into the room with the smoke, so you can't lure them into the smoke. And from the OP, it's the room containing the smoke that you need to lure them into.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Ok, didn't remember the wording of Smoke. But if it blocks line of sight into the room from sn adjacent room, then I agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
Sverre wrote:
Ok, didn't remember the wording of Smoke. But if it blocks line of sight into the room from sn adjacent room, then I agree.


Yeh went back to look myself:



So with this wording I would say it breaks the haunt if that room is essential to win the Haunt (aka... there are exactily enought rooms for zombies) and Smoke should be ignored for the Zombies... BUT if there are alternative extra rooms (aka ... there are more rooms than Zombies listed) ... although WAY harder for the heroes and kind of lop sided... I would say you have to use a different room.

This game gets lopsided sometimes in general, but sometimes that struggle is what makes it so intense!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Strayer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: An odd and and random occurence
We played Family Gathering the last time our group got together. Zombies ripped the Heroes (Heather & Madame) apart. If Ox had been present, they might have had a chance, but as it is I'd recommend letting the Heroes make noise or otherwise somehow get the Zombies into the room.

Mechanical discussion under the spoiler-tag.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Haunt has a fairly short list of rooms that are usable: six at maximum, and that's if the House is nigh-fully explored. It's entirely possible that there won't be enough rooms at the beginning of the Haunt. Exploring is fine, so long as you don't get bogged down in card-draws.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro'ing a long dead thread, but there's an easy answer to this:

The house, by definition, is on the Traitors side. The Traitor and monsters are not affected by negative house effects. This is a core rule.

I'd comfortably rule that the zombies can see right through the smoke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.