Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased this game yesterday, It will not be delivered until next week, so I watched the excellent videos of tsnouffler on BBG.

I downloaded Bloody April 1917, however; when I go to solo play to get a feel of how the game will work on vassal, I find that it will not let me choose "start a new game". What am I doing wrong?

I know that this will be a game that I will mainly play solo, so will sometimes want the ease of play that vassal provides without setting up and tearing down the physical game copy.

Thanks for any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
are you using version 3.2.2 of vassal? You may need to update it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the VASSAL module doesn't have any of the scenarios set up for players in advance. There are too many variables and options for players to decide on to make sense to do that.

So the BA VASSAL module is very good, full-featured but you still have to set it up almost entirely manually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, yes I have most recent version of Vassal, thought that might be the problem, but I guess it isn't the cause.

Guess, I will hold out until when game is delivered, so I will have rulebook in hand. No way that I can attempt set up, without actual hardcopy rules and scenarios!

Thanks again for the help, WWI aviation is my favorite part of military history.
Loved to play Richthofen's War when I was a kid. I understand that this is a completely different approach to air combat, but; based on watching Ty's videos I am excited about the scale and concepts of this system.

Too bad map does not extend a little further south. Then the location where von Richthofen was shot down would be on the map. If you start at Bapaume, and head in a southwest direction to where map stops at hex 1931, if map continued straight along that line southwest it would only be about 12 hexes until you reached von Richthofen's crash site. Of course, I realize that this is Bloody April 1917, and not April 1918. The map is a great work of art!

Especially, interesting is the use of the games wind direction rules. Usually wind blew from west to east, on day von Richthofen was killed, the wind was blowing from east to west. Many feel that this was a contribution to him being shot down, because the speculation is that von Richthofen did not realize that he had flown over allied held territory, because he was used to a headwind and not a tailwind. No way, Richthofen would have been flying so low, 100 to 200 yards, over allied held territory. "The Red Baron's Last Flight" by Norman Franks and Alan Bennett, is an extremely interesting book on the subject of von Ricthtofen's death. Definately, shot down by an Australian ground gunner, not by Capt. Roy Brown.

Anyway, Thanks for the info, sorry to ramble on, but I'm ready to experience what looks like to be an extemely well researched and thoughtout game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon2 wrote:

Guess, I will hold out until when game is delivered, so I will have rulebook in hand. No way that I can attempt set up, without actual hardcopy rules and scenarios!

The rule boook and play book are posted here on BGG and on GMT if you want to get a head start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ty

I may just do that. I think that GMT owes you a great deal of gratitude for the exposure your great videos provided for this game. My game has shipped and should be here Tuesday, so I probably will fool around on Vassal some before then, once again, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon2 wrote:
Thanks, Ty

I may just do that. I think that GMT owes you a great deal of gratitude for the exposure your great videos provided for this game.

It is a pretty good deal . . . they make great games and I will support them (like other folks) in a variety of ways. I really latched on to Bloody April for some reason and enjoyed supporting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.