Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I thought we had the rules down but i tried to play online and place an iron works in turn one, game tells me I have no legal sources to coal

So how does this work? I thought if I had to legal connection I could just take it from the demand track. what am I missing here?

ALSO, it let me sell to the distant market from a place I thought wasn't connected. How do you get connected to the distant market I thought you had to build a network of canals leading to it (even using another players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH right also what do you need to be connected to and how do you achieve that to sell coal to the demand track... and I assume iron automatically resupplies the demand track wherever you put it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
Well I thought we had the rules down but i tried to play online and place an iron works in turn one, game tells me I have no legal sources to coal

So how does this work? I thought if I had to legal connection I could just take it from the demand track. what am I missing here?

ALSO, it let me sell to the distant market from a place I thought wasn't connected. How do you get connected to the distant market I thought you had to build a network of canals leading to it (even using another players)

Legal connection = port ... Seems unlikely (ie impossible) on turn 1

Also, for part 2 of your post, you also need to be connected to a port (built or present on map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Verbalcody wrote:

The rules for using Iron and coal are very different. Iron is very easy. It magically flies across the board where ever it is. If there is none on the board then you can buy it from the distant market. However if there is any on the board you must take it first before buying from the distant market.

Coal is much more demanding. Coal CANNOT magically fly across the board ever. You must have access to a source of coal whenever you build something requiring coal. To use Coal on the board you must either be building in the city with the coal or have a link or a series of links leading to that city with coal. The links are in the form of canals or rails depending on the era and it doesn't matter whose canals or rails they are you may still use them to transport coal. You MUST use your closest supply of coal which is counted by the shortest number of links away it is. If there is a tie you get to choose what to use.

If you do not have access to any coal on the board than you may buy it from the distant market if you have a link to the distant market. A link to the distant market is a series of rails or canals (doesn't matter whose) leading to any of the following:
1. One of the 3 cities in the north, south or east of the board on the edge of the board (can't remember their names but I think you know what I mean). They each have a port symbol denoting distant market.
2. A built unflipped Port of any player
3. A built flipped Port of any play

Note Iron has none of these restrictions.

If you own a physical copy of the game take a close look at the coal and iron tracks. You'll notice that the coal track has a little port symbol next to it but the iron track does not. This is meant to denote that you need a link to a port to use coal from the distant market.

Verbalcody wrote:

See above

Verbalcody wrote:
OH right also what do you need to be connected to and how do you achieve that to sell coal to the demand track... and I assume iron automatically resupplies the demand track wherever you put it?

Yes iron is magical. The coal must have a connection to the distant market (see above) at the time you build it. If you connect it later this does not cause it to be sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:

Same answer: port

You might need to go back and reread that part of the rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
snoozefest wrote:

Completely possible if another player builds a port/coal in a viable city before you go.

Completely impossible if you are first to go on turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great thanks guys I think I just didnt realise you could use ANY port we had been building routes to the 3 external markets

now all is hunky dory, as bowie would say.

Much more fun with this tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Completely possible if another player builds a port/coal in a viable city before you go.

Completely impossible if you are first to go on turn 1.

Right - I forgot about Preston (which, after a quick glance at the map, is the only place it'd be possible)! The coal thing is true, of course, but it seemed to me that the OP was specifically talking about taking cubes from the market rather than coal on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote up thematic explanations for the rules which may make them easier to remember. Perhaps it will help:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/680754/thematic-brass-rules-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.