Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a person playing Cook use Grandma's recipe to heal someone else? It says it is "Soup" so I am thinking you can make the Soup for anyone...

Also when someone is hunting say one player and Friday, what happens if the weapon level needs to decrease by one and its at zero, do both Friday and the player lose one health each, or do ALL players in game lose 1 health?

The card "Dangerous Night", it asks you to put a beast on top of Event Deck. When it is time to fight it, who fights it, JUST the start player or do all the players fight it?

Jenny, counts as another player. If she is doing an action solo and rolls a "?", she gets a would correct? And what happens if she fails and gets two determination, is it just a null effect?

Tools Inspection card, it says you need to put a black token on two items IF you can. Does this include a "starting item"? I am thinking no, because later it says flip the item back to its invention side but the starting item is an "item" so really can't be sure here.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer some.

1. Yes
2. ?
3. ?
4. The only thing Jenny can do is take the rest action. So she doesn't use determination tokens and doesn't roll a ?. But she is a "player" so takes damage as a normal player would from weather and card effects.
5. Good question, I would agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya.

1. Yes, definitely.
2. Keep in mind that you always have to specify who is taking an action. Because benefits or detriments always concern only this character, not the second one assisting him!
However, if you lose a roof, palisade or weapons level, usually all players are taking damage. But, since I am not sure, I'll check that with Ignacy...
3. First, just a side-note: the Beast card ALWAYS stays on top of the Event deck, and is never shuffled in. And second: it is part of the Event phase. Everything that happens in the event phase first and foremost concerns the Start Player. It's the same here - he has to fight the Beast.
4. Botanybob explained it already.
5. Only items you built are concerned here. Starting items never count as "items", if it is mentioned on the cards. If they are concerned, "starting items" are specifically mentioned. It's not clearly worded, unfortunately...

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys.

Yeah 2 is a tricky one, and an important one, and I'm not sure it is someone helping here so much as 2 people going because the action is dangerous so second person is there to cover the other's ass so to speak (theme-wise I think this is why Ignacy did it anyway).

Jenny - I WAS pretty dang sure you guys were playing this wrong, now I just re-read the scenario card and I think chances are I am wrong.

It specifically says once rescued she is now treated as one of the players, and goes on to list almost all the ways she is like Events, unfulfilled demands, weather, HAS to eat, needs shelter etc. Then it says during action phase, Jenny can only take Rest Action (to heal 1 wound, she is not affected by bed).

At first I thought it was just pointing out that Jenny can't use the bed to heal, but now I see what you guys are and holy crap what a LIABILITY she is if that is all she can do, crap. I would like this clarified, along with number 2, but right now I think we are about to lose this scenario since Jenny is dead weight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Jenny - this is exactly what it is. Jenny is too weak or too selfish to do anything but heal. She will have to be treated like a character in all situations, but only does the Rest Action.
That is pretty specific, I think.

Once again about hunting.
Keep in mind that, if a Character's pawn and Friday's pawn are performing an action together (it does not matter what action), it is ALWAYS the Character who performs the action, and ALWAYS Friday who assists. Which also means that it is always the character that suffers the effects of anything happening.
It is also important to note that Friday NEVER suffers any effects of any cards. So if the palisade level is lowered, and everyone suffers a wound, Friday does not.
The ONLY exception is when Friday, by himself, draws Mystery cards.
Why?
Because these are the only cards he draws, anyways.

And the thing I wanted to confirm, I don't have to. Because it is stated clearly in the rules (p.13). Only the whole shebang sometimes lets me doubt what I think I know...
So - WHENEVER palisade, roof or weapons level has to be lowered, and there is not enough level present, ALL players will suffer a wound for EACH level point missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thanks again, but how about this one;

If two of the players go hunting, so the Cook and Carpenter for example, and the weapon level is not up to snuff, do BOTH take wounds?

Then when you need to lower the weapon level and say it is on zero and you can't, again both take wounds?

---

I just don't know why there would be a forced 2nd player to do this action if that player is not actually helping so to speak, and if he is helping, then I'm not sure why he does not suffer when the beast is attacked poorly (whether it is Friday or not).

Hopefully that makes sense and you see where I am coming from here.

TIA again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two pawns for the Hunting action to make it more time-consuming, i.e. to bind more pawns to the task.

All other actions are the same, BUT you have the option of risking a rush job with only one pawn. As hunting can't be rushed and takes time (it is not placing snares, or collecting from them), you need either two pawns of one player, or two of two players, or the dog or Friday.

As is always the case, you have to specify with each action who is performing it and who is only assisting. All effects (except those that, by design, affect ALL players) only affect the player performing the action!

If you don't have enough weapons to fight the beast completely, you still win (i.e. get food and fur), but the player PERFORMING the action will take the difference between weapon level and beast strength in wounds.

If you then have to lower the weapon level but cannot do so enough (regardless of whether the weapon level was 0 or not), EACH PLAYER takes a wound FOR EACH LEVEL that is missing.

Please consider that "player" means character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
flowercita wrote:

The card "Dangerous Night", it asks you to put a beast on top of Event Deck. When it is time to fight it, who fights it, JUST the start player or do all the players fight it?

So did this one ever get resolved?

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
TomChick wrote:
flowercita wrote:

So did this one ever get resolved?

-Tom

First player fights beasts from the event deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

All other actions are the same, BUT you have the option of risking a rush job with only one pawn. As hunting can't be rushed and takes time (it is not placing snares, or collecting from them), you need either two pawns of one player, or two of two players, or the dog or Friday.

As is always the case, you have to specify with each action who is performing it and who is only assisting. All effects (except those that, by design, affect ALL players) only affect the player performing the action!

If you don't have enough weapons to fight the beast completely, you still win (i.e. get food and fur), but the player PERFORMING the action will take the difference between weapon level and beast strength in wounds.

So, just to clarify, if Friday takes the hunting action (with the dog, or with another additional pawn), Friday will suffer any wounds due to beast strength > weapon level, but the hunt will succeed and produce food/fur -- correct?

In particular, I am puzzled by the situation in which Friday dies while hunting, because I have seen conflicting posts about whether rewards are still received. As I recall, the FAQ says no, but the German rules say yes...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on all accounts.

Friday will suffer the wounds, but the Hunting is a success, UNLESS Friday dies.

Then, it becomes a manner of choice.
1. If you choose the interpretation of the German rules set, then Hunting is still successful.
2. If you choose the interpretation on BGG, then Hunting in this particular case is unsuccessful.

Both are correct, as both were based on rules by or sanctioned by Ignacy. There is no final ruling yet, so at present the discrepancy remains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. I am loving this game, and I don't find the rules as tangled and confusing as many folks seem to find them, but I admit that it is really odd to have multiple sets of "official" rules floating around -- which are different from one another!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Dumon wrote:
If you then have to lower the weapon level but cannot do so enough (regardless of whether the weapon level was 0 or not), EACH PLAYER takes a wound FOR EACH LEVEL that is missing.

hm, in the german rules it says that if wounds are taken during the action phase (for example if the weapon level is lowered while hunting), only the active player takes a wound-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Loves eurogames, but social deduction games are cool too!
badge
Venice Carnivale 2015 (best costume seen)
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread, but just wanted to confirm, while Jenny can only take the rest action and cannot use these rest items (bed and hammock from FAQ), she can be healed by other items, Cook ability, etc. as she is in other respects treated like any other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ted11 wrote:
Old thread, but just wanted to confirm, while Jenny can only take the rest action and cannot use these rest items (bed and hammock from FAQ), she can be healed by other items, Cook ability, etc. as she is in other respects treated like any other player.

Yep, I guess she can be healed thanks to Cook ability, Pot, Flask of Rum, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IIRC, who takes the damage from fighting a beast depends on the context:

- In a regular hunting action or as a result of any other specific action (e.g. as a result of a ? card effect) only the player taking the action as the main player suffers the consequences of any effects produced during the hunt unless otherwise stated in the relevant card.

- If fighting an animal during the event phase, unless otherwise specifically stated, it is only the FIRST PLAYER on that round who suffers the consequences. (Note that this is opposite to the general rule that other effects during the event phase are normally suffered by all the players).

- Beast effects during the weather phase; ALL PLAYERS take the relevant wounds, if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.