United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some questions about this card. It reads

You may not use any items that are discarded when hey are used. You may not give items to another investigator.

Can you read books? They are not discarded as a cost of using, only as a result of a successful check. How about Elder Signs? You technically do not discard them but return them to the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd say no to both. The point is that you can't bear to part with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be good to get an official ruling on this but I think I'd house rule it the other way regarding tomes. Thematically if you are obsessed with something like a book you would want to read it. The reason it is returned to the box is that there is no new information to be gained from that tome but the character could still be carrying it around with them.

Elder signs are different because you use their power to seal a location so again thematically they would need to be left at the location to seal it but in this case the wording on the card would be the key for me.

If the word Discard is not printed on it I think I'd let it slide but that's my personal interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
It would be good to get an official ruling on this but I think I'd house rule it the other way regarding tomes. Thematically if you are obsessed with something like a book you would want to read it.
I disagree with statement; you only have to check through the forums to find loads of obsessed game collectors who have massive backlogs of unplayed games.

I'd go with taking the cards at face value: you may not use items that must be discard, so if the item in question says "discard" on it then you may not use it. Perhaps Tomes that are read crumble to dust or the writing disappears as you read it. If the book is still useable after you've gained knowledge, you could trade it to somebody else for them to use (or at least you could if you weren't obsessed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Book of Dzyan wrote:
Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-1) check. If you pass, draw 1 Spell, lose 1 Sanity, and put 1 Stamina token from the bank on Book of Dzyan. If there are 2 Stamina tokens on it, discard Book of Dzyan. If you fail, nothing happens.

Here, you discard the Tome when successful. So an Obsessed character can't use this, using the rules as-written.

Silver Key wrote:
Any Phase: Put 1 Stamina token from the bank on Silver Key before making an Evade check to automatically pass it. Discard Silver Key after using it if there are 3 Stamina tokens on it.

Here, the Silver Key is discarded after its third use. I would say you can use it twice, but the character can't bear to use it a third and final time.

Since Elder Signs don't use the word "discard" I agree it doesn't apply to them.

L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is one of those head-scratchers. When all else fails, you have to get really semantic.

Quote:
You may not use any items that are discarded when they are used. You may not give any items to another investigator.

Things like Food and Whiskey and Research Materials are obviously no-use.

For most Tomes, I would count discarding as part of their use. Thematically, you're just milking them for information—but perhaps you do discard them from your person when you get the information from them that you sought, because you're trying to protect yourself and others from glimpsing its contents.

For things like the Silver Key, I would agree with Luge. "Discarding" isn't part of the Key's use until its third use. You may use it twice but then cannot use it again. In a similar vein, you could use the Book of Dzyan One time, but then could not use it again. Likewise, you could read Illuminated Manuscript as many times as you like, so long as you never opted for the "Skill" reward.

Also, remember that "items" includes "spells," so you could never cast spells like Bind Monster.

Odd Results

Cthugha requires you to discard any weapon you attack him with. This means you could never attack with weapons in final combat (not like you stand a chance anyway).

When the Return to the Old Ways rumor is in play, each common item you use has a small chance of disintegrating and being discarded. I would say that you are still allowed to use common items, because this discarding occurs instead of the item getting used.

Finn Edwards never has to discard items. However, he must still discard items that are discarded as part of their use. So that Obsessed affects Finn exactly the same way as other investigators: items restricted for other investigators are restricted for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.