Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never posted in this part of the forums before, though my husband and I have been designing games since last summer.

A few days ago, we got bit by the micro bug. We really wanted to get this one out to more people so we've taken the plunge and made not only our first micro game, but our first PnP.

The good news is that there are only 2 pages of cards for a total of 16 cards (no backs). The only components you need are ten 12mm 6-sided dice (small dice), preferably in 2 colors, though we've been playing successfully with all of the same color dice.

The premise of Mission Critical is that you both are superpowers trying to capture aliens. Whoever gets to 50 points first gains the support of all humanity in the fight against the alien invasion.

Would love feedback on this, on what works and what doesn't. If you have any feedback on how to make the PnP files better, please let me know.

PnP Files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eli4j61uw4j6o9i/waFWED0pOC

This has been entered into the 2013 Two-Player Print-and-Play Design Contest

Current state of design: Playtesting

~~~

Please check out our other 2 Player micro PnP games:
Fairy Mall
Dragon's Dinner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hopefully I'll get a chance to test this, but before that a couple of observations/questions.

- For a PnP game, you should push the cards together so it only takes one cut to separate them.

- The Buckethead card requires 19 strength to capture 6 aliens, which is off pattern compared to the other two. (I would have expected it to be 18, or for the others to be different for the sixth alien too.)

- Do multiple Jelly BEMs do all the damage to one soldier, or do each deal 2 damage to the strongest soldier in turn? (So 5,4,3 capturing 3 jellies would become either 1,4,3 or 3,2,1.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagiMaster wrote:
Hopefully I'll get a chance to test this, but before that a couple of observations/questions.

- For a PnP game, you should push the cards together so it only takes one cut to separate them.

- The Buckethead card requires 19 strength to capture 6 aliens, which is off pattern compared to the other two. (I would have expected it to be 18, or for the others to be different for the sixth alien too.)

- Do multiple Jelly BEMs do all the damage to one soldier, or do each deal 2 damage to the strongest soldier in turn? (So 5,4,3 capturing 3 jellies would become either 1,4,3 or 3,2,1.)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I pushed the cards together so it's easier for people to cut. That was a typo of 19 so I changed it to the 18 it should have been. And I tried to clarify on the JElly card how the damage is applied - it should be the latter in your example. Let me know if it is clearer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fun, simple and elegant, I'll keep an eye on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes the rules seem solid. 50 points might be a large final goal state. how many rounds of play does it usually take to get to a score of 50?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
yes the rules seem solid. 50 points might be a large final goal state. how many rounds of play does it usually take to get to a score of 50?

Seems like 10 points per player turn is easily within the realm of possibility--say, 2 Bucket Heads and 2 Jelly BEMs. I'd imagine most games would wrap up by round 8 or 9, and since each round would be pretty short, I'll bet the average game is 20 minutes or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

Seems like 10 points per player turn is easily within the realm of possibility--say, 2 Bucket Heads and 2 Jelly BEMs. I'd imagine most games would wrap up by round 8 or 9, and since each round would be pretty short, I'll bet the average game is 20 minutes or less.

That's a spot on analysis. We've played 2 games so far, both ending in rounds 7 due to some risky moves that got some rounds at over 20 points. And both games ended within 30 minutes, but I will point out that we were discussing the game as we played so it took longer than we think it will normally take people. I'd be really interested to see how long it takes others to play and how many rounds it takes.

Thank you all for the feedback so far. Really glad the rules are easy to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised the files. The rules should be clearer now, so please let me know. Also, all three aliens had some modifications, so you may want to reprint those out. Bucket Heads, not so big as the last number on the bottom was 19 when it should be 18, but the explanation text on both Jelly BEMs and Wigglies have changed.

Thanks for checking out our game and I can't wait to find out what y'all think about it and where we need to make things clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also forgot to say that we've started formatting the rules. We actually want to structure it like a military/government procedure/manual. So we've started calling the sections different names and want to keep the rules in the bulleted format.

We'd really like to know what people think about this. Is there anything else we can do to make it look more like a procedure? Or do you not like it and we should go back to standard rules formating and naming conventions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some visual aids in the rules might be handy. Maybe show an image of what the game looks like when it's set up, for example.

Other than that, I think the rules are pretty solid. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Some visual aids in the rules might be handy. Maybe show an image of what the game looks like when it's set up, for example.

Other than that, I think the rules are pretty solid. thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering what to do about graphics. A setup image is a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romeo Bautista
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't have any problems understanding the rules as is.

Looks like a fun multi-player solitaire game since you can probably play this with more than two. I didn't see any sort of player interaction though other than try to reach 50 points before the other player. Is it possible for a player to unsuccessfully get 50 points? I think I'd prefer it if the game also allows the aliens to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoma_boy wrote:
Didn't have any problems understanding the rules as is.

Looks like a fun multi-player solitaire game since you can probably play this with more than two. I didn't see any sort of player interaction though other than try to reach 50 points before the other player. Is it possible for a player to unsuccessfully get 50 points? I think I'd prefer it if the game also allows the aliens to win.

There is player interaction in that the opponent can assign one soldier during the active player's turn. This creates tension in that the active player has to try to assign soldiers so that it is not easy for the opponent to get points and being stuck with the damage that extra soldier will bring.

It could possibly be played with more players, but the tension level so far seems perfect for just two players. Any more players would throw off the balance for the action described above. If three other players could assign soldiers during the active player's turn, it would unbalance the game and the active player's soldiers would always be at 1.

As for not getting to 50 points, it's always been a tight race in all the play tests we've done. Most games end with less than a 5 point spread between the winner and the loser. But this is good as it makes it feel like either player has the chance to win throughout the whole game. No one feels like they've got no chance to win.

As for the aliens winning, it's possible to add a variant with a time limit so that if one player does not get to 50 points within 7 rounds, then both players lose and the aliens win. Story-wise that would mean that the aline invasion was successful and humanity was enslaved. We'll think about adding that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to stop by a few days ago and let everyone know that we updated the files. The rules have been revised, hopefully to make them clearer, and we added the new end condition that if neither player has made it to 50 points by the end of the 7th round then the aliens win. goo

Please let us know what you think of the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We still could really use some more feedback on this game before we consider it finalized. So if this game looks at all interesting to you, please consider downloading it and giving it a try. It's a micro game so there are only 2 pages of cards to print. Or even if you just want to provide feedback on the rules, we'd really appreciate that too.

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hate bumping my own threads like this, but we really could use some feedback. We've gotten very limited responses and the contest closes at the end of April. Would like to make sure it's the best game it can be.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping threads is more likely to get people to block the thread as spam than be inspired to help out.

Better to make a post about development changes or updates. THEN it isnt spam, or hopefully isnt.

GAME UPDATE: Rules fix! = yay! wow
GAME UPDATE: I stubbed my toe! = block! angry

Found a wording instance.

Quote:
ii. The number of aliens captured cannot exceed the total number of soldiers on the Capture Team. One alien can be captured per soldier.

you could just shorten that to "The number of aliens captured cannot exceed the total number of soldiers on the Capture Team." the rest is more or less redundant.

Quote:
iv. Example: Active Player has two soldiers with a total strength of 9 assigned to capture Bucket Heads. They only capture two since they only have two soldiers. However, if the Opponent assigned a soldier of any strength, they would capture one Bucket Head.

What happens if there are only 2 bucketheads present? Does the Active get both or does the Active get 1 and the Opposer get 1? I am guessing from the wording the Active gets 2 and the Opposer gets none.

6 and 7: These are just messily worded... Even I had a hard time parsing these out at first.

Quote:
6. Aliens Attack.
a. Once captured, the aliens will proceed to deal damage to the soldiers. How damage is assigned is chosen by the Active Player. Soldiers cannot be reduced below strength one.
b. Aliens will either target the soldiers in the Capture Team that caught them or the Active Player’s Squad.
c. For the purpose of damage, if there is an Opponent’s soldier involved, it counts as being a part of the Active Player’s Squad and the Capture Team it was assigned to.
d. Lowering the soldiers’ strength does not let aliens get away.

Ok. So as I am reading it.

Captured aliens now deal damage to the soldiers. They deal damage to the team that caught them AND the Active players squad. Opposing soldiers that captured aliens are counted as part of the Active force and the Active player may choose how damage is allocated. IE: They may allocate damage to the Opposer first and then themselves.
Squads cannot be reduced below 1 and the lowering of squad strength does not effect the current captured alien total.

Quote:
7. Return the Opponent’s soldier and the Opponent either:
a. Scores the value of the alien by its type, if an alien was captured.
b. Not score if alien was not captured.

b. seems redundant as if you didnt capture an alien then obviously you didnt score a point.

Part 8: complex!
Quote:
8. The Active Player scores the aliens they captured.
a. Start by checking the Mission card to see if the minimum number of aliens was captured. For each missing alien, subtract two from the score.
b. Then add up the values “Per Alien” captured (see Reference card).
c. Next, see if multiple copies of the same alien type were caught. If so, score the highest “Same Kind” value for each alien type captured (see Reference card).
d. Then score aliens based on sets of “Different Kinds” (see Reference card). Once an alien is grouped in a set, it can not be used in a different set. Therefore, as a set of aliens is scored, remove soldiers from the Alien cards.

Ok lets see.

Check the mission card requirement. For each alien the requirement is missed by subtract 2 from the score. IE: Need 3 aliens and only capture 1. Score is reduced by 4.
Now add up the values in the per alien bracket. IE: You caught 1 of each type = 6 points.
What happens if you captured only one alien and your score from penalty would be reduced below 1?
Next add up groups of same kind. IE You caught one of 2 types and 2 of 1 (jelly) type. Score is 7+1.
Next add up the combos. IE: You caught one of 2 types and 2 of 1 (jelly) types. Score is 7+1+(8+5+4+2)= 27.

I assume you can count multiple combos. IE: you caught 2 if each type, thats 16 points?

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John so much!

I would have updated something if I had anything to update, but we've gotten no response on this until now. With your feedback, I'll be able to revise the rules and then have something to update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Quote:
ii. The number of aliens captured cannot exceed the total number of soldiers on the Capture Team. One alien can be captured per soldier.

you could just shorten that to "The number of aliens captured cannot exceed the total number of soldiers on the Capture Team." the rest is more or less redundant.

Thanks, took the second sentence out.

Omega2064 wrote:

Quote:
iv. Example: Active Player has two soldiers with a total strength of 9 assigned to capture Bucket Heads. They only capture two since they only have two soldiers. However, if the Opponent assigned a soldier of any strength, they would capture one Bucket Head.

What happens if there are only 2 bucketheads present? Does the Active get both or does the Active get 1 and the Opposer get 1? I am guessing from the wording the Active gets 2 and the Opposer gets none.

The number of each alien type is limited to 6, which is how many are shown on the card. There will never be a limit of 2 aliens. What the example is pointing out is that 9 is the number needed to capture 3 Bucket Heads, but since they only have 2 soldiers, they only get to capture 2 aliens. But if an opponent puts on a soldier of any strength it bumps the total number of soldiers to 3 with the strength of 10 so the opponent would capture the third Bucket Head. I'll try to expand the example so it makes sense without looking at the Bucket Head card.

Omega2064 wrote:

Quote:
6. Aliens Attack.
a. Once captured, the aliens will proceed to deal damage to the soldiers. How damage is assigned is chosen by the Active Player. Soldiers cannot be reduced below strength one.
b. Aliens will either target the soldiers in the Capture Team that caught them or the Active Player’s Squad.
c. For the purpose of damage, if there is an Opponent’s soldier involved, it counts as being a part of the Active Player’s Squad and the Capture Team it was assigned to.
d. Lowering the soldiers’ strength does not let aliens get away.

Ok. So as I am reading it.

Captured aliens now deal damage to the soldiers. They deal damage to the team that caught them AND the Active players squad. Opposing soldiers that captured aliens are counted as part of the Active force and the Active player may choose how damage is allocated. IE: They may allocate damage to the Opposer first and then themselves.
Squads cannot be reduced below 1 and the lowering of squad strength does not effect the current captured alien total.

Each alien does damage differently. One targets the Capture Team while the other two deals damage to the Squad. Otherwise, yes, you got all of that right. I'll try to figure out how to make the language cleaner. Maybe just point out to see each alien's card for how damage is dealt out.

Omega2064 wrote:

Quote:
7. Return the Opponent’s soldier and the Opponent either:
a. Scores the value of the alien by its type, if an alien was captured.
b. Not score if alien was not captured.

b. seems redundant as if you didnt capture an alien then obviously you didnt score a point.

Good point. I'll change that up.

Omega2064 wrote:

Part 8: complex!
Quote:
8. The Active Player scores the aliens they captured.
a. Start by checking the Mission card to see if the minimum number of aliens was captured. For each missing alien, subtract two from the score.
b. Then add up the values “Per Alien” captured (see Reference card).
c. Next, see if multiple copies of the same alien type were caught. If so, score the highest “Same Kind” value for each alien type captured (see Reference card).
d. Then score aliens based on sets of “Different Kinds” (see Reference card). Once an alien is grouped in a set, it can not be used in a different set. Therefore, as a set of aliens is scored, remove soldiers from the Alien cards.

Ok lets see.

Check the mission card requirement. For each alien the requirement is missed by subtract 2 from the score. IE: Need 3 aliens and only capture 1. Score is reduced by 4.
Now add up the values in the per alien bracket. IE: You caught 1 of each type = 6 points.
What happens if you captured only one alien and your score from penalty would be reduced below 1?
Next add up groups of same kind. IE You caught one of 2 types and 2 of 1 (jelly) type. Score is 7+1.
Next add up the combos. IE: You caught one of 2 types and 2 of 1 (jelly) types. Score is 7+1+(8+5+4+2)= 27.

I assume you can count multiple combos. IE: you caught 2 if each type, thats 16 points?

It is possible to get a negative number if you failed to capture enough aliens and the ones you did catch were not valued high enough to overcome the negative.

So the scoring is a bit off on the last point and is evidently where we are not being clear. When scoring different kinds, you cannot re-use an alien once its been scored in a group. So in your example, you caught one of each kind and an extra jelly. You could score One of Each for 8 points and that is all you would get from that category. Alternatively, since you did capture 2 jellies, you could score one jelly with Bucket Head for 2 points and the other jelly with a wiggly for 4 points, but that only adds up to 6. So you're better off going for the one of each for 8 points.

The end score would be 7+1+8=16.

So any suggestions on how I can make it clearer that each alien can only be used once when scoring the Different Kinds? Maybe I can say just that?

Omega2064 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Very much!! Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed your game (I colorized it and changed some fonts to make them easier to read) and plan to play it tonight. I just want to clarify a rule. When scoring, if the opponent captures an alien on the active player's turn, who gets the points for it? The opponent or the active player?

I'm curious about the Jelly BEM. BEM is in all caps, so is it an acronym? If so, for what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BEM - bug eyed monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
BEM - bug eyed monster

LOL, I should have guessed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmdm wrote:
I printed your game (I colorized it and changed some fonts to make them easier to read) and plan to play it tonight. I just want to clarify a rule. When scoring, if the opponent captures an alien on the active player's turn, who gets the points for it? The opponent or the active player?

I'm curious about the Jelly BEM. BEM is in all caps, so is it an acronym? If so, for what?

Thanks so much for taking the time to print out and play the game. I'm very much looking forward to your feedback on it!

The colors are pretty close to what we chose for the printed version, but we made the PnP B&W to make it cheaper for people to print. I'll have to remember to take a picture of the printed version and post here.

The opponent gets the points as that is the reason one would attempt to capture an alien and risk their soldier getting hurt, but it is a risk as the active player gets to decide how damage is dealt.

I actually think my husband was going for Big Eyed Monsters with that acronym, but Bug Eyed works too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing, we have some questions and observations:
Questions:

When scoring for multiple aliens and alien kinds, is the opponent's die included as part of the active player's team and squad or ignored?

When scoring Wiggly's damage, must the damage be evenly distributed across the squad or not? I thought not (as the active player determines how to assign damage) but my opponent thinks it should.

When scoring different kinds, I had 2 bucketheads and 3 wigglys. Would I get to score the buckethead + wiggly combination twice, therefore 10pts? We had different opinions on this too, and didn't find that clear in the instructions. It says each alien can only be scored in one combination but does not say if multiples of the same combination can be scored with different aliens.

The opposing team's soldier only gets points for the single alien it captured, right? Not for being part if 2 of a kind, etc.?

Observations:

With the cards being mini-sized, standard sized dice do not fit on the squares of the cards. Mini-sized dice work well but we only have one set of those as they are harder to find. I would prefer standard sized cards so that standard sized dice could be used more easily.

The instructions are a little hard to understand as they are written. I think having a short overview of a turn first and then the particulars after would make them easier to understand.

We could never remember that the other option was called Equipping and kept calling it Healing, as that seems way more intuitive since you are gaining points. I understand how equipping weapons would give you more attack points but it just didn't seem to stick with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmdm wrote:
After playing, we have some questions and observations:
Questions:

Not surprised on the questions, we have had a lot of trouble with this game.

Quote:
When scoring for multiple aliens and alien kinds, is the opponent's die included as part of the active player's team and squad or ignored?

By the time you get to scoring for the active player, the opponent would have already taken his die back and scored for any alien he/she might have captured.

For determining capture, the opponent's die is included to help capture more aliens.

For determining damage, the opponent's die is included as that's the risk of trying to score points.

Quote:
When scoring Wiggly's damage, must the damage be evenly distributed across the squad or not? I thought not (as the active player determines how to assign damage) but my opponent thinks it should.

It does not have to be evenly distributed. If you are capturing 1 wiggly, the active player has 5 damage to deal however he/she sees fit and if there is a soldier of the other player, then that should be the first one to take damage.

Quote:
When scoring different kinds, I had 2 bucketheads and 3 wigglys. Would I get to score the buckethead + wiggly combination twice, therefore 10pts? We had different opinions on this too, and didn't find that clear in the instructions. It says each alien can only be scored in one combination but does not say if multiples of the same combination can be scored with different aliens.

You would score the combo twice. We were trying to make it clear that a specfic alien can only be scored once for each category, but we obviously didn't succeed as many people have the same question.

Quote:
The opposing team's soldier only gets points for the single alien it captured, right? Not for being part if 2 of a kind, etc.?

First sentence is correct. Once the opponent scores for the alien he/she captured, the soldier and alien are removed. Sorry if this was not clear in the rules.

Quote:
Observations:

With the cards being mini-sized, standard sized dice do not fit on the squares of the cards. Mini-sized dice work well but we only have one set of those as they are harder to find. I would prefer standard sized cards so that standard sized dice could be used more easily.

Actually, the cards should be printing out as normal poker sized cards, but the dice needed would be the smaller 10mm size, not the normal 12mm size dice.

Quote:
The instructions are a little hard to understand as they are written. I think having a short overview of a turn first and then the particulars after would make them easier to understand.

We were trying to make the rules fit on 2 pages, but the game is more complex than that.

Quote:
We could never remember that the other option was called Equipping and kept calling it Healing, as that seems way more intuitive since you are gaining points. I understand how equipping weapons would give you more attack points but it just didn't seem to stick with us.

Thanks for sharing this perpsective. No one's told us this before.

And thank you for all of your comments and taking the time to play our game. We definitely have a lot of work to do on this. It's sadly more complex than we wanted for a micro game. So we're going to have to shelve it for now and get back to it later and work on expanding it into a bigger game to fit the more complex mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.