Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In anticipation of the the arrival of Wave 2 I've been looking for some possible storage solutions. Up to this point I have simply been storing everything in the two core set boxes (2 core sets plus 2 of each wave 1 expansion)with modified trays. It's worked well but with another 8 ships coming, and two of them big boys, I needed something different.

I've looked at the aluminum camera cases that come with the diced foam. I've looked at the various plano boxes. I've looked at the Battle Foam and other companies' solutions. But then I thought I'd try just making my own.

I found some 2" high denisity foam pretty cheap at Ollies (22"x22"x2" for $3.99) and a plastic storage bin (22"x16"x6")at Walmart for $6.50. I plan to use one layer of foam to hold all the ships and the other layer of foam to hold the various game components. I may also buy a smaller Plano box to organize the smaller tokens (right now there are in baggies).

Cutting the foam hasn't been too difficult so far. I have made spaces for all of my current ships with a little room to grow (in case I eventually get 8 Tie's and one more of the other three ships.) I still plenty of room for Wave 2 and then some. I've also started cutting custom spots for various game components such as the templates. I haven't planned everything else out yet, but it's getting there. And there is still ample room to hold my 3'x3' piece of black felt. For a total cost of under $15 I think it is going to be quite nice.

I will post some pictures once I made a little more progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do post some photographs. You are doing exactly what I wish to do, but am waiting for wave 2 to arrive before I get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is still a work in progress, but I thought I'd share some pics.

Here is what the box looks like from the side, and the top view:

Since the lid has two recessed panels, I decided to cut out the graphics from the boxes of two core sets to give the box a little personality.

Since I am waiting until Wave two comes to finalize the design, I still have a few items in baggies just sitting on the top layer. These include the rules, upgrade decks, the pilot templates, and the movement wheels. So here is a shot of how things look right now when you open the box. My 3'x3' felt is in there too.

Here I have removed all the loose things so you can see the items for which I have created customized spaces in the foam.

You will see that I have spaces for the two pilot decks, a Plano box that holds all the small tokens, the range and straight movement templates, the 45 degree and 90 degree templates, the damage deck (still in a baggie), and I repurposed a plastic cover from a core set to create a tray for the ship bases. Here's a shot with some of the items removed so you can better see the foam, complete with finger holes for easy access.

Since I will be cutting additional slots later I didn't bother giving the unused area a fullcoat of paint, so that's why the empty section looks lighter in color.

Here I have removed the top layer of foam so you can see the storage layer for the ships. Plenty of room for Wave 2 and even beyond, including my eventual goal of 8 Tie Fighters:

And a close-up:

That's about it so far. As I said, once Wave 2 comes I will add additional ship locations in the bottom foam and will decide how best to fit the remaining components while still leaving room for future growth.

While not a work of beauty, it actually looks much better in person than in the photos, which tend to accentuate the jagged edges of the foam cuts.

My costs so far were:
Plastic Bin: $6.50 (Walmart)
2 Pieces of Foam: $8.00 (Ollies Discount Store)
2 Cans of Black Spray Paint: $2.00 (Walmart - yeah, I really splurged on this!)
Bottle of Rubber Cement: $3.00 (Walmart)
Plano Box: $4.00 (Walmart)
Total: $23.50

I'm very happy with it so far. The one change I may make is to switch the layers so that the ships are on the top. I started with the ships on the bottom as this provides the best protection, but it may be easier to put the heavier game componets in the bottom so that layer of foam can stay there. Since the sides of the plastic container are slightly angled, I'm not sure if I would have to trim the foam. But it works fine as is.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or describe the process of creating this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work Jeff! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

By the way, the box is more rectangular than it appears. I was easily able to switch the two layers of foam. I like it better with the minis on the top. The felt provides some additional protection, or I may just get a 1/2" piece of foam to go on top, or under the lid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wave 2 is now shipping, so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can post pictiures of the finished product, with trimmed edges and completed paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job Jeff. What did you use to cut the foam? What's the purpose of painting it, just aesthetics? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Good job Jeff. What did you use to cut the foam? What's the purpose of painting it, just aesthetics? Thanks
I just used a box cutter to cut the foam. Painting was just for looks. The foam was originally a white or cream color, but I think black fits the game better.
Hopefully it won't be too much longer until my wave 2 arrives and I finish this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wave 2 ships came in on Tuesday and I wasted no time finishing up my storage box. I still need to do the final paint on the foam, but here are the pics so far:

Here is the inside of the box after the 3'x3' felt game mat is removed.

This image shows a little bit closer view of the ships. As you can see, I created spaces for the pilot templates to be stored in this layer, as well as the large ship plastic bases. The idea is that this whole piece can be lifted out to make building your squad easier in terms of pulling out the ships and the base templates.

Here is a shot of the ship storage foam removed revealing the second layer of foam which stores all the rest of the game components.

Here is a closer view. The movement templates, range templates, pilot cards, and upgrade cards all have their own spaces. The plastic bases and pegs are stored in a space that also uses some plastic from one of the base games. Although it is difficult to see in the picture, the movement wheels are in a large compartment that is divided into thirds using some plastic from a few of the expansions' packaging. I then have a baggie with miscellaneous cardboard tokens sitting on top of some of the wheels. Finally, the Plano box in the center, which can be removed for play, holds all the usuals chits such as focus, target lock, and the dice.

I still have a little bit of extra room for growth, although I'm thinking this might be where I stop. Maybe a Tie-Bomber or two..., a couple more Tie Fighters to have the option to run 8...Well, time will tell.

As I said earlier, while no one will mistake this for a professionally manufactured storage unit, I'm very happy with it. And for about $20 it definitely was a good value. Plus i had fun making it. Win - win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.