6 Posts

Catan: 5-6 Player Extension» Forums » Rules

Subject: building through settlements and port placement. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eddie arni
msg tools
Hi, two questions

One, can a road be built through an opponent's city? I've read both on this forum, and I have yet to find a clear answer in any of the rules. Please let me know where you get the answer to this question so I can let people know how definitive the answer is!

Second question: is there a hard and fast rule about the placement of ports in the 5 to 6 player extension? How should they be placed? If people are playing so they can see the ports before they develop near them where should they go?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddiearni wrote:
Hi, two questions

One, can a road be built through an opponent's city? I've read both on this forum, and I have yet to find a clear answer in any of the rules. Please let me know where you get the answer to this question so I can let people know how definitive the answer is!

Second question: is there a hard and fast rule about the placement of ports in the 5 to 6 player extension? How should they be placed? If people are playing so they can see the ports before they develop near them where should they go?

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to Board Game Geek.

If you haven't seen your first question answered, it may be because you are in the forums for Catan: 5-6 Player Extension whereas this will have been asked in the base game forum (Catan).

In fact I know it has been answered there, because I have answered it (along with other people), so let me quote from Re: Can your road go through another players settlement/city?:
churchmouse wrote:
What the rules say is that "A new road must always connect to 1 of your existing roads, settlements, or cities."

What I think sometimes confuses people (you're not the first to raise this question) is that a road is only connected to another road if there is no settlement or city in between.

So if an intersection is empty, you can build the other side of it because you are connecting your road to your existing road. If the intersection contains one of your settlements, you can build a road the other side of it because you are connecting your road to your existing settlement (it is not connected to the existing road). However, if the intersection contains another player's settlement then you cannot build a road the other side of it because the road would be connected to their settlement and not one of yours.

Edit to add: this is explicitly answered in an FAQ at www.catan.com:

www.catan.com FAQ wrote:
Roads - Can the roads I build "go through" other players’ settlements and cities?

Answer
No. If you build a new road, it must always connect to one of your own roads, settlements, or cities.

As far as placing harbours is concerned, if you are using the 4th Edition of Settlers (with the frame), then the frame shows where the harbours go - the harbour tokens simply sit on top of the ones printed on the frame to randomise which harbour is where. The rules for the 5-6 player extension also show the placement. For earlier editions I don't know unless the rules show this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddiearni wrote:
If people are playing so they can see the ports before they develop near them where should they go?

Ports are visible in all official scenarios where the land tiles are open. Scenarios with hidden land tiles will have rules for their placement later, if applicable.

The official tournament rules for placing harbours is:
Both corners of the harbour must touch land hexes
There cannot be more than one harbour at a single water hex.
Two harbours cannot touch the same hex corner

These rules makes the following possible:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eddie arni
msg tools
harbor spacing
My situation is, my friends made their own set with a 5-6 player extension. No frames,all free tiles.

People were setting up the board so the harbors were sometimes beside each other. This caused some debate as to whether someone could develop a city right between the harbors and then choose which one to use.

From what I can tell it's okay to have the harbors be randomly placed, so long as they're the right ratio of 3:1 and 2:1s with the right resources on them. But isn't there a rule about harbor spacing, so they're evenly distributed around the "island"?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I specifically checked the Seafarers rules for the "New World" scenario which is the closest approximation to your setup as far as official rules go.

There is a convention for (German) mastership games that no intersection may be adjacent to more than one harbor, but that's not in the rules. In the end, it's up to your group to make a ruling whether to allow this when setting up.

If you allow this, then this settlement or city gets either bonus, just like two settlements on different intersections adjacent to a harbor would get, and accordingly the player gains both trading opportunities.

Given that he occupies a single productive hex intersection, that's probably fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddiearni wrote:
But isn't there a rule about harbor spacing, so they're evenly distributed around the "island"?

According to the FAQ:
The harbour tiles used in the scenario are shuffled face down and distributed randomly to the indicated spaces.
If playing a free scenario, the rules from the "New World" scenario should be used: Beginning with the oldest player, each player in seating order will place one harbour at any land hex of his choice.

So it will be perfectly legal to have two harbours adjacent to each other.

However, the official tournament rules (also listed in the official FAQ) which I quoted above, will ensure a more fair distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.