BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for larger groups? (6+ players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuu Mong
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I am new to board games, and trying to find games that would be good for larger groups of people... lots of 4-ish games have piqued my interest, but I want more options depending on the number of people i manage to seduce into a game

Co-op games=even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuuie wrote:
I am new to board games, and trying to find games that would be good for larger groups of people... lots of 4-ish games have piqued my interest, but I want more options depending on the number of people i manage to seduce into a game

Co-op games=even better

Hi there and welcome to BGG and the hobby!

A question like this was asked somewhat recently, so the information in this thread might help you: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/911332/looking-for-games...

I hope that helps some. I can't think of any co-op games for that many offhand but I'll stop by and let you know if I think of any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuu Mong
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
thank you! I tried to do a cursory glance to see if anyone had asked this already, I must have missed it >.< sorry for the unnecessary thread!

(I have arkham horror incoming, but I think that game is a bit... intense for a group of newbies without someone more experienced to help guide us along hehe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try the following games (Co-ops being bold)...

Cosmic Encounter
King of Tokyo
7 Wonders
Battlestar Galactica
Castle Panic
Eclipse (with RotA expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires works for up to 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Zielinski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind something lighter, I highly recommend Dixit: Odyssey(or indeed the original Dixit). Odyssey provides components for 12 players, and I've managed to get even non gamers to have a great time playing.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is a co-op with one or more traitors. Personally, I love it, but some people (i.e. my wife, sadly) find it very stressful. Plays with 6, expandable to 7 with expansions.

The Resistance play 5-10. It's a Werewolf like communicative experience, again with traitors. Many compare it to BSG, but it's a lot shorter, simpler experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

Games I have for 7 plus players.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Citadels
Junta
Nuns on the Run
Bohnanza
The Castle of the Devil
Fearsome Floors
Heimlich & Co.
Elder Sign
Diplomacy
Kingmaker
Illuminati
The Resistance
Werewolf
Captain Clueless: Lost in the Caribbean
BANG!
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try the 'Adv. Search' button next to the search-box on top of this page. There you can search for games depending on the number of people (min and max). Sort the results on 'Rank' and you should - in theory - get a list from good to less good and bad.

My suggestions for 6+:
Definitely Citadels (up to 8 with Citadels: The Dark City)
or BANG! (up to 8 with BANG! Dodge City). (leave out the special cards for your first plays, looking them up slows the game down)
RoboRally would also be great but perhaps a bit difficult to get your hands on.
Co-op: Shadows over Camelot
I think Struggle of Empires is a bit heavy for newbies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Samurai Sword rather than Bang! Has been tweaked slightly and does not have player elimination. The teams are more overt so would fit the co-op request a little better.

There are a lot of co-op, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game for the story based type, Castle Panic at the simpler end - particularly like this one.

The Werewolf/Resistance type games are good. Panic Station is a big favourite in our group, co-op with a traitor who can infect others. It can be a bit maligned on the Geek, but we have found it to be a keeper and others who have joined us for games typically have enjoyed it enough to buy copies themselves. Also, Saboteur for the semi team one - huge favourite, although we feel Saboteur 2 is not so good.

Shadows over Camelot is another in the co-op but with a traitor mould, along with Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game.

Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game are also pure co-op.

In the past we have played much Iliad and Strand-Cup as team vs team based games.

It would be better to check out some of the suggestions that have been given to you and then if still unsure post back with some of your views.

If you then start looking at non co-op as well, the list hugely opens up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the interests of your group, but if I had 6 players wanting to play together, some of the games that I would pull out of my collection would be...

Scotland Yard - A great one-versus-many detective/chase game.
Ave Caesar - fast play chariot racing that even works if you add in more players than the 6 provided for (you can sub in extra cards and pieces easily enough).
The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon -- co-op with traitors.
Dungeon! - a fun dungeon crawl adventure.
Elder Sign - co-operative dice rolling against eldritch horrors.
Castle Panic - co-operative castle defence against hordes of monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to games for 6+ people are Dixit and The Resistance. Not many other games support that many easily unfortunately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play with a big group a lot, and I like games that have a lot of laughing hehe. So here are some games that are
- easy to teach
- easy to learn
- plays to 6
- fun & my friends like these games also

Alhambra - great game, easy to teach and it's fun! Plays to 6
Dungeon Fighter - COOP, plays to 6, fun
Rattus - one of my favourites, you'll need the expansion Rattus: Africanus to play to 6.
Mord im Arosa - a....? listening game? I like this a lot
Saboteur - this one has 2 teams (I recommend 4-10 players - for 4 players use the Selfish dwarf variant)
Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) - just played this today with 6, and I am in LOVE. (2 - 12)
Time's Up! Title Recall! - great game for teams
Ugg-Tect - plays 4-8
Eat Poop You Cat / Telestrations / Pictomania - plays 4-10+
That's Life! - a really easy game to teach, plays 2-6

The games already mentioned that I've tried work well with big groups
Nun's on the Run,
Bohnanza
Dixit
Resistance/Resistance Avalon
Battlestar Galactica - but this one is a lot more in depth. So for newer players, or non-gamers I'd play one of the other games first.

I haven't tried Citadels yet, but that's on my wishlist of games to play this year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Flash Point: Fire Rescue supports six players and the downtime should be just bearable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter
Citadels
King of Tokyo
7 Wonders
Felix
Zombie dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of hidden role / paranoia based games.

The Resistance
The Resistance: Avalon
and Battlestar Galactica

are good for higher player counts and are semi-cooperative. There are a few others that I haven't played yet too, but I'll leave them out of my post. I'm sure they'll come up.

King of Tokyo is a fun, light dice game for up to 6. Not quite your range (6+), but I played it at a game group night and it went well with everyone. My girlfriend almost bought it right there.

7 Wonders is another great game for large player counts. With the Cities expansion it can go up to eight rather than the normal seven. Most importantly, the game plays FAST for many players. Everyone plays simultaneously, therefore games don't get much longer with more players. My family can play 5-player games of it with the Leaders expansion in just barely over 15 minutes now. 7 Wonders was my gateway game to the hobby.

7 Wonders and The Resistance are games I will always vote for and go out of my way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joan of Arc
Cosmic Encounter (many editions -choose wisely)
Iliad
Citadels
Flash Point
Alhambra
Bootleggers
Attika (see variants)
Age of Empires 3
Guillotine (fluff)
Condotierri (2 nd edition)
Blockade Runner (when I get my hands on it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anytime someone posts this question I have to put
Quote:
Shadow Hunters
out there. My fave 6 plus player game bar none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
My go-to games for 6+ people are Dixit and The Resistance. Not many other games support that many easily unfortunately...

? There's at least 20 games here......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it never gets mentioned but yet every group I've tried it with has loved it, I'll toss in Long Shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.