Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies to all our foreign BGG Geeks but since I live in the US I'm curious about the US...although I bet Germany and most of Europe would probably blow away the US info... :

Anyways, what cities/areas/regions/and/or states do you all think has the most board gamers?

I know when shopping for games online it seems that the Pacific NW (Seattle area) sounds like it's teaming with FLGS and online stores and groups.

Down here in G'ville, SC it's pretty bone dry (we have one FLGS and prices are all MSRP so I don't shop there too much...)

So here's one vote for SC and Greenville in particular meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast my vote for Boston MA.

First copy of Settlers of Catan sold at FLGS here. Hub of Unity Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm Wizkids Games had tochange there offical tournament rules because of Columbus Ohio....

We have 6 games stores in a 50 mile radius.

We have a board gaming society that has a bunch ((In the hundreds)) or members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my vote for Sacramento, CA. While we really only have one FLGS that carries a good selection of board games, we have at least weekly board game nights at a local pub that are well attended. We also have one Game Day a month at a local library. We regularly get about 20-40 people for our gaming events, and our Board Game Meet-up group has 193 people signed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some real obvious ones like CABS in Ohio and Unity Games in the greater Boston area along with a large concentration of game groups in various regions of California. Here in the Denver area we have several very active groups scattered around the area as well as several good FLGS. And let's not forget TimeWellSpent which is located in the northern suburbs of Denver. The DenverGames group has a large number of active gamers and meets 8-10 times a month. Our regular Tuesday night gathering averages 15-20 people. Great area with lots of great gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Maryland? 24 game clubs!

http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence, Kansas. Of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MINNEAPOLIS/ST PAUL!!!

I think we have a great gaming community here.

We have Fantasy Flight Games and Atlas Games headquatered here. We have several great game stores notably: The Source, Phoenix Games, Dreamer's, Village Games and many more.

We're the home of 3M... the original publishers of Acquire.

We're the home of General Mills...the one-time owner of Parker Brothers (dubious, I know).

We have the "Con of the North" which I haven't been to, but it sounds like it's pretty good.

I moved here from California two years ago and I've been very impressed with the quality and accessbility of the gaming community here. While California has a lot more gamers...with the traffic it takes too long to get around.

Anyway...my vote is for the TWIN CITIES! meeple meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Greater San Francisco Bay Area has 3 monthly gamedays, another every ~6 weeks, more than 60 Designer/German public game groups, at least another 50 more public groups (probably MUCH more, I don't track them) if other types of table-top gaming were included (minis, wargames, bridge, scrabble, party etc), and untold hundreds of variously private groups. Stores? Not so many. This is the Valley: we buy online of course.

I play four times a week here, all at public gaming groups, plus 2.5 gamesdays per month (0.5 is the ~6 weekly). With a minimal effort I could raise that to 6 times a week (unless I host myself there doesn't seme to be anything on Tuesdays anywhere about here). But 4 times a week seems more than enough for mortlal man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to go with Columbus, too.

CABS meets 2-3 times a month, and has averaged 80 people per meeting so far this year (the last meeting of the year, #26, is this Friday). In the three sessions since Thanksgiving, the average has been over 90. The group has over 100 paid members for 2006.

At the end of September, the Buckeye Game Fest (run by CABS) had 175 registrants.

Plus, Columbus has Origins. OK, that doesn't necessarily reflect on the number of local gamers, but still.

CABS isn't the only game in town, by the way (if you'll pardon the pun). I know quite a few boardgamers in Columbus who aren't in CABS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickel Knight
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I would've voted Greenville SC as the best. Where else does a gaming group have its own condo to play games at? Weekly get togethers with 8-15 top notch gamers? I'm finding central TN rather lame by comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
What? No votes for Los Angeles? Where we have about 3 dedicated game stores servicing 9 million people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Werth wrote:
What? No votes for Los Angeles? Where we have about 3 dedicated game stores servicing 9 million people?

Hey! We've got socalgamers!

Okay. I admit you're right. Socalgamers is about all we've got that I can find. There must be more out there, I just haven't seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for MD as the place to go for gaming, but you need to stick to the Balt/Wash suburbs. We have 2 cons in Balt every year, The WBC's are nearby, as is PrezCon, and you can game damn near every day just by driving around in three or four counties.

I feel lucky to be here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any opinions on Atlanta, GA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Austin, TX--I could game every night when I lived down there; I found plenty of gamers and good game stores.

It beat Springfield and St. Louis with a stick. (Although there are great gamers in both places. Not so many great stores...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickel wrote:
Funny, I would've voted Greenville SC as the best. Where else does a gaming group have its own condo to play games at? Weekly get togethers with 8-15 top notch gamers? I'm finding central TN rather lame by comparison.

Are you being serious? Course there could be a huge community here but I've yet to see it (and I've only been looking for the last 2 months or so...). They do have a game night in Mauldin that I'll be visiting in January or so when they ramp back up from the holidays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbus, OH has 4 gaming stores in the metropolitan area where you can play games. I think that is pretty good, especially considering one of them is less than a mile from my house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know quite a few boardgamers in Columbus who aren't in CABS.

I'm one of those for at least another few days. However, I've given in to the pressures of numerous BGG PMs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lived and gamed in Maryland, the greater San Francisco area, and (now) San Diego. Hands down my vote goes to SF. There are so many highly attended game groups there with people who have large and varied eurogame collections that it dwarfs anything I've seen elsewhere. MD does have many meetings, but most are on the small side.

Also, Kublacon in the SF area is a great convention for (non-highly competitive) eurogamers. Lots of open gaming and easy access to industry leaders. You can try WBC in the MD/PA area if you are into cut-throat competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:
I've lived and gamed in Maryland, the greater San Francisco area, and (now) San Diego. Hands down my vote goes to SF. There are so many highly attended game groups there with people who have large and varied eurogame collections that it dwarfs anything I've seen elsewhere.

Yep, it makes a difference when you go to a game meet and more than half of the few dozen people attending drag in crates of 20+ games...and there's less than a 1% overlap among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its not Miami, or even South Florida. I guess because of our wonderful weather people don't like staying in to game, or maybe it's just how far you have to drive to get anywhere. But here in Miami there are maybe 2 clubs to play at, and I think there is one club in Ft. Lauderdale.

My vote goes to Columbus, OH. I was there for Origins and the city is wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to play and see the little red zip code balloons here's some zip codes I was playing with to plug into the Gamer Finder (w/Google Maps) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamerfinder.php

(Note these aren't themselves populated zip codes, but they are pretty central to the denser gaming around them. )

Chicagoland (my town blush ) 60106
Columbus 43224
Baltimore/Washington 20707
Boston 02420
San Frans 94580
New York 10019

I suggest setting the search for a 40 mile radius and then clicking the '-' button 2 times when done to zoom out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
I vote for Austin, TX--I could game every night when I lived down there; I found plenty of gamers and good game stores.

It beat Springfield and St. Louis with a stick. (Although there are great gamers in both places. Not so many great stores...)

I'll third that sentiment. Austin is a great gamer location. Not just for the quantity, but the quality of gamers here, and have several groups that have been around since the early days in the mid/late 90's and are still going strong. Every week, new faces emerge, and it's true if I had the time I could game almost every night of the week...

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I'll third that sentiment. Austin is a great gamer location. Not just for the quantity, but the quality of gamers here, and have several groups that have been around since the early days in the mid/late 90's and are still going strong. Every week, new faces emerge, and it's true if I had the time I could game almost every night of the week...

meeple

Oh, and what, your city doesn't have it's own boardgame?

http://www.cityism.com/Default.aspx

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.