Subject: Dungeon Lords: much easier than Mines? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned before, I've tried Mines Liberation solo for four times and succeeded only once.

After my first success in Solo Conquest over a Megapolis (1st city: level 11; 2nd city: level 12 megapolis) yesterday, I decided to start my first try in Dungeon Lords.

The journey turned out expectedly smoothly. Although the first day was not easy - I failed in my first attack to the first dungeon, ending up with nothing but 3 Wounds (I hated fortification!), and the second item on my to-do list is a secret tomb (where I had to break my first artifact, the Horn of Wrath) - soon later I found myself much more powerful than in a Solo Conquest usually, with a deck rich in spells and artifacts.

I didn't went as highly focused as I did in Mines Liberations. I burned 2 Monasteries (they were right next to the things I must conquer, so why not?), and conquered a Mage Towers (and even had time to buy a spell in it).

But I still did it, conquering all 6 dungeons and 4 tombs within 5 rounds. Here's the scoring (Arythea):

[Edit] My deck was thicker than I thought: when taking more photos just now, I found that I've missed my unused deck in the previous calculation. So update the scoring here.
(The dummy, Goldyx, has 9 cards left when the game ended. It seems that I should add 14 more points, but it takes time to improve my Excel template.)

To clear some possible speculations, I didn't make mistakes in the following:
* No units in dungeons and tombs. Actually I hired only one unit, the Illusionlists, and spent it for influences once (to buy an AA) and to gain a W for the rest rounds. He had no chance to take damage either.
* Always night rules in dungeons and tombs, especially no golden dice even in daytime. And that's why I failed in my first attempt to the first dungeon - no Green die but a useless Golden one in resource to power up my Concentration. But in the mid-game I got an Amulet of Sun, which turned things better.
* Interacting and fighting cannot be in the same turn. As mentioned, I've hired a unit(+buying an AA) and then burnt the Monastery, but those happened in 2 successive turns i.s.o. one. I bought a spell, also in the next turn after conquering the Mage Tower.
You may wonder why I was so luxury in timing. I wondered either. But the opening situation was just like that, I knew what're left in my deck and was clear that those are not enough for completing my to-do list, unless I added more boosters into it. I had suspected that I would fail eventually, running out of time, like I did in my first two Mines solos. But time turned out enough, especially when Goldyx's Flight appeared in the skill offer and I picked it in the fourth round.
* If I chose the skill from the public offer, I can only take the lowest AA in AA offer. I cannot take my own skill from the public offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my conquering route. I didn't make a step-by-step record of my play, so there might be some minor inaccuracies.
DISCLAIMER: I'm playing MK with my home-made rethemed version. I don't intend to show this off here - I've done it elsewhere. If you don't like it, skip or turn off pictures(and the embedded comments) please

Note:
1. The were some art & name revisions to sites in my retheme. I listed a mapping in the right side.
2.I didn't find the "all conquered dungeons and tombs connecting" rule useful, never using it although considering it a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you alter Swiftness from 2 Moves / 3 Ranged Attack to Guiding Bees (引路蜂: 2 Moves / 5 Ranged Attack), it would seem to me that your variant might be easier than with the default original card set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebbie wrote:
When you alter Swiftness from 2 Moves / 3 Ranged Attack to Guiding Bees (引路蜂: 2 Moves / 5 Ranged Attack), it would seem to me that your variant might be easier than with the default original card set.

That was a typo, and I found and corrected it very soon after, because its unbalance was so obvious.

I didn't mean to change any rule/data setting than the original.

You may find the corrected card in my session report of Mines Liberation:

It took me more than 2 months in my off-hours to compose the whole stuff. And before my Chinese retheme was done, I could not find any friends around to play MK with me, nor did I try it solo more than once or twice. So sorry, I wasn't really starting the game before playing it with my homemade.

Another typo you may find is that I added a "flipping" icon by mistake on the skill "Power of Pain". That led to underestimation of Arythea for a while gulp

Thanks for the reminding anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most serious problem is that I confused Norowas' whole skill set with Tovak's. Or you may put it in a easier way: I swapped Cold Toughness with Noble Manners by mistake.

But I was so fond of my design of the unique items (Sword of Icy Blade青锋剑 and Cloak of the Holy Spirit圣灵披风), concerting the original PC game seamlessly, that I would rather take one more week to swap the 20 skill cards (not tokens in my retheme) and redo most of their art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.