Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just noticed today that Train No. 3 and Contract #7 seem to be misprinted. Both of them have the icon that allows for choosing coal but neither of these cards should have that option printed on them, should they? I'm sure we allowed Train No. 3 to get an extra coal in a prior game. Oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
The icon shows that you are able to collect extra resources but you should still be applying the rule about 1 coal max. per worker.

The problem with the iconography is: how do I show you can take coal as one of your extra cubes if you DON'T take coal with your first three? The coal bit of the icon is: 'take a coal but ONLY if you haven't taken a coal already'...

The train SHOULD have some reminder text (like No.6 Padarn has explanatory text) and card no.7 _does_ have reminder text.

Perhaps one of those yellow hint circles should've contained the text:
"Remember: a worker can only take 1 coal when visiting the stockyard UNLESS a card or Train effect specifies - in words - otherwise!"

Ah well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why the cards need that icon though. The basic action already shows the coal option. It makes more sense to my group that you're simply appending the card bonus to the regular action. There just doesn't seem to be any sense in reminding the player that they have a one coal option on the cards itself. If those cards had the "correct" icons on them, there's be no need for any additional explanations for either card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you the icon SHOULD have just the iron and stone colours on the cube. That would ultimately make more sense but I can still see Tony perspective where TECHNICALLY if you chose three non coal cubes you COULD use the cards to pick up coal. But then in that respect should all the cube icons have the coal colour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:
But then in that respect should all the cube icons have the coal colour?
No. Because you can still only pick 1 coal.
The two cards that allow you to take 3 coal are tri-colored for exactly this reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I don't understand why the cards need that icon though. The basic action already shows the coal option. It makes more sense to my group that you're simply appending the card bonus to the regular action. There just doesn't seem to be any sense in reminding the player that they have a one coal option on the cards itself. If those cards had the "correct" icons on them, there's be no need for any additional explanations for either card.

That's absolutely right and the icon on the train and contract should be only 2-colors.

Overall, you will be able to take 4 cubes, only one of which can be coal. If you unify that, the iconography would be: [2]+[2]+[2]+[3] (where 2 is 2 color, and 3 has the coal 3rdd color). [2]+[2]+[3] is already part of action A, what's missing is [2], not [3]. Right now, if you consolidate the cards as they are, you get [2]+[2]+[3]+[3]. That allows for 2 coals and we played it that way until now,

Seriously, no one will ever call out "you took 3 iron first, you can't take a coal as your 4th because the train doesn't have the coal symbol". It's obvious that you could have taken one coal as part of your first 3 cubes and that you can then make your 4th a coal if you haven't taken one yet. Just like you won't blame someone for taking 1coal + 2 iron instead of 2 irons + 1 coal for action A. Seriously, that's not a justification for faulty iconography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.