Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some help here, guys.
I'm looking for a new game and has my eyes set on these:
Band of Brothers vs Lock 'n' Load.

But what to choose and why?

I have tried Squad Leader and loved it, but too many rules in the end.
I have bought CC:E, but can't really say I like it due to the cards.

This is posted at BoB too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know... I believe Lock'N Load has less rules than the old Squad Leader game and is more playable due to a number of design differences (more streamlined combat resolution, streamlined artillery and armour rules, easier LOS and terrain rules, ect.). The influence of SL on the L'NL system is undeniable though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I was in a similar vote and I decided on LnL over BoB and CoH.

Check out my blog on learning the system, you can find it Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jholen wrote:

Jonathan, it was your blog that made me look at LnL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both and they both offer something special. BoB is simple, smooth, elegant and tactically satisfying from a "realism" standpoint. That is you must suppress and close on units to kill them, but they always have a chance to nail you with opp fire. I like the game very much, but it is more chess like.

I just recently started to play LnL and I really like this game. It took me a bit to get the rules down, but once you do it really is not that complex. What makes me want to play LnL is the story, drama and excitement of the game. I love random events and scenarios with interesting objectives. I also love having leaders, snipers, medics and heroes (BoB does not have separate counters for leaders, leadership is built into a squads proficiency rating). LnL also allows you to play from WWII, Vietnam, Falklands and even WWIII. I also like the spotting rules in LnL. I play solo and the random events, possible hero generation and the spotting rules make it a very entertaining experience. LnL also does not use concealment markers like BoB does which makes soloing a bit easier.

As I said, I have both games and will continue to add to each as they provide significantly different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing also to consider, is once you learn LnL there are many expansions that follow the same system. LnL has a more immersive factor than any other squad level tactical game I have played. It's mostly tactical so not as much craziness like combat commander, but each turn feels like something is happening. I play a lot of games where it doesn't get exciting til the last few turns, and LnL is up close and deadly. The art is beautiful as well.
I like Bob too but I find the artwork a bit cartoony, and the detail on different types of units doesnt feel as well.
In LnL I can carry a MG 42 in bipod mode, and run and set it up in tripod mode for more firepower. I can capture enemy weapons. I can run doubletime. My leaders are important. etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now made my choice.
I have ordered Band of Brothers.
Why you may ask.
Due to the shorter rules and no expansions to empty my wallet.

I will though try the demo at one point!

Thank you for all your advices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your wallet but there is an expansion for Band of Brothers in the works....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129122/band-of-brothe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that a stand alone game on the eastern front?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Slotracer wrote:
jholen wrote:

Jonathan, it was your blog that made me look at LnL.
Well, be sure to subscribe so if you ever want to try LnL you can reference my blog to help the learn system as I'm doing.

Just got off my work week, so hoping to get two scenarios up this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I will - at some point - try the demo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Well, I will - at some point - try the demo. ;)

You should! And its free!
I had a feeling you would go with Bob just because most of the games I have seen you talk about have lighter rulesets, and you are like me in the sense a game doesnt have to be complicated to be fun. Lock n Load has been my number one for over a year and a half now I think. I have a lot of games, and played a lot too so for me that says quite a bit.
I really liked the game play with BoB but when it came to the end of the game I felt empty. There are 2 series of games that I will play whenever I can and that is Lock n Load heroes games and Combat Commander. The rest of my games including bob just sit on my shelf ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.