6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Khazad Dum: solo-able at all? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing LOTR-LCG for about one month now, a few times with two or three players (wife and daughter) but most of the times solo, exploring the possibilities of the game and really enjoying it very much. No other game during the lasy eight years has captured my interest like this one. I have been able to do most of the Mirkwood cycle solo (even Carrock at the end, using an specialized deck and after several tries - I have not yet tried Return to Mirkwood). I have just jumped into the quests in the Khazad Dum expansion (beginning by the second one which is allegedly the less difficult of the three) and I am finding it rather impossible to complete. The (3+1)-spheres decks that I have used so far and that have worked so well for Mirkwood contain only core cards (but that is just because I want to explore the possibilities of the core set before including resources and characters from the expansions) and my feeling is that the problem does not lie there.

So, has any one of you done Khazad Dum solo (and how)?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
The trick with 2nd quest of Khazad-Dum is being able to consistantly deal with shadow cards so you don't get overwhelmed by orcs.

Here are few comboes that makes 2nd quest of Khazad-Dum easier.

Thalin + Gondorian Spearman
kills 2 hp orcs without resolving shadow or damage.

Bilbo + Burning Brand + Fast Hitch (+ Dunedain Warning + Protector of Lorien)
Assuming you only have 1 core set, Hobbit hero + Burning Brand is a great way of dealing with shadow cards. Frodo can be used as well, but I find Bilbo more suitable because of his sphere and extra card draws.

Sneak Attack + Longbeard Orc Slayer
A combo that is useful for this quest. There are lot of Orc enemies so if you are getting over run, this might save your bacon.

Sneak Attack + Descendent of Thorndor
This can kill 2 orc enemies with 2 hp.

Dunhere (+ Dunedain Mark + Blade of Gondolin)
With shadow cards adding Orc enemies to staging area during combat phase, Dunhere's ability can be maximized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a few turn by turn plays (with some mistakes to be fair), but they might be helpful in showing example games of Khazad-dum. This set used Thalin (as suggested above especially for quest 2), Legolas, and Eowyn and an emphasis on Eagles (because it's perfectly thematic to have Eagles adventuring in the underground kingdom).

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/860563/radagast-and-friends-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/862001/radagast-and-friends-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/865221/radagast-and-friends-...

Ignore the ratings. I found the third (the "easiest") to be way harder than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have solo'd all three Khazad Dum quests although I have lost more than I have won on into the pit. Unsuprisingly my answer is Dain +2 other dwarf heroes + as many dwarf allies as you can field!
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand from the above messages that for Khazad Dum one cannot go with heroes and resource cards from core exclusively (which was my original intention). Oh well, time to change the chip and begin exploring the resource possibilities of the expansions I guess. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, having eagles within Moria ... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.