4 Posts

Dungeon!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wizards firing spells from chambers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim L
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi - my brother-in-law and I are arguing over a move in Dungeon. I am a wizard in the Torture Chamber (a level 5 chamber) and was beaten up by a vampire there. Then I cast a spell into the room right next door to the chamber to kill whatever monster was in there. It turned out to be another vampire which my spell failed to defeat. Now the rule says that if you cast a spell you "... stop at the door of the room." And thus they do not get to strike you back. However, this appears to leave me in the chamber and my b-i-l reckons I should have to fight the first vampire again. I say that that would mean I'd be fighting two combats in the one round which would be unfair. I see myself as standing in the doorway, unable to go forward or back. Of course, next time I'll have to encounter either the chamber or the room. Who's right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not positive, but I don't think you would have been able to cast the spell into a room while remaining in a chamber that was occupied by a monster.

1. Move: you moved zero spaces.
2. Encounter: since the chamber you are in contains a monster, you must fight that monster.

In any case, your brother-in-law allowed the misplay because it sounded like a logical attack that you could make. Unfortunately, there is no "standing in a doorway" space for you to occupy. You are still fully in the chamber with a ravenous vampire!

You should either have to fight the Vampire in the chamber or let him have a free strike at you since you've already attacked this turn.

Robert

edit typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By "at the doorway" they mean "The space you were standing in when you cast the spell.

In this case that space happens to be an occupied chamber.
But. If you cast the spell into the room that means you had at least one movement left to enter said room. You could have just stepped out of the chamber via one of the halls you entered it through.

Teleport has this bit.
Quote:
If you cast this spell while a Monster is in your starting chamber,
you do not fight that Monster (even if you just moved there), but
you must fight any Monster in the chamber you move to.

Casting the spell doesnt prompt the attack, just where you stop at.
(On the other hand, the new rules make no mention of the wizard needing any movement points reserved to enter the room a spell is cast into. So by the rules they could spend all 5 to get to a room, cast into it, and if win, get a 6th point to move into the room.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Not positive, but I don't think you would have been able to cast the spell into a room while remaining in a chamber that was occupied by a monster.

1. Move: you moved zero spaces.
2. Encounter: since the chamber you are in contains a monster, you must fight that monster.

In any case, your brother-in-law allowed the misplay because it sounded like a logical attack that you could make. Unfortunately, there is no "standing in a doorway" space for you to occupy. You are still fully in the chamber with a ravenous vampire!

You should either have to fight the Vampire in the chamber or let him have a free strike at you since you've already attacked this turn.

Robert

edit typo

I second this--you are not allowed to cast another spell into a room connected to the chamber because you must deal with the current monster first. Moreover, there would be no "free strikes" from said current monster simply because you'd rather see what's in the attached room with no risk of retaliation from THAT monster (not to mention, it's kind of a loophole way of escaping the current chamber if you beat it).

If you want another way to rationalize it, consider that the current monster would disrupt the concentration of any casting of a spell targeted outside the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.