Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Cartwright
United Kingdom
cardiff
south glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
During a game last night I played the development card "road building" put my roads on the board and then traded some wood in my port.
At this point my fellow gamers told me this was not allowed because it did not conform to the roll-trade-build rule. However the rules on development cards say you can play these cards at any time-we ended up having quite a heated discussion...can any one clarify???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure... Placing a road into the port doesn't grant you the ability to use it. You need to build a settlement to do that...

However we always played that you are allowed to trade/build in any order or even trade then build then trade once again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cartwright
United Kingdom
cardiff
south glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I already had a settlement on a port from a previous round.
The issue my friends had was me building roads by using the road building card before I used my port to trade.
I have just looked at Klaus Teuber.s website where this very question was asked and he says I was ok to play this card at any time.
I have often played games where the approach to trading and building is flexible and it doesnt seem to have any negative impact on the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules FAQ in German specifically states that using a road building development card does not constitute a building action. No idea where to find the English language equivalent, but here's the German link:
http://www.siedeln.de/faq/202_150_de.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
twid wrote:
I already had a settlement on a port from a previous round.
The issue my friends had was me building roads by using the road building card before I used my port to trade.
I have just looked at Klaus Teuber.s website where this very question was asked and he says I was ok to play this card at any time.
I have often played games where the approach to trading and building is flexible and it doesnt seem to have any negative impact on the game play.
Development cards may be played at ANY point in your turn, including before you roll the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cartwright
United Kingdom
cardiff
south glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the original Settlers rules strictly enforced the order: roll-trade-build. Now, though, I think you can trade and build in any order, including mixing and matching. As for the cards, you can play those any time (on your turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original Settlers rules strictly enforced the order: roll-trade-build. Now, though, I think you can trade and build in any order, including mixing and matching. As for the cards, you can play those any time (on your turn).

I'm pretty sure you are right snooze, the latest edition of the rules allow for trading and building to be much more free form, even allowing going back and forth between the two.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm still confused at the OP's statement:

twid wrote:
... I played the development card "road building" put my roads on the board and then traded some wood in my port.

(emphasis mine)

The question is: did you trade wood at your port before or after rolling? The only thing you may do before rolling is playing one development card (so, Road Building). You may not trade or do any other sort of building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cartwright
United Kingdom
cardiff
south glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Apologies if I didnt make it very clear...this what I did in order:
I rolled
I played road building development card
I traded
I built a settlement

My fellow gamers objected to my building roads(with the road building card) before trading.
They like to play -roll trade build-pretty strictly.

It now seems pretty conclusive that what I did was ok,because as you rightly say ,a development card can be played at any time during your turn.In fact I went to Klaus Teubers website where he answered this very question.

http://www.catan.com/faq-page/93

Amazing that we have been playing for maybe 12 years and it was the first time we encountered this situation....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it was always my understanding that the only cards you could play BEFORE rolling are those that would affect the dice, or the robber. So, in vanilla Catan, you can play a soldier card, but nothing else. Otherwise you always roll first.

However, to the point raised in the original post, in current (4th edition rules) Catan you can trade and build in any order, including building a new settlement on a port, trading at the now-discount rate, then building some more, then trading with another player.

But you always roll before you can play a card like "road building."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just to clarify two points:

You are and were always allowed to play any development card before rolling the dice. It just does not make much sense to play anything else but a knight.
If any wording in any printed language was phrased in a way that let you think otherwise, it was not intended to do so.
(This is true for the basic game and different with Cities & Knights.)

Back in 1994 - when the rules were written and gaming and rule-writing was somehow different than it is today - Catan was a complex game (at least for the German market). To give the game more structure and make it easier to learn, the "strict" order to trade first, to build afterwards was written in the rules.
This was not meant to be a law, it was meant to be an advise "hey, you will have an easier time if you first conduct all your trading, then see what you got and then do the building". So, it was never meant to be part especially not was become of it.

Klaus Teuber never played with the seperation of trade- and build-phase.
Therefore this "rule" was explilcitly omitted from Cities & Knights, an addition was later added to the Almanach in the basic game that advanced players should not separate trade- and build-phase. And yes, if playing without the separation, you can even use a new built port immediately.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, Sebastian. I never knew that (combined trading/building phase) was originally intended to be the way the game was played. I had assumed it was a later addition! I'm definitely going to use that rule from now on, then.

Also, as far as I know, the English rules (like the original ones) have always indicated that you can play any development card at any time during your turn (except on the turn you buy it, of course). I've never heard of this being restricted to soldiers/knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.