Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So, a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes. Mine barely mumbles a sentence: -

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (the 1979 BBC tv series, not the more recent movie)

Pixies - Sell Out 2004 Reunion Tour

A handful of films I got free with newspapers and haven't watched.

The fact is that I don't watch a great deal of tv and, when I do, prefer to view something new rather than an old favourite over and over again.

What does my DVD collection say to you? Am I...unusual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Embarassingly small DVD collection
jimbrax wrote:
Never understood the point of DVD collections. How many times can you watch the same film? Absolute waste of money.
Some films, about once a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I see a small DVD collection I sometimes suspect that the owner prefers digital movies that has fallen out of a truck.

P.S. Love Smiley Kenobi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

Not having DVDs is due to be the new normal, when you just watch everything streamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

California
msg tools
Andy Parsons wrote:
So, a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes. Mine barely mumbles a sentence: -

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy (the 1979 BBC tv series, not the more recent movie)

The fact is that I don't watch a great deal of tv and, when I do, prefer to view something new rather than an old favourite over and over again.

Anyway,i will not be a DVD collector forever.It is a funny thing that spending lots of money to collect DVD for "speaks volumes".
P.S.I am another Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Andy Parsons wrote:

My tastes are similar, but I'd imagine that revealing this to a woman who makes a point of checking out DVD collections possibly suggests a man who can't commit, whose attention is liable to wander, and isn't one for settling down.

This may or may not be the impression you'd like to create if she were to visit your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a question: Which would you rather a woman judge you by - the contents of your DVD collection? or the contents of your refrigerator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
I'd imagine that revealing this to a woman who makes a point of checking out DVD collections possibly suggests a man who can't commit, whose attention is liable to wander, and isn't one for settling down.

Good point. Tricky. I'm presuming that "Too busy playing boardgames to watch DVDs" is not a great line either?

Sinister Dexter wrote:
So, a question: Which would you rather a woman judge you by - the contents of your DVD collection? or the contents of your refrigerator?

The contents of my fridge, always. I'm a very keen cook so there's more in it and most of it is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Never understood the point of DVD collections. How many times can you watch the same film? Absolute waste of money.

Film? What about TV shows that weren't available for viewing in this country? 15 years ago, the world was a different place.

Also, for movies that I enjoy, I could see them once or maybe twice a year. For my favorites, once a month (or more!) when they're new.

Why pay for cable TV when there's nothing on, and you could buy a boxed set of DVDs every month for the same price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Why pay for cable TV when there's nothing on?

And miss Real Housewives of Fargo? I think not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:

If you want to watch a movie with your family, and you have a reasonable home theater system, it saves a lot of money to just buy the DVD instead of going to the movies. With the added bonuses that you can pause the movie if you want to visit the restroom, you have cheap drinks and food on hand, and you do not need to get annoyed by the behavior of the other movie goers.

So yeah, even if you watch a movie only once, buying the DVD is usually the preferred choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely buy DVD's any more. If a film knocks my socks off, only then will I buckle and buy, as a show of appreciation.

The trouble is I own a small collection of around 200 DVD's, of which the majority can now be downloaded as 1080p Bluray rips. Putting the quality of my originals to shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb

Andy Parsons wrote:
So, a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes.

Whereas I look at the bookshelves which (at least until the last couple of years) say even more.

My DVDs - like my CDs - have been copied to hard disk and the originals put away in storage. But I rarely find time to watch one and I have hundreds of hours (genuinely) of yet to be watched TV programmes also stored on hard disk … you can get an awful lot of TV* on a 3TB drive that only costs £100.
* unfortunately you can also get a lot of awful TV

I'm still not up to date with Midsomer Murders, am only half way throungh the recent Father Brown series, and am only just up to date with Death in Paradise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine says "this guy has spent way too much time rifling through the $5 dvd bin at Wal Mart".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an Onion article headlined "Harsh Light of Dawn Reveals One Night Stand's Awful DVD Collection"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Between Netflix and our library system, I really have no need to have cable, but my wife likes to watch news and the kids are devotees of Martha Speaks (for some strange reason).
Unless you are in a very rural area you should be able to pull these off the air for the cost of a good antenna. Martha Speaks is on PBS and over the air and news is available either online (get a Roku box or such) or through the antenna as well.

I have an antenna plugged into my computer so record all the PBS kids shows as a background service, everything else is either library or some service like Hulu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
There was an Onion article headlined "Harsh Light of Dawn Reveals One Night Stand's Awful DVD Collection"

It is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 100 dvds, singles and collections. The only reason I don't have a lot more is because I buy boardgames. And I will watch a movie multiple times. A few, I've watched at least a dozen times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Onion article is very good. I particularly liked

"It struck me as weird that the same person would possess both Hellraiser 2 and Holy Man," Pearle said. "What did it mean? That he's a guy with eclectic tastes, and therefore tolerant and open-minded? Or is he just meek and wishy-washy, surrendering his tastes and imagination to arbitrary pop-culture dictates?"

You could insert Tinker, Tailor and the Pixies concert video and that would be me being judged. This DVD thing is a minefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy (the 1979 BBC tv series, not the more recent movie)

Obviously the woman cannot read because if she had any intellect then she would look at your book shelves. I would stay well clear
Though, you could always go to the local thrift store and spend 10 dollars getting a whole bunch of sentimental movies - Love Actually, Pride and Prejudice, Pretty Woman etc...
Or you could just keep your games and wait for the perfect woman who appreciates art when she sees it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
I have about 200 DVD's that I've collected over the years. I usually only get my media online nowadays(Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Nefarious Ways, etc.) So I spent the last couple months trying to sell all these DVD's on craiglist. Started with $3 apiece...nothing. Then $2 apiece...nothing. Then I posted them for $1 a apiece...not a single sale.

DVD's are dead, and I am stuck with them until I die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have about 200 DVD's that I've collected over the years. I usually only get my media online nowadays(Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Nefarious Ways, etc.) So I spent the last couple months trying to sell all these DVD's on craiglist. Started with $3 apiece...nothing. Then $2 apiece...nothing. Then I posted them for $1 a apiece...not a single sale.

Bundle them and sell them in a garage sale - someone will buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of our dvds are pre-our-Netflix/Amazon-subscriptions. If our library didn't have it, & the kids wanted to watch it a lot, then we own it. Lately, we've just been buying the ones we want to be able to watch at a drop of a hat, because sometimes they aren't available online. Latest one was "Attack the Gas Station", because it made me cry with laughter.

And I agree, why isn't she looking at the bookcase? Or the fridge? Seems judgy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Dude.. Amazon trade in. You won't get a lot and you won't get cash but you will get Amazon credit which is the next best thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
Kafka wrote:

Dude.. Amazon trade in. You won't get a lot and you won't get cash but you will get Amazon credit which is the next best thing.

Well I searched through a dozen movies so far, and each one was 25 cents each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.