Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
And I agree, why isn't she looking at the bookcase? Or the fridge? Seems judgy.

Poking around in my fridge uninvited would be less judgy than checking the small pile of DVDs in plain view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
Celinashope wrote:
And I agree, why isn't she looking at the bookcase? Or the fridge? Seems judgy.

Poking around in my fridge uninvited would be less judgy that checking the small pile of DVDs in plain view?

Now that you point that out... no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have about 200 DVD's that I've collected over the years. I usually only get my media online nowadays(Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Nefarious Ways, etc.) So I spent the last couple months trying to sell all these DVD's on craiglist. Started with $3 apiece...nothing. Then $2 apiece...nothing. Then I posted them for $1 a apiece...not a single sale.

DVD's are dead, and I am stuck with them until I die.

We sold several last year at our garage sale for $2-3 apiece. We sold all the DVDs and ancient VHS we put out. Maybe Austin's just weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I think I heard someone say something about it before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have a pretty large collection but I did dispose of about 100 discs that were on Netflix already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Most of our dvds are pre-our-Netflix/Amazon-subscriptions. If our library didn't have it, & the kids wanted to watch it a lot, then we own it.

This is where most of ours came from. kids will watch a dvd until it wears out. My son went thru THREE Adam west "batman the movie" dvds!

I have maybe 50 dvds in my office. my favorites. mostly old 50s monster movies and such that aren't on cable or netfix. A few anime, and tv shows. Maybe a dozen modern monster and cowboy movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Never understood the point of DVD collections. How many times can you watch the same film? Absolute waste of money.

It's obvious you don't have kids. Preschoolers get "hooked" on one or two movies and will watch the same ones over and over and over again. My son loved the Rescue Rangers DVD that came with one of his toys and watched it daily for an entire summer -- sometimes more than once a day. If I had had to pay the $3.99 streaming fee every time he wanted to see it, we'd have gone broke.

By the third or fourth time a kid has watched the same DVD you are already money ahead of any streaming service -- Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, what-have-you. So, if you have kids, owning the DVD of their favorites can save you a bundle.

We have three classification levels for buying DVDs of movies we see in the theater: One we all really liked we'll pay up to $15 for from Amazon or some other source. If we all kinda liked it we would pay $10 if it's on sale. And ones we thought were OK we'd pay $5 if we found it in a bargain bin.

We have 400+ DVDs sitting on our shelves, and the vast majority are family and kid-friendly films that we all like. My kids are 13 and 11 now, so we've been able to expand the range of the movies we buy, and have given away the ones they had when they were toddlers and pre-schoolers.

Every Friday evening is our "pizza and movie night". My wife makes homemade pizzas for dinner, then we adjourn to the family room and watch a movie either on disk or on a streaming service. We rotate whose turn it is to pick the movie each week, and everyone has to watch what is chosen. We've managed to introduce our kids to some classic black-and-white films that they enjoyed despite themselves.

So, there are cogent reasons to own movies on disk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
So, a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes. Mine barely mumbles a sentence: -

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (the 1979 BBC tv series, not the more recent movie)

Pixies - Sell Out 2004 Reunion Tour

A handful of films I got free with newspapers and haven't watched.

The fact is that I don't watch a great deal of tv and, when I do, prefer to view something new rather than an old favourite over and over again.

What does my DVD collection say to you? Am I...unusual?

Andy, I think the problem is that this woman is an idiot and nobody should give a hoot what she thinks. Especially with the criteria she is using for judging a person.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a large DVD/Blu-Ray collection, I will say.

My wife has a core set of movies that she watches over and over, usually as a kind of "background noise" while she's working on projects.

For me, I have a core set of things I watch about once a year or so. I'd say at least 33% of our collection is stuff that's just going to gather dust. The rest is stuff that comes up for watching as the mood strikes. I don't regret them, even though I've slowed waaaay down in adding to them, due to streaming films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Between Netflix and our library system, I really have no need to have cable, but my wife likes to watch news and the kids are devotees of Martha Speaks (for some strange reason).

I take it your not a sports fan. That's the only thing I really miss much anymore. ESPN3 streamed a lot of sports I liked to watch, but this year they went all watch espn and partnered up with the cable companies so you can only stream if you have cable already.

I don't understand the point, if I had cable, I would be watching it not the streaming.

It's a good thing I go to nearly all the sporting events I want to watch live (helps I live in a college town and most of the interest I have is with the local college)

But the road games I usually either go to, or go to a bar to watch. Which helps keep my Guinness intake regular. So I guess I can deal. What I do miss is flipping through and watching basketball or football between two teams I have only a passing interest in, rather than games where I am definitely interested in the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a film geek, and I enjoy having my favorite movies on DVD. I know it's dying technology (my wife is fond of reminding me of this whenever I get a box from Amazon), and I know I could probably stream them or download them onto a hard drive or something, but I don't care. I don't really buy myself a lot of junk otherwise, and truth to tell I don't buy half of them anyway, since I put them on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas and birthdays, and the rest I usually get on points from my Amazon credit card.

Also, I like supporting the people who put this stuff out there in a quality product, like The Criterion Collection and Kino on Video. I imagine some of that money goes back to the people who are restoring old films, which is also a good thing as far as I am concerned.

I do watch them repeatedly…the best ones you can watch over and over. I can, anyway. I find it more odd that people will watch 20 hours of a forgettable TV show that just goes around in circles even one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, I find it weird when I go over to someone's place and they have no books. I mean, yeah, there's reading devices and all, but they only came out recently. What about before that? Their whole lives they never bought a single book? That's just creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
On a side note, I find it weird when I go over to someone's place and they have no books. I mean, yeah, there's reading devices and all, but they only came out recently. What about before that? Their whole lives they never bought a single book? That's just creepy.

Too heavy to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection is limited to favorites I am likely to watch again. Somewhere about 30.

Oddly, I am finding I favor DVD over BluRay. The BluRay just takes too !@#@!# long to get to the movie. No, I don't want a preview of some old movie. No, I have not stolen this. No, I don't need to see your studio logo. JUST give me the !@#!@# movie. No, I don't need to see Disney's castle again. The MOVIE.

If I have to see one more "Sorry, this skip button is a prohibited user operation" one more time I am gonna scream!

I really don't have the time or inclination to buy a BluRay drive for my PC in order to rip them to hard drive. I just want to watch the move. Arrgh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:

I think Maya Girl & I lived together for more than a year before we dared to merge our libraries. And even then, it was semi-traumatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Gola wrote:

Library. They gots them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
As for DVDs, I'm glad I purchased the many weird little movies I love, given that the whole streaming thing hasn't settled out yet. Many of the ones I find infinitely rewatchable are either not available anywhere or I'd have to subscribe to three different providers to get them all.*

*And no, I won't torrent—I make my living off of IP and so respect the creator's right need to be paid for their efforts. Show me an artist who is pro-torrent and not independently wealthy, without a day job or other means of support & I'll show you an impending suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
HiveGod wrote:

I think Maya Girl & I lived together for more than a year before we dared to merge our libraries. And even then, it was semi-traumatic.

It was indeed difficult putting my Heinlein next to her Stephenie Meyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Gola wrote:

Too heavy to move.

Yep, they're heavy. Yep, I've moved all over the country many, many times. Still not giving them up. Still will keep buying them. To me, "too heavy to move" has not been and never will be a valid argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a bunch of DVDs, mostly bought on clearance and/or yard sales... Most of them have been once once, or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

You merged your libraries?? Ew, gross! I've been living with my wife for more than fifteen years, but that doesn't mean that we're swapping toothbrushes and mixing up the damn books and DVDs. Boundaries, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

You merged your libraries?? Ew, gross! I've been living with my wife for more than fifteen years, but that doesn't mean that we're swapping toothbrushes and mixing up the damn books and DVDs. Boundaries, man.

When Jeff and I merged our CD collections, they were a perfect complement. The libraries were less merged and more just "placed next to each other," since mine was mostly non-fiction (with some British Lit) and his was mostly fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got just north of 500 DVDs & blu-rays. Yeah, I know, shut up.

Anyway, I like having them available no matter what contract BS goes on at Netflix. I also like that nobody can change them or force me to watch a "new and improved" version of anything. I do have a home media server now, but I've limited it to James Bond and TV shows so I don't eat all my HD space inside of a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Andy, I think the problem is that this woman is an idiot and nobody should give a hoot what she thinks.

No, she's all right. Her comment about checking a DVD collection wasn't made entirely seriously. She'd definitely be amused to see the discussion she has sparked on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.