Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have Blu-Rays A-Z, then DVDs A-Z and then TV A-Z. I would have integrated the Blu-Rays into DVDs but as Blu-Rays are shorter it meant I could make the top few shelves shorter and fit an extra one in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes. Mine
... says, here is a man who goes into too many charity shops* looking for boardgames, coming out unsatisfied but with a consolatory DVD.

*thrift stores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho wrote:
Andy Parsons wrote:
a woman at work says that whenever she visits someone's home for the first time, she takes a look at their DVD collection as it speaks volumes. Mine
... says, here is a man who goes into too many charity shops* looking for boardgames, coming out unsatisfied but with a consolatory DVD.

*thrift stores

Haha, that's exactly what I do.
"Hmmm, let's look at the games. 99% unlikely that there's anything here but still....Nope nothing. Oh well, might as well look at the DVDs and CDs while I'm here then."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wandered into my back room to choose a dvd, and spent so long I end up thinking "ok, now its too late in the night"

I've got over 1000, mostly dvd, a few dozen bd, and even some hddvds (dont mention the war!).

Thats 1000+ titles too - not discs. Not many $2 titles from bargain bins either. Lots of titles I had to import, before you could download anything you wanted so easily.

Cant think of an easy way to get rid of them (and make anything back). Theres probably some hard to get hold off titles, but those would be the ones I dont mind keeping.

Eased off buying nowadays, only the stuff that looks good on the big screen (Avengers, Iron Man etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Be sure to read carefully! When my son got home after his first meeting wearing a kilt and speaking in brogue, I realized I had signed him up for the Boy Scots.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
On a side note, I find it weird when I go over to someone's place and they have no books. I mean, yeah, there's reading devices and all, but they only came out recently. What about before that? Their whole lives they never bought a single book? That's just creepy.

Years ago (before we had kids) my wife and I would sometimes go to open houses on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, touring homes for ideas in case we ever got to build a house someday. I remember several houses we toured that had absolutely no books in the house, and this was back in the late '90s, before e-books even existed. No bookshelves anywhere, and none even in the kids' rooms. How does a kid grow up to be decent without anything from Scholastic Book Services or any of the Cat in the Hat series in their life?

We just had to shake our heads and pity the empty lives of people who have so little imagination that they don't own/read books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Gola wrote:
On a side note, I find it weird when I go over to someone's place and they have no books. I mean, yeah, there's reading devices and all, but they only came out recently. What about before that? Their whole lives they never bought a single book? That's just creepy.

Years ago (before we had kids) my wife and I would sometimes go to open houses on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, touring homes for ideas in case we ever got to build a house someday. I remember several houses we toured that had absolutely no books in the house, and this was back in the late '90s, before e-books even existed. No bookshelves anywhere, and none even in the kids' rooms. How does a kid grow up to be decent without anything from Scholastic Book Services or any of the Cat in the Hat series in their life?

We just had to shake our heads and pity the empty lives of people who have so little imagination that they don't own/read books.
The "average" American reads two books a year. I'm guessing that the median American actually reads zero books a year, and those of us who do read pull the average up considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Gola wrote:

I used to have books. hundreds of them. Then I got a nook and I chose to use my shelf space for games instead. So, no books now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
claymore_57 wrote:
Gola wrote:

I used to have books. hundreds of them. Then I got a nook and I chose to use my shelf space for games instead. So, no books now.
So did you re-purchase those books that you got rid of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!