Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions about how to restock the adventure gems on the board:

1) If there is already an event card in play (let's say level 3) and I draw a lower level event card (let's say level 1), I know the card doesn't come into play BUT is the restock of the starburst-backed gem spaces still triggered?

2) In the last game we played we had very few events come out and it seems to me that you can get in a situation (which we almost did) where there are no more gems on the board, and it's even easier to get in a situation where there are no more say green and yellow gems and yet you are too weak to tackle blues or reds and so you are stuck. What's the fix for this... am I missing something?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, events with the Star symbol refresh Gems on the board, even if it's a lower level event. I've only had what you explained in question 2 once in the Frozen Wastes expansion. You could try higher level encounters. What I do now before I set a game up is to make sure the events are evenly spaced in the appropriate decks before I shuffle the cards to get a good mix. If they are stacked together, a bad shuffle could keep them grouped, possibly near the bottom of the decks causing problems of Gems refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you desperately need a refresh and didn't prepare deck to have events evenly spaced there's still hope.

If you see that there are only 7 spots that you can tackle you can just escape from all 7. If you do you'll fill undefeated track. Once you have undefeated track full and run away from 7th challenge you will remove 1 undefeated from track, and it's gem will again be normal. Like this you can cycle trough challenges until event finally appears(or 10 events at once).

Also you could just attempt blues if you ran out of yellows and greens. Run away, and maybe one of them would be global event.

It's one of reasons why I like Al-Kalim - there, if you travel during day and get at least one plains on the movement dice you can refresh gem, even if it doesn't have sun symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
In the last game we played we had very few events come out and it seems to me that you can get in a situation (which we almost did) where there are no more gems on the board, and it's even easier to get in a situation where there are no more say green and yellow gems and yet you are too weak to tackle blues or reds and so you are stuck.

Does seem to be a bit of a broken mechanic. How many people did you play with?

My theory (but have only run into the situation once) is that it occurs mainly when you have 4 players - you have a good number of players foraging for exp, a 33% higher level up requirement than 5, and the same number of gems on the board as 3.

The Mists roaming monsters rule might help - lets people earn money to buy stuff which will help them defeat higher level gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was indeed 4 players. But we played with 3 XP needed to level up and we also played with random encounters, which solves the XP situation but not the lack of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By Mists rules (haven't played myself yet - not sure why, i do have the box), dont roaming encounters give money but not xp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
something else to consider that I had forgotten -
were you playing with Terrors of the Tomb and/or Dark Forest? Both of those adventure expansions don't have events, so using them will dilute your chances of getting refreshed. Adding 30 cards without globals is a pretty big change in percentages. The other expansions all have 5.

I believe I played with both of them when I ran into the same problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.