A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say how big an impact it will have but it sure isn't going to be a positive one. Hopefully others will mitigate this with more competitive rates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd love to see intercontinental partnerships open up between companies. The problem is that the N. American based companies far outweigh international ones in terms of production and releases. So a reciprocal shipping arrangement between the two to stage releases domestically and internationally probably would be VERY lopsided for N. American publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If shipping keeps going up, sometime it would be cheaper for the wargame producers in the US to get a printer + warehouse in Europe and print the games in different places.

I mean, if all the big guys worked together here, maybe it would be doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
It's hard to say how big an impact it will have but it sure isn't going to be a positive one.

I'm betting the Sentry Box in Calgary will love it, if it means more people visit the store and buy stuff in person because it is cheaper for the FLGS to buy and ship in bulk than it is for individuals to buy games one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Would it be a good business venture to receive packages in Niagara, New York (for instance), walk them across the border, and then mail them with the Canadian post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
For North American game traders:

I just checked current rates. Vancouver to Montreal (used as an example) is C$15.11. And USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate is now $12.35. Combined, that's still less than the USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate to Canada ($40.95).

So, I think we should see if there are accomodating gamers on both sides of the US/CAN border who could serve as couriers. People who could receive packages on their side of the border, then transport them over the border by car/truck/bike/foot/pack mule to use the neighboring country's domestic mail to finish the job.

Ideally, a network of these kind, helpful individuals, across several points along the borders, would also reduce the domestic shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Steeves
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just change the scope of NAFTA, that'll be easy to do eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
usrlocal wrote:
J.L.: Interesting idea re: network of 'wargame runners', but our Customs officers may raise an eyebrow at a backseat full of wargames at a border crossing.
Surely there are some forgotten logging paths that cross in to Canada...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
J.L.: Interesting idea re: network of 'wargame runners', but our Customs officers may raise an eyebrow at a backseat full of wargames at a border crossing.

I think Customs will be more busy with non-regulated tobacco products and prescription medication than to worry about wargames.

Oh wait, you said YOUR Customs officers. You're right, THEY might not have anything else to worry about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet ANOTHER underground railroad ?

Too bad the Prohibition has been cancelled.

These empty trucks returning to Canada to pick up more Canadian Scotch Whiskey might have come in handy ...

Does anyone have "Nucky" Thompson's phone number ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to start our own wargamer's delivery service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, most of the games are printed in China, so they would only need someone assembling the games and storing them in "non-US".

Not sure if there is enough demand to allow for such an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

Bringing a bunch of wargames across the US border is a big maybe. Officially, if you're bringing in items for other people, you are a fully fledged importer. That enatils all kinds of serious paperwork. However, if you explain that it's a club lot purchase, they may well give you a wink and a pass. I find the Canada Border Services Agency quite reasonable.

I just received "It Never Snows" from MMP. Postage was $12.55. MMP does a very smart thing here. They don't use any of the USPS services that include shipping insurance nor tracking. So, it's much much cheaper. The idea is that it is far cheaper to absord one or two reshipments than to pay the higher postage costs and insurance fees on 1000 individual shipments. I believe Troll and Toad uses the same approach.

I use Border Mail Depot which is a shipping receiving agent immediately across the US border. I take advantage of far cheaper USPS shipping costs and then go and pick up the package(s) myself. If you are close enough to the US border to make it worthwhile, be aware that there is a $5 premium to be paid per package. That's fine. The real kicker is the cost of gas for the drive there and back home. For me it is only worthwhile if I group packages for a trip. I also frequently save on the cost of the GST and PST as often the border guard just waves me through.

As for the USPS price increase, MMP charged me $1.70 more than the initial invoice way back when I initially pre-ordered. I imagine GMT will also recalculate P500 invoices but we'll see.

Even before the USPS price increase, with the US' cheaper prices, after adding in shipping, it costs as much to order from the US, shipping to Canada, as it does to purchase from a Canadian store. It then becomes a question of availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Stand firm, Canuck brothers, against the imperial pressure; independence is always worth the higher postage! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Ashton
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
writing a book on the Eastern Front
badge
panzermatters.com
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
... I just received "It Never Snows" from MMP. Postage was $12.55 ...

Sadly the $12.55 price is no longer available from USPS as of today, and you don't want to know the new price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
1) Non-US customers - how will this impact your online shopping from US companies?
2) US sellers/traders - will you bother to ship internationally anymore?
3) Given the relatively small size of our hobby, what impact will this all have on US-based publishers?

Some stuff I learned, recently:

1) My P500 copy of Fading Glory arrived a week or so ago and I was shocked to see a postage sticker that read $30 (and some cents). Since I was charged only $12 for shipping by GMT I wondered if they get a corporate rate that is not reflected on the postage sticker, or they simply 'take it on the chin' where shipping costs are concerned OR someone made a mistake and it *should* not have cost that much.
Did anyone else in Canuckistan happen to notice what the postage sticker read on their box with Fading Glory in it?

2) USPS still offers First Class International service and, while that's increased in cost, also, at $21.75 for a 3lb. package it's a great deal less jarring than $40.
Now, the struggle will be to convince traders, BGG sellers and retailers to not automatically reach for the Flat Rate boxes.

3) Like Isaac, I live fairly close to the border and, during the spring and early summer, I'm in Minnesota a lot of the time. Having parcels delivered there is no problem...at that time. If a P500 ships between August and February, though, that's a small problem. The timing of trades and purchases (games and otherwise) is going to be critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Canadian Scotch Whiskey

It can't be both 'Scotch' and 'Canadian', mate

If you would like to learn more and are prepared to bring over the required 'research tools' and 'visual aids' I will tell you allllll about it. We'll begin with the single malts and work our way down to rye...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up on P500 and buying directly from the US about 3 years ago - partly rising shipping rates (although nothing like what is being suggested they might be now) but mainly as games coming into the UK started getting charged import VAT (annoying but understandable) and associated handling charge. This took prices over and above what you ended up paying once the game was available at retail.

I suspect many other European gamers also dropped out of P500 (and buying direct) when this happened - so how many are left to impact on P500 when this shipping hike kicks in.....I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine distribution channels have been using something called freight forwarding for quite a while, especially since the nice kind folks at USPS dropped surface shipping as an option.

I do think that maybe licencing ultimately might be the go when it comes to sidestepping the hit that comes from the shipping rates.

With the Australian dollar's value so high (compared to the US dollar), it already is not worth the effort to sell anything to the US (even less so with the postage rates from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
I wonder if this will put some wind in the sails of digital delivery methods (PnP, PDF-only scenario packs, etc.).

(edit) According to a friend of mine, this model has caught on well in the RPG universe.

One of the things it has done for RPG publishing is a dramatic increase in the number of small presses in the field, largely liberated from the costs involved in printing physical books. Combine that with open system licenses that enable writers to concentrate on setting and style with the heavy lifting of system design done for them, and you get a completely changed environment. And now publishers can go to print-on-demand houses, enabling them to produce physical books without having the cost of a thousand-copy print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
usrlocal wrote:
So, as you may or may not be aware, as of today USPS international shipping rates have just gone through the roof (just verified that a typically-sized wargame will now cost around $40 to ship from USA to Canada via Priority Mail International - more ($50 and beyond) for larger and heavier wargames).

Gone through the roof? I got "sticker shock" last month when I shipped a book and several flat microgames to Canada and it cost $33 - talk about putting a damper on international trades as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
usrlocal wrote:
Let's please keep this civil and more or less on-topic. :)

Take off, you hoser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey! That means my P500 order for Operation Dauntless is going to be $79 with shipping? I may simply cancel and wait until it hits the shelves of J&J in Waterloo at $59. Doesn't really seem worth it. Tell me I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
So, as you may or may not be aware, as of today USPS international shipping rates have just gone through the roof (just verified that a typically-sized wargame will now cost around $40 to ship from USA to Canada via Priority Mail International - more ($50 and beyond) for larger and heavier wargames).

Does anyone know how this impacts existing P500 orders with companies like GMT and MMP? We've had our credit cards 'charged' with S&H calculated at the older postal rates, correct? Will companies honor those quoted prices or will total amounts be recalculated prior to shipping? If vendors don't recalculate to account for shipping increases, I don't see how they can honor their international preorders without taking a financial hit.

Should international customers cancel preorders from US companies and buy locally for these reasons? Seems that either the customer or the vendor is going to have to absorb a pretty significant price increase one way or the other if existing P500 orders are shipped under the new rates.

And the bigger questions:

1) Non-US customers - how will this impact your online shopping from US companies?
3) Given the relatively small size of our hobby, what impact will this all have on US-based publishers?

Given how most of us either receive or ship wargames internationally, these are legitimate questions that deserve some reasonable discussion here, IMHO. Let's please keep this civil and more or less on-topic.

As an occasional seller and trader of games, this makes me less likely to want to trade, but will not affect my selling practices. I already would try to find the cheapest way to send to Canadian buyers. However, the buyers will probably be even less interested in buying standard games from any US shipper.

US based publishers will probably just jack up the shipping rate, or possibly re-think using a local distributor to execute distribution and shipping in Canada or other country.

As for digitally distributed content, it is already on the rise. With color lasers, and even some high quality inkjet printers available for next to nothing in cost...it just makes sense. Increasingly, people are going to go to playing games on their tablets, or print and play. There will always be the wargamers who insist on a hard copy...but I think you will see a gradual transition to digital media.

Just like Amazon, a growing portion of the sales for books is going electronic. However, people are still buying hard copies of books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
And the bigger questions:

Given how most of us either receive or ship wargames internationally, these are legitimate questions that deserve some reasonable discussion here, IMHO. Let's please keep this civil and more or less on-topic.

1) Adversely, which is a shame, as I really like supporting the publishers, and getting my games early . The sad fact is that a P500 purchase sent from the US costs me more than waiting 6 months and buying it from a webstore in the EU (no FLGS carrying wargames in my town)

3) I don't know the ratio of non-US to US customers, but I could see some value for the publishers to have have 'official partners' in other economic zones (at least the EU), who would distribute the P500 orders. For me, it would cut down on shipping and eliminate a 25-40$ surcharge from danish customs.

Come to think of it; I'll write GMT and suggest just that to them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.