Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
My (Canadian) friends who run Mercury Games have already solved this problem for pre-orders of their new game Quarantine.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/918073/mercury-games-mak...

GMT will simply have to do something like this if they want to keep international customers in P500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
Coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those prices are the ones that we have been seeing for the last 2 year south of the border, GMT on the other hand have never charged that much for shipping, CSI and the other online sellers have been charging between 48 to 50 USD to ship.

For example I ordered Merchants & Marauders last November the game was 40is h and the shipping was actually higher than the price of the game.

But GMT fall sale the shipping costs where half of it, I guess they have a corporate discount or they are absorbing some portion of the cost in order to continue selling to customers like me outside of the US.

Whats the solution?.

Consolidate your sales in one big shipment so that at least the price wont be that higher.

Or consider FedEx since the prices are almost the same lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the problem with overseas shipping is not the cost. I know a lot of folks are happy to pay the cost. It's the time committment to get to the post office, wait in line (s-l-o-w-e-s-t employees ever), fill out all the forms, etc. Also, they are closing down a lot of post offices (including the one down the street I used to use) which creates even longer lines at the ones that stay open.

On top of that, I get great shipping rates at work for UPS. Easy to drop things off, etc. Unfortunately, due to an incident where someone tried shipping snake-skin boots without declaring them, we can't ship internationally from work.

So, as much as I would love to keep sending things internationally, I just can't anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to wait and see what GMT has to say about the shipping increase. currently they are the only company that I preorder from. If prices climb high, I'll approach either Fungamescafe or another retailer to place my preorder for me.
The biggest problem is going to be during the annual P500 cust appreciation sale, if they continue. I look forward to a savings due to my p500 support.
Some people will argue and say the sale with the shipping isn't much of a savings, but I don't really care, that is unless the shipping cost climbs incredibly high.

Lately, the past two years or so, I've been buying directly from game companies or bands and their storefronts more often than other places. bands are beginning to place "limited" edition items or versions up for early preorder, and I feel I'm giving more of my money to either the boardgame company or the band.

Wait and see.

maybe GMT or another company with a significant preorder system to set up a Canadian face, someone that brings in a large quantity of the pre ordered product and then distributes inside the country, all the while maintaining the P500 list and giving the same type of discount for continued loyalty.

I'm hesitant to order anything that requires either UPS or FedEx as they charge a crazy brokerage fee for most everything they ship.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In a larger wargaming community it might be wise to pool orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Seems that either the customer or the vendor is going to have to absorb a pretty significant price increase one way or the other if existing P500 orders are shipped under the new rates.

GMT is already paying huge part of shipping. This was my earlery post - pointing to this problem

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/914020/gmt-please-reconsider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone can said how much in % was the increase in the prices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If kinda suprise can't make it into Canada, i'm not sure how well wargame runners will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
Seems that either the customer or the vendor is going to have to absorb a pretty significant price increase one way or the other if existing P500 orders are shipped under the new rates.

GMT is already paying huge part of shipping.

We should be concerned with the health of the publishers in addition to everything else. Either they lose a substantial piece of their business or they pay virtually prohibitive shipping costs that remove the margin from the sales. GMT and other publishers on that scale (we ain't talking Hasbro here) have been put in a horrible position and I do not envy their quests for solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Edlund
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Today just isn't your day...
mbmbmbmbmb
Canada, so close to America, so far from God.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
This will also hurt math trades. As it is a lot of people don't like shipping math trade games to Canada much to the understandable chagrin of our neighbors to the north. Upping the price will not help that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

And the bigger questions:

1) Non-US customers - how will this impact your online shopping from US companies?

For me personally, less frequent but larger orders, and only preordering from retailers who can delay shipping.

BTW, one common method in Asia to cut down on shipping is to send all purchases to the US address of a friend or family member who consolidates them and only forwards when there's enough to fill one huge and cheap surface shipping box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Quote:
Canadian Scotch Whiskey

It can't be both 'Scotch' and 'Canadian', mate

If you would like to learn more and are prepared to bring over the required 'research tools' and 'visual aids' I will tell you allllll about it. We'll begin with the single malts and work our way down to rye...

Well, if we have a Canadian Scottish Regiment, we surely must have the Whiskey that comes with it, right ?

My father was part of that unit and saw action in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany in WW II. He is still alive at 95 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:

1) My P500 copy of Fading Glory arrived a week or so ago and I was shocked to see a postage sticker that read $30 (and some cents).
Did anyone else in Canuckistan happen to notice what the postage sticker read on their box with Fading Glory in it?

It cost GMT $30+ to ship Fading Glory me. I was shocked as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this means less trading for me.
I'll have to be choosier with my P500 picks and spread my expenses across fewer games. Unless I find some newfound will to defer purchases and buy them from my local online e-tailer that allows pickup. Alas, they've been carrying fewer wargames and I suspect that the cost if games will go up in response to the higher shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foo Dog wrote:
I'll have to be choosier with my P500 picks and spread my expenses across fewer games. Unless I find some newfound will to defer purchases and buy them from my local online e-tailer that allows pickup. Alas, they've been carrying fewer wargames and I suspect that the cost if games will go up in response to the higher shipping.

Well I will think twice for sure about any games with mounted maps. I'm looking at you No Retreat! The North African Front. I can wait for a domestic purchase.

Of course I do have the fortunate circumstance of snowbird in-laws, but I wouldn't use them for P500 as you never know when they might come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Foo Dog wrote:

I would think this could also be a problem - that retailers outside the US will have to increase their prices accordingly, unless GMT is able to work out shipping deals with them, or they get some sort of bulk deal. Going to those retailers would still be cheaper than ordering directly from the US, but there will likely be SOME sort of price increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
I wonder if this will put some wind in the sails of digital delivery methods (PnP, PDF-only scenario packs, etc.).

(edit) According to a friend of mine, this model has caught on well in the RPG universe.

I would Definitely NOT want to PnP games like It Never Snows or Case Blue.

It works in the RPG business because all you need is a handful (or more given AD&D ) books and your imagination...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

And the bigger questions:

1) Non-US customers - how will this impact your online shopping from US companies?
2) US sellers/traders - will you bother to ship internationally anymore?
3) Given the relatively small size of our hobby, what impact will this all have on US-based publishers?

Given how most of us either receive or ship wargames internationally, these are legitimate questions that deserve some reasonable discussion here, IMHO. Let's please keep this civil and more or less on-topic.

I usually shop only with ONE German company that gives me some % off because I'm a member of a wargame club he is supporting.

When I saw the MMP Black Friday sale it made no sense for me to buy a game for 40 bucks and paying 40 bucks for shipping (plus tax on the full 80 bucks).

IMHO the vendors like GMT, MMP aso. will see a decrease in pre-orders and so should open up to the possibilities to count pre-orders thru other vendors. If not you Americans have to get thru the Px - threshold alone. I know that some do but most of the companies don't because they have to calculate the discount for the re-seller too. Maybe lift the Px - number or give the rest of the world a chance to Px a game w/o gettin' it shipped from the company. In this case you can see the interest in a game and record the names to make sure that one person isn't pre-ordering 600 copies and then zoom out.

We'll see.

Shopping from the US given the rates is very unlikely for me. I use my FLGS - especially since he has a real store plus an added internet - store as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Kluvon wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
J.L.: Interesting idea re: network of 'wargame runners', but our Customs officers may raise an eyebrow at a backseat full of wargames at a border crossing.
Surely there are some forgotten logging paths that cross in to Canada...

Two words: 'infrared' and 'drones'.

Two more words: Somali Pirates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I gave up ( pre- )ordering from USA years ago. The ever rising shipping cost and a 35$ handling fee to the royal danish mail makes it too expensive for all but the most expensive games.

If I really want a game, I pre-order from a european retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Removed Operation Dauntless from my GMT preorders; I'll just wait until it hits my FLGS or Sentry Box/Germangames/Meeplemart etc, where it will be $20 more than pre-order price and $20 less than what it would have costs shipped. Can't risk $40 for shipping.

soblue

I did keep CC BP#5 and #6 in the queue though since they come in flatter envelopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb

Sadly, I also just cancelled two preorders with GMT. With that much shipping, the discounted preorder price will very probably be quite a bit more expensive than buying it at my FLGS or at Godboma. Hopefully, GMT will be able to make arrangements with a canadian company to lessen the effects of the rate hikes.

I still have one preorder with MMP (war of the Suns) which I won't cancel for fear of never seeing it published...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget that P500 is not simply a matter of gauging interest. P500 is a significant earner for companies like GMT and MMP. While they sell games directly at 60%-75% of MSRP while on pre-order, they sell games to distributors at 30%.

FYI: I purchase from a U.S. tool manufacturer that has a shipping plan specific to Canadians. They have an arrangement with UPS wherein shipments are pooled and shipped across the US-Canada border as a single lot, and then UPS Canada splits up and continues with the final individual deliveries. In that way, there is none of that $35 (or more) "brokerage fee" per package. Moreover, this is a small tool company, with sales figures likely similar to a company like GMT or MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
J.L.: Interesting idea re: network of 'wargame runners', but our Customs officers may raise an eyebrow at a backseat full of wargames at a border crossing.

And just imagine their reaction at a mule pack full of wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.