Recommend
40 
 Thumb up
 Hide
118 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: USPS increases international shipping rates - P500 implications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
Rob Ryan wrote:

Photoshop?


It sure looks like supersized iphone...


It's not the one in the picture, but a Sony Tap 20 would work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
miljenko wrote:
Rob Ryan wrote:

Photoshop?


It sure looks like supersized iphone...


It's not the one in the picture, but a Sony Tap 20 would work.


They are real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPO8mh6XNz8

Just cost a fortune...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It will only have a marginal affect on me (a non-US customer). BUT I will tend to shop from online retailers that have more varied shipping options than direct from gaming companies. But companies like GMT is already shipping me games from Japan anyhow, so I don't think its going to affect some companies like others.

I am less likely to buy things off eBay because most sellers use USPS only.

The price hike has indirectly increase the value of my collection though (as long as the buyer is in Asia/Oceania.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hm we could do with a GMT depot in Europe.

it would be fun to be able to buy from them directly and take part in P500 stuff, pre orders and what ever they come up with, rahter than have to go through all sorts of local dealers that do their own thing as far as pricing is concerned.

Buying from GMT directly was, with all the costums crap on top of postage, never a valid option.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hm yeah I know Bart, but for personal reasons that's not an option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
UGG has such an arrangement with GMT. You can order P500, shipping from Germany.

I thank you. (though my bank account will not)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
sagitar wrote:
hm we could do with a GMT depot in Europe.

it would be fun to be able to buy from them directly and take part in P500 stuff, pre orders and what ever they come up with, rahter than have to go through all sorts of local dealers that do their own thing as far as pricing is concerned.

Buying from GMT directly was, with all the costums crap on top of postage, never a valid option.


UGG has such an arrangement with GMT. You can order P500, shipping from Germany.


Unfortunately UGG is expensive and their shipping even more so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Grubisic
Croatia
Stobrec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my country, buying directly from GMT with a discount (P500 or fall sale) is definitely the cheapest way to go, since often times shipping within Europe is more costly than the "slow" option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:
I think these days you are better off just buying what you want when it arrives in the UK.

The last Two times I've brought something on P500 (DS: The card game and SE: Close encounters) they were on sale in the UK before mine turned up AND cheaper than I ended up paying.


Agreed - I gave up on P500 and buying direct about 3 years ago - before that was a big supporter of P500. Now I just wait for retail in the UK, which for GMT stuff is usually pretty quick anyway but for some MMP stuff has been up to 6 months on occasion (Kingdom of Heaven, Angola, Breakthrough Cambrai).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Unfortunately UGG is expensive and their shipping even more so.

My bank account thanks you. (though I will not)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate another raise of shipping charge! It forces me off from buying games direct from company like Decision Games (I) which charged me more than the actual shipping cost! Yikes!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
minko wrote:
For my country, buying directly from GMT with a discount (P500 or fall sale) is definitely the cheapest way to go, since often times shipping within Europe is more costly than the "slow" option.


I'm guessing that Croation customs are not so diligent at charging import VAT and therefore the shipping company a the Croation end feeling the need to add an additional £8-12 'handling' charge. Parcels coming into the UK from the US incur an additional 20% VAT charge (the 20% is worked out against the combined value and shipping total) and then the £8-12 handling charge on top of that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Grubisic
Croatia
Stobrec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You get a 25% import tax if your order (whatever is stated on the reciept, GMT states just the game value, so that's a big plus) is above ~53$ and I've been charged an in-coutry shipping fee once (it was about ~19$).

The thing why I really love and prefer GMT is that even in the worst case scenario, it's cheaper than shops that often translate american prices into euros and shipping costs too... Maybe when we join the EU and have no import tax it'll be different...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
minko wrote:
You get a 25% import tax if your order (whatever is stated on the reciept, GMT states just the game value, so that's a big plus) is above ~53$ and I've been charged an in-coutry shipping fee once (it was about ~19$).

The thing why I really love and prefer GMT is that even in the worst case scenario, it's cheaper than shops that often translate american prices into euros and shipping costs too... Maybe when we join the EU and have no import tax it'll be different...


Wow - it remains cheaper despite the 25% and possible +$19 - you must have expensive retail in Croatia.

There is no 'import tax' as such to import boardgames into the UK, it is VAT (20%) which is added to most goods at point of sale (import or otherwise) and I think prevails throughout the EU akthough some countries are better at applying it to lowish value imports than others. The handling charge is however something of a scam by the shipping companies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I Px-ed The Guns of Gettysburg

There are companies who find a solution around the USPS - shipping.

I can pre-order / kickstart this game from an European Distributor (a German company) who

a) grants me the Kickstarter - bonus as listed on their webside
b) charges me when the game is at their store ready to ship - no payment in advance
c) gives me a much better shipping and no customs - problems.

Those other EU-States pay the game-price minus German-tax plus shipping (but might have customs to pay in their country).

I found this solution (beside the game) so clever that I instantly Px-ed.

FYI.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Yesterday I Px-ed The Guns of Gettysburg


a) grants me the Kickstarter - bonus as listed on their webside


I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think that you only get the bullet if that funding level is reached, and are not eligible for the extra map and whatever the mystery item is. On the plus side you can opt out of getting the bullet as well if you prefer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:
Yesterday I Px-ed The Guns of Gettysburg


a) grants me the Kickstarter - bonus as listed on their webside


I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think that you only get the bullet if that funding level is reached, and are not eligible for the extra map and whatever the mystery item is. On the plus side you can opt out of getting the bullet as well if you prefer.


Oops, I thought the bullet was all there is.

Well, I don't need the map and whatever the other thing is - I'm not sure if it will be worth the shipping. Nevertheless I found this solution - if used by other companies - on the sole Px - base great. They got their numbers, we got a game (and support one) that is not bloated by shipping that neither helps us nor the company producing the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Yesterday I Px-ed The Guns of Gettysburg

There are companies who find a solution around the USPS - shipping.

I can pre-order / kickstart this game from an European Distributor (a German company) who

a) grants me the Kickstarter - bonus as listed on their webside
b) charges me when the game is at their store ready to ship - no payment in advance
c) gives me a much better shipping and no customs - problems.

Those other EU-States pay the game-price minus German-tax plus shipping (but might have customs to pay in their country).

I found this solution (beside the game) so clever that I instantly Px-ed.

FYI.


Same here, I preordered on the same webpage from Hong Kong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.