Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Allen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been playing A:NR since it came out, mainly with a group of five friends. We're mostly what I would call casual players of the game but we're starting to take it a bit more seriously now. I've decided to start tweaking and building my decks more now that the data packs are starting to roll out.

I'm posting my Gabe deck here for everyone to look at and offer suggestions. I have played all of two games using Trace amount and both against the same Weyland deck. I included well over 45 cards in those games to get a feel for what the new ones would do and I have since trimmed it down to 45.

A bit of a preface, I only have one core set and I won't be buying another anytime soon (if ever) so if anyone has advice for substitutions or other cards to include keep that in mind.

Anyways, to avoid a wall of text, here's the deck:

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (21)
Inside Job (Core #21) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x3
Satellite Uplink (Trace Amount #23) x2
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Modded (Core #35) x2
Easy Mark (Core #19) x3
Special Order (Core #22) x2
Stimhack (Core #4) x1
Infiltration (Core #49) x2

Hardware (5)
Rabbit Hole (Core #39) x2
Desperado (Core #24) x1
Dyson Mem Chip (Trace Amount #28) x2

Program (10)
Peacock (What Lies Ahead #6) x2
Snowball (Trace Amount #27) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core #28) x2
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1
Ninja (Core #27) x2
Crypsis (Core #51) x1

Resource (9)
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount #25) x2
Bank Job (Core #29) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Liberated Account (Trace Amount #22) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 5
Shaper: 10

My idea for this deck is to run early, run hard, and have the money to back up a full rig as quickly as possible. I enjoy being a bit reckless as a runner.

Here's a few notes and thoughts on the cards. I would consider dropping the Satellite Uplinks in favour of something else, perhaps taking back the two Account Siphons I dropped. However, I found Account Siphon to be pretty situational and not that useful at any given point in the game, apart from bankrupting the corp and running on unexposed ice. Optionally I might include two Lemuria Code Crackers but again I tend to notice that my friends ice up HQ pretty decently against me. Decoys or Crash Spaces might make more sense perhaps, though I feel I have enough link and credits for traces.

I have dropped my two Corroders and replaced them with Snowballs as I figure this deck has the money to support the extra install cost.

The Femme Fatale and Crypsis are late additions and intended mostly for Special Orders to get me out of a sticky situation. I typically save the Crypsis for a final end-game rush on a server, but they're also both there for if/when programs get trashed as I'm only running two copies of each breaker (possibly a mistake?). Stimhack is in the same boat too, I like to have it in hand so I know I can mess with the corp's strategy and break into a server after exposing an agenda I could use to win.

I haven't been able to see Liberated Accounts in action as I didn't draw either of them in the first two games I played but I think they would be pretty useful.

Modded is another new addition too, though I would consider dropping them for Maker's Eyes if it turns out I have a healthy supply of credits during games.

So there it is, I'm mainly looking to see if I've missed a crucial part of deck building, some glaring omission or stacking up on too many of the same thing (expose cards maybe?). Plus my out of faction cards are up for adjustment though I would like to keep the snowballs to try them out in a few games first.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Modded and Liberated Accounts aren't important cards since Criminal isn't hard-up for clicks (click efficiency is where these cards excel), so I'd drop them like a bad habit, and pick up Zu.13 for a Code Gate Breaker. You also don't need Dyson Mem Chips since all you really need are your breakers and Sneakdoor Beta, all of which fit comfortably in a Desperado. Sneakdoor can also be easily discarded late game, since the corp will at some point make archives about as strong as HQ, and the main utility of that card is to circumvent ICE you as of yet cannot break.

The biggest omission is that you have no Account Siphon, which is probably the single best card Crim has. It is a massive swing in your favor, and you should be packing 3 in a deck at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Allen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I brought back Account Siphon how would you suggest I deal with the tags? Currently my only way is to use a click and two creds which to me makes that Account Siphon a bit less useful as you run on HQ, drain the corp of money and then take two more clicks to remove the tags. If I had a Decoy or two or some Crash Space it wouldn't be as bad but then I'd be needing to include them too.

However, I agree with your comment on Modded, I really wasn't sure if it was going to be that useful. I'll replace them with Maker's Eyes. On top of that if I include ZU.13 wouldn't you suggest I keep the Dysons just to ensure I can more reliably get the link, also don't forget I only have one Desperado. Or I guess at that point I'm not going to run out of memory like you've mentioned. Plus I've got the two Rabbit Holes.

So if I drop the two Liberated Accounts and add the two ZU.13s would you recommend I drop the two Peacocks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run crash spaces, but even without them it's still great. First of all, against HB, Jinteki, and even sometimes Weyland you can just leave the tags on. You can also use it late game to rob the corp of the money they need to rez their ICE, which can be game winning itself. But yeah, it took me a while to warm to it, but I like 2x crash space.

As to the limitations of one core set, I forgot about that. I can't help you there too much, but in that case yeah, Dyson isn't a bad way to go. I've had two sets for forever, so I'm not experienced on working around those limitations.

And yes, drop the Peacocks for Zu.13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Allen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool, sounds good. I will see how I feel about Account Siphon. I really dislike tags, but you're right that all they can punish you on is your resources unless they took Scorched. However that means I'll have to shake up some other cards to fit all of that in.. Maybe I'll playtest this deck a few times and see what I don't like about it.

I'm still open to other suggestions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember Closed Accounts is also a danger, though it's almost never splashed. And yeah, Criminal is easily the least resource-dependent faction, so leaving the tags on is often an option, depending on the match-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Account Siphon is great even without means to de-tag. Having crash space is a nice bonus, but even without it's an essential pressure card for Criminals. The earlier you can get it out the bigger the damage. Late games it becomes pretty meh.

-5 +10 = 15, remove costs of 1 click to run, 1 click to draw (if you really wanted to), and 6 (4 creds and 2 clicks) for removing tags, 15 - 8 is still +7. 7! If you're certain you're not gonna be hurt by tags and leave them on (in VERY rare cases), it's +13. 13!!! In a single card!!

People discounting Peacock out of hand is really a pet peeve of mine. The comparison and analysis has been made a few times around here already, but basically, here are the main code gates and how much it costs to break each (PC = Peacock, GB = Gordian Blade, ZU = Keymaster)

Chum: 4 strength, 1 sub - PC:4, GB:3, ZU:4
Enigma: 2 strength, 2 subs (1 if run on last click) - PC: 2(4), GB: 1(2), ZU: 2(3)
Tollbooth: 5 strength, 1 sub - PC: 3+4, GB: 3+4, ZU: 3+5
Sensei is new but worth considering: 5 strength, 1 sub: PC:4, GB:4, ZU:5
Noone plays Viktor.
Cell Portal is a joke.

So as you can see, with the exception of enigma by a little, Peacock is AT LEAST as efficient as most other things around about now. That may change (Hourglass seems significant), but that's one code gate out of everything, and can be offset with E3 feedback implant (which I think may become actually more important than it seems, even if it's just a hard counter).

And the benefit of picking Aurora over whatever else? Anything from 2-9 influences freed up. That's A LOT! The lesson is to do actual analysis before seeing that it's LIKE an Aurora and Aurora is crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Tuism wrote:

So as you can see, with the exception of enigma

The problem is that nearly every corp deck runs Enigma and it hits the table early. You end up breaking it constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
Tuism wrote:

So as you can see, with the exception of enigma

The problem is that nearly every corp deck runs Enigma and it hits the table early. You end up breaking it constantly.

I'd gladly take back on average 6 influence points if I have to spend at most 1 extra per run on enigma, and if I KNOW it's enigma and run on my last click, not expecting a Snare!, it's the same efficiency of 2 per run compared to ZU.

If you're going to import anything, make it Gordian Blade. If you have tons of link and need the extra mem, get ZU. If you're just using it as a breaker and nothing else, just use Peacock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.