B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on 'Problems in the Hood' is really bad.

Two of three people interpreted it as dropping NINE thugs on the board in one shot.

After searching on the geek we found this response:
Re: First game
Quote:
Whenever this card comes up, you should roll 3 die (total) and put 3 punks down on the board (total), one in each of the corresponding hood(s).

Why wasn't the top half of this card just:

THUG SYMBOL x3

It works on the top of emergency cards -- why make confusing instructions instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems pretty clear to me.
you get 3 thugs and roll for where to place them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
seems pretty clear to me.
you get 3 thugs and roll for where to place them...

It's just not consistent with other wording when putting out Street Punks.

For the initial set-up, it says to "Roll six dice, and place one Street Punk for every die result in the Bad Hoods on the city blocks with the same number as the dice results."

For emergencies it says the that "some Emergency Event cards instruct you to place 1 or 2 Street Punks on the board in random locations"

But for this card:

Quote:
b]Problems in the Hood.[/b]

Roll three dice and place three Street Punks in the corresponding Bad Hood(s)

-OR-

Take one Street Punk from the stockpile and put it back in the box (take it out of play for the rest of the game).

It's not consistent, so it leaves room to be interpreted differently.

To be more consistent with the initial set-up it could have been worded like this:

"Roll three dice and place one Street Punk for each die result in the corresponding Bad Hood(s)"

Or to be more consistent with the rules for emergencies it could have been worded like this:

"Place 3 Street Punks randomly"

All I'm saying is that the more different ways the same mechanic is written, the more chances that one of those ways could be misinterpreted. To me, if you want to say the same thing, then say the same thing instead of saying it in various ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion BT.

and...

Thanks for the input Davey & Greg.

It seems, from what we have seen anyway, that the majority of people interpret this card in the way it was intended, but...

On the other hand...

This has come up before in a thread and it would seem to me that it deserves more clarity on our Rules Page.

Thus it's done...

http://www.commonman.com/rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.