Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: A very nice binder storage solution for large Dominion card collections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: storage [+] [View All]
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was given Dominion: Dark Ages for my birthday recently and I want to share with you the

BEST STINKING DOMINION STORAGE SOLUTION EVER

I got lucky with an Amazon purchase and now you will be "in the know", as the kids say.

Step 1: This binder http://www.amazon.com/Zipper-D-Ring-Binder-1-5-Inch-Dual-100...

Step 2: These 9-Pocket card sleeve pages http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Platinum-Storage-Pages/dp/B0...

Obviously the basic idea is to stuff each stack of 10 cards into the 9-pocket pages. The above "platinum" quality sleeves seem to be holding up well and will fit 10 cards snugly. Since the plastic gives, you won't want to put fewer than 10 into a sleeve that once held 10 (for example, the Trash card should go in its designated sleeve alone each time), so plan accordingly.

But the binder, Oh Sweet Zombie Jeebus the binder. Look at this thing.

The binder has two separated 1.5 inch D-rings and comes with these really handy dividers which have a variety of pockets and zippered pouches to hold all the extra stuff -- blank cards, counters and tiles from the Prosperity expansion, etc. The dividers themselves velcro down one on each side, keeping the contents of each D-ring very secure. A front mesh pocket inside the binder itself holds instruction sheets nicely, with a smaller pocket I tuck the randomizer decks into. I'm telling you, this thing rules.

There are even three elastic mesh pockets on one of the dividers which you would SWEAR were designed specifically to securely hold the stacks of Copper, Silver and Gold, so you avoid the hassle of splitting these stacks up to store them in the 9-pocket sleeves. This may break when I get Intrigue.

The whole binder has an external zipper (like an old Trapper Keeper), so even if it gets seriously knocked about at least there will be zero loss or spillage of items out of the binder. Finally there's a sturdy handle AND an included shoulder strap. Because NOTHING proclaims your Dominion nerdiness like rolling in with the contents of several unwieldy big cardboard boxes neatly slung over your shoulder. Now all I need to figure out is how to put a Dominion logo on it, but the synthetic mesh exterior won't take an adhesive easily. Maybe I'll embroider a patch on it in my spare time.

Is it big enough? Right now I have Dominion, Dominion: Prosperity, and the mega-expansion Dominion: Dark Ages stored in this. I am confident that I can hold every expansion made for the game, though admittedly that will be quite snug. NOPE!

Update 6/12/13: I was way off on the size estimate. I am AT capacity now that it holds: Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Dark Ages. See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat Idea. I'd love to see pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Will these pages hold cards sleeved with the thin Mayday Euro sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Too much work to do pictures -- here's a video instead.

http://youtu.be/kWJ0HmVN5Bc

I have no idea if this will work with Mayday sleeves (I do not now, nor will I ever, bother to sleeve Dominion cards), but I suspect not at 10 cards per pocket. If you ask me, this is not the way to go if you like to sleeve 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooo . . .. this is AWESOME!

Could be great for Android: Netrunner (and the like) too.

Edit: Actually, reading reviews for this, and for one of their other dual binders (is this the only d-ring one, though?) indicate the rings pop open far too much. Darn, cause this was looking really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this might just be what I'm looking for. Easy to store... everything it looks like, and keep it all solid.

Unfortunately... Amazon.co.uk doesn't seem to have any of those specific binders and I can't easily see something else that'd work as well cry

Minor note, 'that card' doesn't give a discount, it gives a sampler pack of expansion cards on Dominion Online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Admittedly I have only had it for a month, but I have had no problems with the rings popping open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only got one expansion so far but already I like this storage solution better that the assortment of boxes I have seen elsewhere. I really like being able to see the entire cards at a glance.

It seems like getting a few more of those mesh things with the three pockets would be really useful, especially one that spanned the whole width of the binder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Castor Bay
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also hole-punch my Dominion Complete Annotated Rules and stick the entire printed document in there for reference, instead of folding your nice, not-very-helpful rules inserts. Nice idea, though I'll stick to my box for better shelf storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pojo nono
msg tools
JoeAnglican wrote:
(I do not now, nor will I ever, bother to sleeve Dominion cards)

Really?

Why not spend, at least, $30~ on pennysleeves to protect your investment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EVERY storage solution is perfect, wonderful and awesome as long as you don't sleeve your cards.
As soon as you do, there are only a limited number of good storage solution for Standard sleeves and NONE for Premium sleeves.

So, whenever somebody has an OMG solution for their cards, I don't even bother to read it anymore. It is always the same. You spend (waste) time looking at it, just to find out that it is (again) ONLY for non-sleeved cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
You could also hole-punch my Dominion Complete Annotated Rules and stick the entire printed document in there for reference, instead of folding your nice, not-very-helpful rules inserts. Nice idea, though I'll stick to my box for better shelf storage.

Thanks, I'll check them out! (Worthwhile note: I didn't fold my rules inserts, they are in another pocket unfolded.)

As for the sleeving question, I guess I really haven't played enough Dominion to see my cards degrade. If I truly start playing that much, I won't mind spending $15 for a new base card set -- I presume the treasures and victory point cards will be the first to go. It's not a collectible card game.

Apologies to Mr. Broersen, I am new to BGG and didn't realize that sleeving was a touchy subject. I'll see if I can revise the thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A very nice binder storage solution for (unsleeved) Dominion collections
Don't be so quick to apologize, JoeAnglican. I don't sleeve my cards either and am thinking this binder thing just might work for me. So, thank you for pointing this out! Not everyone here sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuu Mong
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dave, I appreciate you taking one for the newbie team for me. I didnt know that sleeving cards was such an intense situation, and my thin skin would have made me feel bad if my storage idea was poopooed because of it being for sleeveless cards
but I really like the binder idea... seems potentially easier to transport around, just throw it in a backpack and youre good to go also a great way to see many cards at once and read them all (the filing style of most systems feel to me like I need to remember what the cards already are!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAnglican wrote:
Admittedly I have only had it for a month, but I have had no problems with the rings popping open.

Cool. Is either side of the binder maxed as to how many pages are in it? Or do both sides have room for more.

Just wondering, and wondering if you can report back in a couple months about the rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
sarebear62 wrote:
JoeAnglican wrote:

Cool. Is either side of the binder maxed as to how many pages are in it? Or do both sides have room for more.

Just wondering, and wondering if you can report back in a couple months about the rings.

Hinterlands (3 pages) will probably max out the "full" right hand side with Dark Ages and Prosperity.

Seaside, Intrigue, and Cornucopia will make the left side pretty full. I don't know if I'll ever buy Alchemy, but that could be the set (admittedly only 2 pages) which puts me over the top into *VERY TIGHT* territory. Still, I haven't been acquiring expansions at an alarming rate, so I am unworried.

I will try to remember to report back. I'm headed in late February to visit my sister and spouse for an all-Dominion weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pojo007 wrote:
JoeAnglican wrote:
(I do not now, nor will I ever, bother to sleeve Dominion cards)

Really?

Why not spend, at least, $30~ on pennysleeves to protect your investment?

Pennysleeves are terriblly annoying to use. I won't sleeve mine unless they are high quality sleeves like what someone would use for a magic deck. But those are too expensive if you're going to sleeve the entire game with all expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Pennysleeves are terriblly annoying to use. I won't sleeve mine unless they are high quality sleeves like what someone would use for a magic deck. But those are too expensive if you're going to sleeve the entire game with all expansions.

As it turns out, maybe not. I recently purchased Neo Max Protection sleeves from BCW Supplies, expecting penny sleeve quality and got really excellent sleeves. 30 packs of 100 will set you back less than $38 plus shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to endorse Dave C' dual ring binder storage approach and also answer a question about sleeves posed here that wasn't actually answered.

First, based on this thread, I picked up a couple of the dual ring binders at my local KMart. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they carried them, and thus had the chance to check out the quality first hand. They were a couple of dollars more than the Amazon price but with a store coupon I purchased them at effectively the same price. From a quality standpoint, I'm surprised at the negative reports posted on Amazon. Construction quality appears comparable to any other zippered binder I've looked at. It might be that they can't withstand the rigors of daily classroom use, but as a card storage solution I think that with reasonable care, they should hold up fine. So hats off to Dave for alerting us to this storage solution.

Second, re the question posed here by Ox Bellows about sleeving with standard (thin) MayDay sleeves, I can attest that they DO work - i.e. ten of them can be accommodated in the pockets of the Ultra-Pro Platinum nine pocket acetate sheets. It's a LITTLE snugger a fit than unsleeved, but definitely manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these binders for The Lord of the Rings LCG. They're great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
3 Months Later:

* Virtually no durability issues. Maybe three or four pockets in the pages have some separation, but otherwise everything is trucking along.

* I've seen the light and reorganized kingdom cards alphabetically, since I use the "Adept" iOS app for randomization.

* I bought Intrigue and THAT moved a lot of stuff around. Right now I actually bag the double-thick copper/silver/gold decks in ziplocs and slip them in the gap between pages and the zipper. They store fine and I don't have to split up the decks to store them.

* I was way off on the size estimate. I am almost at capacity now that it holds: Base, Intrigue, Prosperity, Dark Ages. A second binder will be necessary for a full collection, though it won't need to be as large. Probably this one: http://www.amazon.com/Case-2-Inch-Zipper-Binder-D-250-BLK/dp...

If there's interest I'll do another video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Thornton
msg tools
I was wondering how well the pages hold more than 10 cards. i.e. Gardens, Potions/Spoils, is it possible to get rats in one, or hermit/madman?

Also, are pages double sided? Do you put cards on both sides or just one?

I have this idea that I will put the randomizer card on the other side to help keep things ordered.

Sorry if you answered these questions in the video, I'm at work and can't watch it cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
The sleeves are "one-sided" and transparent.

I have 12 cards with no issues (Harem, Great Hall, etc) but again unsleeved. Actually I have all 15 spoils in one sleeve and that works, too. Rats is two 10 card stacks.

I would leave randomizers out of it and store them separately, at least with this solution. I straight up alphabetize kingdom cards and use an iPhone app to randomize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
msg tools
mbmbmb
SIX MONTH UPDATE:

A collection of random observations after fairly frequent use of this storage solution:

I continue to be super happy with this solution. It's durable, incredibly portable, and compact. I store the kingdom cards in alphabetical order, mixing all the expansions, and rely on my iPhone app (Adept) to list the cards (again, alphabetically) that I need to take out. This goes very quickly.

The binder is basically at capacity and now holds:

*Dominion
*Dominion: Intrigue
*Dominion: Seaside
*Dominion: Prosperity
*Dominion: Dark Ages

The binder holds the above sets in their entirety, EXCEPT for the randomizer cards. I use an iPhone app for that job and leave randomizers in their outmoded cardboard boxes in the basements

Still Left to acquire:
*Alchemy (12)
*Cornucopia (13)
*Hinterlands (27)
*Guilds (13)

65 more Kingdom cards will make for 7-8 new sheets, and considering I have currently 8 sheets on each side of the binder, it's clear I will get a second binder of some sort to hold a complete collection. Probably something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Case-2-Inch-Zipper-Binder-D-251-BLU/dp...

While some of the sleeve pages are showing wear, I haven't had to replace any of them (I have four blank pages left from the original purchase).

I have a couple of these "condiment cups" in the binder for holding tokens: http://www.amazon.com/Bambu-Small-Condiment-Cups-Set/dp/B004...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-d g-
msg tools
I thought I'd chime in here, as I've been using the same basic system for a while, now.

I originally purchased a Case-It 3" zipper binder, which worked - but not quite. It was completely stuffed to the gills, and after carrying it around, I'd find that some of the pages would slip through the binder's rings, since everything was so tightly packed.

So I returned it (thanks to Amazon's reasonable return policy!), and replaced it with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/XLarge-Capacity-4-Inch-D-Ring-D-186-BL... - the 4" version - which, I'm happy to report, has been working out splendidly.

I purchased the Avery version of the card pages, which I think might be a little thinner/flimsier than Pro Platinum pages, but they've held up pretty well so far.

Presently, I've got it sorted like this:
the first few pages are all of the base cards, along with Platinums & Colonies, the Tournament Prizes, and Potions. I take the larger stacks (coin cards and curses) and just split them up arbitrarily; I'd guess about 20 can fit (albeit snugly) into a sleeve.
I also have 4 starting hands pre-sorted, which is a nice touch.
Then I've got all of the sets mixed together alphabetically, with the exception of Dark Ages. The reasoning behind this was because at the time of my purchase, DA was brand new, and I wanted to be able to separate the whole expansion out to take with me to friends' houses (who had other expansions, but not DA). This worked out quite well, as the whole expansion - Ruins, Rats and all - fit onto 3 pages, which could easily be carried around in just about any bag.
I came up with a handy use for the Randomizer cards, as well - to facilitate finding cards and keeping their places on a page, I keep the blue-backed card face-down in the sleeve. So if you pull out the entire stack, you're getting 11 cards - the blue-back face down, and the 10 kingdom cards face up.
This is especially helpful when you've got a few neighbor-cards (Bank, Baron, and Bazaar, for example) all in the same game.

I should also mention that I don't have the additional set of base cards from Intrigue; they're just in a small card box I keep at home. I can't even imagine how awful Dominion with more than 4 players might be.

I too use an iOS app for picking out cards for games (D-Vault - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominion-vault/id451095834?u...), which works out quite nicely.

I keep all of the various mats and the tokens/coins (in their original ziploc baggies) together in one of the mesh pockets, which has been fine.

Guilds only added two pages to the set, which hasn't been a problem.

Now, I just have to sit down and make a new spreadsheet to figure out the page layout for all of the cards (including Guilds; I don't feel the need to keep them segregated), and go through the task of re-sorting everything.

Once that's done, though, I think I'll be pretty psyched!

I've gotten a little bit of criticism on how long it takes to set up and put away cards in between games, but in my experience, it's still way less of a hassle than having to dig through 4 or 5 of the original boxes.
I guess if you know you're never going to be traveling with your cards, then the boxes are still a bit faster, but man, they take up a lot of room.

The only other thing to take into consideration with the binder system is its weight. I'd guess that my binder fully loaded weighs in at about 14-15 pounds. Which, for some, might be a bit unwieldy.
I carry mine in a sturdy backpack, and it's never been a problem for me.

Anyway, that's how I do it. Your milage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.