Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swan Panasia Sleeves USA http://swanpanasiasleeves.com Has started to ship their sleeves for the alien power sheets http://swanpanasiasleeves.com/swan-prem-card-sleeves-115x173.... I have 3 of the 50 packs comming, will update as to the fit/feel of the sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these the same sleeves that had previously been sold on eBay? I recall those sleeves having a simple piece of paper in the package to identify them with no branding.

I guess it doesn't matter too much if the sleeves for the alien sheets aren't uniform, as I don't randomize the alien sheets (just flares). Mostly just curious.

Great find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a set of these (4 packs of 50 sleeves). I would guess they are probably not the same as those from ebay, which came in packs of 30. The quality of the Swan sleeves is excellent - they are thick and really uniform. BUT they are approximately 1 mm too narrow for cards of size 115 mm * 173 mm, so I had to use a scalpel on my alien sheets to fit them. That took probably an hour or so to do, but I am pleased with the final result.

The thick Swan sleeves for the normal cards (57 mm * 90 mm) fit perfectly, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
jazzbjorn wrote:
I had to use a scalpel on my alien sheets to fit them

Yeesh!

I would not do that.

I'd return the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam P
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
jazzbjorn wrote:
I had to use a scalpel on my alien sheets to fit them

Yeesh!

I would not do that.

I'd return the sleeves.

I would not want to do this to my cards... I'd return them as well. Does anyone else have a good idea of what sleeves would fit the alien power cards? I can't find the ones on ebay people were buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't blame the sleeve makers; I blame FFG: the quality control on their alien sheet size has been poor. Some players have reported better results than others, but some expansions' alien sheets are 1-2 mm wider than those in the core game. The sleeves I use were based on the core game, and were perfect. Then expansions came along with sheets that were too wide (and cut off-center, and badly warped due to too-aggressive shrinkwrapping, which is probably why they went to ziplocks later). FFG refused to replace the bad sheets, so I had no choice but to start hacking them and trying to flatten them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to swan these are still on preorder and not shipping yet, the notification email they sent me was in error, so still waiting to see how these will work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E SG
msg tools
Just received these sleeves from Panasia. They only fit the alien sheets from my CS expansion not the original or other expansions. I'm honestly not even sure how to return them at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
lordulster wrote:
Just received these sleeves from Panasia. They only fit the alien sheets from my CS expansion not the original or other expansions. I'm honestly not even sure how to return them at this point.

Got mine the other day, with the same experience. I'm pretty disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone ordered these recently? Has the fit improved at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
Has anyone ordered these recently? Has the fit improved at all?

That's what I would like to know. Also who has these in stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ta
msg tools
Recently bought the premium sleeves from swan panasia - 155x173 - and they are pretty snug. I would even say it could use a little more widening since some of the cards start to bend. The newest boards are 156x174 it seems so I have to return two of my 50 packs. I sent them a Get Help message last night but haven't heard back yet. I'll update for anyone that's curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up just trimming the sheets a little bit on paper cutter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
For anyone planning on sleeving I do not reccomend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsv4b_uz7k

Tom Vasel has owned his copy since 2008 and his base aliens still look fine to me.

I cut my aliens and instantly regretted it and am now rebuying everything except cosmic storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It still boggles my mind that people have and/or are cutting their alien sheets in order to sleeve them.

That's like sealing an elephant away in an airtight vault to protect it from poachers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a 1mm or less, and it wasn't even on every sheet in a set. Not like you have to cut them in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djhopscotch wrote:
Its a 1mm or less, and it wasn't even on every sheet in a set. Not like you have to cut them in half.

Except for Pygmy. Seems like that should be a requirement, actually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Amunra93 wrote:
Asmor wrote:
It still boggles my mind that people have and/or are cutting their alien sheets in order to sleeve them.

That's like sealing an elephant away in an airtight vault to protect it from poachers.

There's more than one reason to sleeve. I do it so I can easily homebrew. Yes, I've had to trim 1-2 mm off the edge of some of my alien sheets, but there's a good chance I would have done this even without sleeving being an issue because those aliens were mis-cut to begin with and the artwork was off center.

Anyway, I have been 100% happy with my decision to sleeve, and to cut (once I got over the OCD worries and just did it). The peace of mind about card protection is nice, of course, but more importantly, being able to freely create/change/replace aliens easily has been very liberating. In my set, the homebrews are visually indistinguishable from the official aliens. If you didn't already know which were which, you probably wouldn't be able to tell without very close scrutiny. This largely pleases the OCD monkey on my back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
Amunra93 wrote:
Asmor wrote:

There's more than one reason to sleeve. I do it so I can easily homebrew. Yes, I've had to trim 1-2 mm off the edge of some of my alien sheets, but there's a good chance I would have done this even without sleeving being an issue because those aliens were mis-cut to begin with and the artwork was off center.

Anyway, I have been 100% happy with my decision to sleeve, and to cut (once I got over the OCD worries and just did it). The peace of mind about card protection is nice, of course, but more importantly, being able to freely create/change/replace aliens easily has been very liberating. In my set, the homebrews are visually indistinguishable from the official aliens. If you didn't already know which were which, you probably wouldn't be able to tell without very close scrutiny. This largely pleases the OCD monkey on my back.

Normally I sleeve stuff for the wear and tear aspect. I sleeve all my card games and all the playing cards in cosmic encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsv4b_uz7k

But I was watching one of Tom Vasel's videos about Cosmic Encounter (Top 10 aliens, fairly new video). In the video he brought out his amoeba,masochist,calculator,gambler,mirror, philanthropist and the human. I think he's owned his copy of Cosmic since 2008 according to his videos.(Unless he repurchased since then)

Well, my take after watching the video was that I def made a mistake, because those aliens have held up pretty well (7 years) and im assuming that they got more of a playthrough then mine, given that its Toms favorite game and he's owned it for significantly longer then I have (probably played it a lot more too)

I think the alien cards aren't handled that much, and me personally cutting and sleeving them was a mistake. IF you are looking to homebrew then I think sleeving is a must, its similar to proxying in that regard I feel.

I also think the TBG sleeves you have (right?) were a better fit then the Pan Asia Sleeves I got. The pan asia sleeves also have bad clarity compared to non sleeved, making it hard and somewhat annoying to read.

Well Bill I can say I definitely agree with you there. If you are looking to Homebrew then their is no reason not to sleeve the aliens. For me though, it was a horrible mistake that I immediately regretted. Honestly my thought process was just off the day I did it. I had a fever and if I knew any better I would have done some research instead of taking a pair of scissors to my aliens.

I personally do not enjoy using homebrews, for me if a power is so bad (or oppressive, hello Brute) that it makes the game unenjoyable for that one player (or multiple other players) then it should be looked at as a design failure by the development team.

I certainly couldn't design a game nearly as balanced as them and all I can really say is although I can see why people would want to Homebrew, I prefer to simply remove certain aliens from the pool altogether. Its pretty hard to expect one person to be able to design a homebrew and please everyone. With that said I have seen some excellent homebrews and I look forward to

I think for the most part FFG has done a great job with the variety of alien powers, aside from a few questionable negotiate vs (X alien power = not collect compensation) and the many duds in cosmic storm.

Personally Bill, I agree with most of your Cosmodex changes for clarity and revision. I think if an educated individual takes it upon themselves to memorize every facet of the intended wording then

I think FFG needs to do a better job with ambiguity and certain situations which can plausibly occur and are left pretty open to debate IMO.

I think the negotiate vs X alien is probably the biggest one of these.

What if someone has only encounter cards are 4 negotiates and they have to face one of these aliens. Should they be penalized for no other reason then luck of the draw and improper foresight on the part of the developers? (No disrespect intended, its hard to predict every possible question people might have.)

I think you did a very good job on the homebrews from an image point of view, when I looked at them , as you stated they are virtually indistinguishable.

Sorry for the wall of text, btw. snore

P.S. The thing you need to understand is I did a really, really bad job. Like lots of very uneven cuts,angles etc. Its just distracting to the eye (IMO). Im sure your sheets look great.

THE TLDR;

If you sleeve, and have to cut, make sure you use something that cuts evenly and take your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Anderson
Japan
Yokohama-shi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased some of the swan sleeves last week for the Japanese version of the game. The Japanese alien cards are all a uniform 114 mm wide, but even then some of the sleeves were too tight to fit the cards without bending them. There seems to be a little variance, with some sleeves a little wider than others, but I wouldn't recommend buying these sleeves for sleeving 115 mm cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amunra93 wrote:
...I was watching one of Tom Vasel's videos about Cosmic Encounter (Top 10 aliens, fairly new video). In the video he brought out his amoeba,masochist,calculator,gambler,mirror, philanthropist and the human. I think he's owned his copy of Cosmic since 2008 according to his videos.(Unless he repurchased since then)...

While I don't have the privelage of knowing Tom personally, so I can't be certain, there is a chance that he may have replaced his original sheets with newer ones. For a long time, Tom's Cosmic videos featured the original first printing (2008) box, which was noticably disintegrating every time it was on-screen. I've noticed recently, however, maybe the past 6 months or so, he's now sporting the 2011 reprint box. This doesn't necessarily mean that his older sheets have worn out but we just can't be sure if the sheets he's using now are new or old.

All that said, I think for the average group, the alien sheets will hold up just fine without sleeving. Excepting the rare spill or gross mishandling, it would probably take several years of really rough play before they would start showing age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
While I don't have the privelage of knowing Tom personally, so I can't be certain, there is a chance that he may have replaced his original sheets with newer ones. For a long time, Tom's Cosmic videos featured the original first printing (2008) box, which was noticably disintegrating every time it was on-screen. I've noticed recently, however, maybe the past 6 months or so, he's now sporting the 2011 reprint box. This doesn't necessarily mean that his older sheets have worn out but we just can't be sure if the sheets he's using now are new or old.

As a featured guest of CosmicCon six months ago, I believe Tom received a brand new copy of the game. So you're right, recent videos of him may not accurately show wear and tear on the alien sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
As a featured guest of CosmicCon six months ago, I believe Tom received a brand new copy of the game. So you're right, recent videos of him may not accurately show wear and tear on the alien sheets.

Ah, so that's where it came from! Good to know!

I'm still grieving over the fact that I couldn't be there to skunk you all at CosmicCon last year but I was in the midst of a financial apocalypse and a trip to Minnesota just wasn't my destiny, it seems. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see a "Second Annual!!!" announcement sometime this year...and then you're all in trouble! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, Second Annual needs to happen. What can I do to make it happen? I will be there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 wrote:
Seriously, Second Annual needs to happen. What can I do to make it happen? I will be there

Write FFG and offer to rent the space? FFG weren't the driving force behind CosmicCon; that was all Future Pastimes shouldering the load and making it happen. FFG supported the con immensely and were awesome to us all, but without Peter, Bill and Greg I don't think the con would have happened at all.

My hunch is that if it were to ever happen again, somebody else would need to step up. Even if I'm wrong, we know the guys are too busy making us a new expansion to think about staging a second convention any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.