Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first met the BGG website, I remember reading about this fantastic game where you would be escaping a dragon’s Lair with the dragon on your tail, while trying to grab treasure, attack the dragon or even trip your friends and leave them behind. I thought it was great! By the time the game came out, I already knew who Richard Linus was and respected his portfolio (I myself own DotR and Elder Sign). After I played game, I recall this sensation of really wanting to have liked the game more. I had a hard time bringing it back to the table for my friends were never keen on it. But I have always believed in its potential, and that is why I wrote this variant.

Components
To play this variant you will not need:
• The movement die;
• The re-roll token;
• Most of the hero action tokens.

Major changes
Turn actions
First of all, there is no majority rule to this game. This means no tracking on the board of the icons rolled (except for the dragon icons, because of the dragon rampage cards). The actions are, instead, resolved on the player’s turn.
Dice are rolled as normal, with the right to 2 re-rolls and the mandatory keeping of the dragon icon dice. It is important to note that all dice must be used and resolved, in an order chosen by the player (e.g. the player cannot choose to move or attack less than rolled).

Dice and actions
Secondly, the dice actions are a bit different on this variant:
Attack (axes): Each 2 of these mean 1 damage on the dragon.
Crafty (hand/coins): Each 1 of these mean either 2 gold coins form the bank or 1 gold coin stolen from another player on the same or adjacent spot.
Defense (tower shield): Each of these mean 1 less wound provoked by the dragon icon dice. It does not protect from the dragon rampage cards or hero cards.
Dragon: Each 2 of these mean 1 wound to the player. They cannot be re-rolled unless a card changes this rule.
Movement (boots of speed): Each of these mean on step on the track. The steps can be in either direction, but all steps on a player’s turn must be on the same direction.
Treasure chest: Each 2 of these mean the player can either draw a treasure card or a hero card. Only one of these mean 1 gold coin from the bank.
Wild (hero): Each of these copies another die that was rolled now, as usual.

Board spaces
The board spaces still have the same effect when you finish your movement on them, with the exception of the attack spot. When you land here, you must attack the dragon rolling all 7 dice with no re-rolls. Each axe, shield or wild count as a hit, as usual, but each two hits mean 1 damage to the dragon. Each two dragon icons mean 1 wound to the player – shields do not protect the player here.

End of game
The game still ends when either:
• A hero escapes;
• A hero dies; or
• The dragon is killed.
However, one important note is that, regardless of how it ends, the game does not immediately ends. Every player still gets to play its turn – although the dragon cannot be hit anymore if it has been killed already. That means that more than one ending game condition could be triggered.
Another important note is that all action rolled must be resolved on a players turn, which means that it is possible for a player to escape and, at the same time, both the player and the dragon to die, all in the same player turn.
Finally, for this variant, the dragon needs (5 x # of players) +10 on the larger dungeon, and (5 x # of players) +5 on the smaller dungeon.

Scoring
There is also no scoring for majority on this variant. Here is how it is done:
Gold: 1 point for each gold coin;
Damage: 1 point for each damage token on dragon;
Treasure cards: Total non-used treasure points (as usual);
Wounds: -1 point for each wound on the character;
Escape: If a players escapes without dying and the dragon is still alive by the end of the round, +3 points.
Dragon death: If the dragon is killed, the player closed to the exit gets -3 points. This prevents Escape.
Character death: If a player’s character dies, he/she gets -5. Optionally, if the player kills the dragon on the same round in which he/she dies, it is a heroic death and no penalty is applied – aside from the wounds on the character.

Adjustments
I wrote this so that most cards would not need adjustments, but some still will.

Dragon rampage cards
• Blocked exit: Instead, no movement actions are allowed on the NEXT round and escaping is not possible on THIS round.
Treasure cards:
• Cards that refer to “attacking the dragon” only refer to the action from the board space that grants you an attack.
• Cards that refer to “Successes to an attack” count for action rolling and attack rolling.
• “Magic gems” grants you the effect of having two extra dice of that icon you choose.
• “Amber pendant” has no effect. It could be removed form game or kept just for the points if held in hand.
Hero cards:
• Cards that refer to “attacking the dragon” only refer to the action from the board space that grants you an attack.
• Cards that refer to “Successes to an attack” count for action rolling and attack rolling.
• Paladin: “Call to arms” – on players rolls this round, each movement die turns into an attack die.
• Mage: “Wisdom” grants you the effect of having 1 extra die of that icon you choose – Second use becomes ineffective; “Spell of invisibility” Second use becomes ineffective.
• Elf: “Magic Arrows” Double the damage inflicted when you attack the dragon. Play prior to rolling the attack.
• Barbarian: “We are doing this my way” becomes ineffective; “Imposing block” First use: choose

I playtested this variant and it was faster, there was less downtime and more dynamic. Also, the three major scoring goals (gold, treasure and dragon wound) were fairly balanced. The final scorings were closer together, the +/-3 for scaping or killing the dragon making an effective diference.

I hope it helps revive the hope for this (potentialy) great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.