Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
As soon as SURVIVE was released by Stronghold Games (couple of years ago), I ordered a copy for me and my gaming partner (my daughter). We both liked it very much and played it several times. Unfortunately, as she has grown older, she has very little time for gaming, so I have been forced to focus on single player games. The other day I pulled SURVIVE off of the shelf, just to reminisce and look at the components. I find it to be a colorful, inviting and fun game and I wished I had my gaming partner back. Then I had a thought. Why couldn’t the components and the theme of this game be used to create a single player game? I started thinking of other adventure games and how similar mechanics could possibly be incorporated to create a viable solo-play experience. Alas, being a novice BG’r at best, I hesitate to even attempt such a project, so I thought I might pose the challenge to the experts here at BGG.

So here it is…
The challenge: To create a single player game using some or all (but not limited to) the components of SURVIVE. There could be special hexes, decks of cards, new creatures, treasures, villains…whatever.
The scenario: No limits…I don’t want to hinder the creative forces, although, if I had a choice, I would prefer that the inevitable sinking of the island would still be a part of the game.

Who knows, maybe the creation could wind up becoming an official expansion published by Stronghold Games.

I hope there is interest and I welcome your thoughts.
All the best,
StephenJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That could be done fairly straightforward at its basis.
Choose a colour for yourself and an island. Then designate an island for the other colours. Each group will beeline for their island and try to move boats on their turn towards their goals and move creatures to hinder or destroy the nearest opposing team. Play tile cards as they are drawn. Nothing to effect? Then discard it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more complex level you could have alliances, or a set of cards that one is drawn from for each group to determine a strategy to follow from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
Thanks for the reply.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like your suggestions are for a multi-player game. I was looking for a single-player version (i.e. one player against the game).

StephenJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Meant alliances between the NPC groups and and the solo player.

IE: Group A and C are agreeable to an alliance and from then on work together to try and get as many as they can to safey. Group B might be out to wipe out group C, or you. and you are caught in the middle.

You could also add a mid game event draw to see if alliances change. Such as a traitor change that an alliance member might suddenly backstab their allies.

Could be as simple as 9 dual purpose cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres a solo version I've been playing since the game came out.
The Devil at 4 O'Clock
You control all the islanders and has to get as many as you can to safety.
Mix up and place the people on the island. No peeking.
Play is simmilar to normal but each turn you may move any of the people instead of just one type. The monsters move and target proximity first, then priority. IE: Sea serpent targets first boats with people on them, then swimmers and lastly boats. Whales target empty boats, then populated boats. Sharks target swimmers only of course.

Alternatively: Sink 4 island pieces each turn and then move the people with 12 movement points. Then roll four times for monsters. This one havent tested fully yet and I have a feeling it might be too easy even with the island alot more likely to blow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely give "The Devil at 4 O'Clock" a try.

Thanks John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
I just played through Survive using the "The Devil at 4 O'Clock" solo play. I like it.

One question:
Do you just discard the Monster land tiles (the type that you can play at the beginning of your turn)?

Thanks,
StephenJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As in the normal game. Monster land tiles are played on the spot they are flipped over at.

The move monster cards though were a tougher call. In play they make things too easy. But unplayed things can get messy very quick.

Personally I think for solo of you want to maintain some challenge and threat, then play the "move anywhere" tiles as "move 3 spaces away".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...play the "move anywhere" tiles as "move 3 spaces away"..."
That works for me.

Thanks again John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.