Subject: Starting buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are some posts on what to get, but I had a very specific question, so I thought I'd elicit some advice.

I am buying the game as a birthday gift for my brother who is turning 13. He loves star wars and I thought this might be a nice intro to gaming. That being said, he's 13 so I don't want to go crazy and drop a load of cash on something he doesn't utlimatly like and stick with. On the other hand, i think the core set, while nice, is a little lacking in options. He doesn't exactly have a cash flow that will allow him to add on in the near future, so I want to hit a nice balance between getting him enough to have fun with but not going crazy. My plan is get to get him the core set and three different ships (not the Falcon or Slave 1). So, I'm planning to get:

Core game set
1 x-wing
1 Tie Advance
????

what shoudl the third ship be? was thinking a Y wing, but didn't know. I feel like he probably needs another empire and rebel ship, but I've only got enough to get him one. thoughts? Also, if you think I shouldn't get him the second x-wing, I'd listen to those thoughts to. Pretty set on the Tie Advance, I mean c'mon, its Vadar!!!

thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those "two core sets is the best starting point for this game"-advocates. So I'd recommend getting that, gives most bang for the buck, additional dice and templates.
Let us assume that one core replaces two expansion ships, there could still be enough space to add the Tie Advanced Expansion (and Vader! )
That way, for a 13-year-old, it might also be easier for him to expand the game himself from then on. (as getting single ships is cheaper than buying a second core)
Furthermore, it lets him play 2 x-wings vs. 4 Ties or 2 X-wings vs. a Tie Advanced + two Ties, which should offer enough variety for some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait on a second core set. Wait until you see if he likes it. Then if he does, core set is great value for ships, dice, templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenM wrote:
I'd wait on a second core set. Wait until you see ifthat he likes it. Then if when he does, core set is great value for ships, dice, templates.

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
I got X-wing core set for Christmas along with a Y-wing and Tie Advance and that was a really good starting point. It was fun to try out all the different ships and I immediately wanted more. I especially wanted more dice, so I picked up another core set, but if I was operating on the cheap, I'd grab a dice expansion.

So yeah, in short. Core + Y + Tie Advance made me very happy.

Great gift, by the way. I would have LOVED to get this game when I was 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to get one of each individual ship since they have different pilots and upgrades. So if you are set on the core set, TIE Adv and another X-wing, I would consider another TIE fighter. First, it comes with a good skill 8 TIE pilot. Also he could field more balanced match ups (roughly 60 pts per side). I like the Y-wing, but I don't think it's a good ship for beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.