Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone earlier today was trying to think of a way to make a PDF with all his data and after posting a response on how to do so, I came to the conclusion that others may need this information as well, or help to have it done if they don't have the means to do so. That being the case, I went back and copied my original post to share with you:

If you use Photoshop to do your work, you can throw all your rules and artwork into a PDF by doing the following:

After opening PS, Select "File" then "Automate" and then "PDF Presentation".
At the top it will ask you what you want to add and where to find the files. Select "Browse" and look for the material you made and select them. Once the material shows up in your box back in the prompt, you can move the material around in order to provide an order on how you want the PDF file to go. So say you wanted your rules first, then a map, then the cards, then the tokens, it would look like this on your screen:

"rules.doc."
"Map.png."
"Cards1.png"
"Cards2.png"
"Cards3.png"
"Tokens.png"

in the next box, it gives you two choices of either "Presentation" or "multi page Document". obviously you want the latter. There are selections that will also print optional items on there as well, and I suggest you dabble with them to figure out which items work best for you.

From there it will open a page asking you where you want to save the PDF file and will prompt you for a "name" of the PDF. Its a good idea to name it "your game name, your name, and the date" if you plan on distributing it even as a PNP so others know what it relates to.

Lastly it will give you a screen that asks for technical data. If you need help with any of those, you can contact me directly for more information via email. The one thing I suggest you should do right now though is in the general tab select, "View PDF after Saving" so you can see how your file came out!

It will go through the automations and you should be done! after it finishes batching, if you selected the last option you should see it all available and ready for you to preview.


IF YOU DONT HAVE PHOTOSHOP: you can send me the files and in what order you want them, Ill send them back in the PDF you want with the order you want and the name you decide on. Just let me know in advance
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot easier to just install a free PDF printer like CutePDF and print from whatever program you like straight to a PDF document IMO.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CutePDF all the way thumbsup
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to CutePDF, I've been using PDF995 (Free Version) for years. I think it's Windows only.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Or, on a Mac in any program which supports printing: Choose "Print" and then select "Save as PDF" from the PDF button in the lower left.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and how do you keep the file small, but the quality good enough for printing?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
It's a lot easier to just install a free PDF printer like CutePDF and print from whatever program you like straight to a PDF document IMO.

This won't combine multiple files into one PDF like the thread author is saying.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use open office, its a free version of Microsoft Office, but allows you to export anything you have in open office to PDF.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
This won't combine multiple files into one PDF like the thread author is saying.

Depends on your files. You can easily drop several images into a Word document (or other text editor of choice) and then print to a multi-page PDF. This won't let you merge multiple non-image files however unless you get really creative with how you embed files into each other until you have a single file that you can then print to PDF.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use OpenOffice. Has export to PDF built in with a single click.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
I just use OpenOffice. Has export to PDF built in with a single click.


...and I never understood why Office didn't copy that functionality.

(never mind, I just checked and Office 2010 can do it.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

On a Mac you just have to print one page this way (as a PDF), then you can open up that PDF and just drag-n-drop the other documents into the thumbnail preview list and they will be added to the PDF.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
pdfsam (free) - PDF split and merge does this for PC users:

http://www.pdfsam.org/
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MS Office has had the requisite functionality since 2007.

LibreOffice has it built in (and works on Windows, Linux, and MacOS)

PDF Split & Merge works on any platform that has a Java RE.

And CutePDF is fantastic as well.

I routinely use all of these at work to do just this. Very simple, very straight-forward, and no need for photoshop or acrobat (or whatever Adobe calls it these days).

Anyone with a desktop or laptop computer can do this for free on their own in a handful of steps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use LibreOffice and just merge everything into a single document by hand, then export that to PDF.
If anyone is using OpenOffice I'd recommend checking out LibreOffice, since it's basically a more lively evolution of OpenOffice that isn't handled by Oracle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to do this but got stuck ss I didn't have the option of PDF Presentation in the Automate menu.

Is there any other way to import a Word document into Photoshop to create a PDF.

My issue is that whenever I use Microsoft Word to convert to a PDF, the images in my rules get jagged edges and the text in the images are hard to read. I've tried messing with different settings in Word, but I can't figure it out. I've made sure the images fit the space without Word making them smaller, but that doesn't help.

Is there a setting in Photoshop that I should be using when creating the images so that it doesn't do this?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
I tried to do this but got stuck ss I didn't have the option of PDF Presentation in the Automate menu.

Is there any other way to import a Word document into Photoshop to create a PDF.

My issue is that whenever I use Microsoft Word to convert to a PDF, the images in my rules get jagged edges and the text in the images are hard to read. I've tried messing with different settings in Word, but I can't figure it out. I've made sure the images fit the space without Word making them smaller, but that doesn't help.

Is there a setting in Photoshop that I should be using when creating the images so that it doesn't do this?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.


Email me your work you want put into a pdf and Ill send it back to you in one form. just let me know the title you want for it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
Email me your work you want put into a pdf and Ill send it back to you in one form. just let me know the title you want for it!


Thanks for the offer, but the issue is I want to be able to do it myself so that every time I make a change, I can remake the pdf. So I don't want to have to keep bothering you to make it. I just need advice on a good way to make pdfs that don't reduce the quality of images.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SilvaShado wrote:
Sebathius wrote:
Email me your work you want put into a pdf and Ill send it back to you in one form. just let me know the title you want for it!


Thanks for the offer, but the issue is I want to be able to do it myself so that every time I make a change, I can remake the pdf. So I don't want to have to keep bothering you to make it. I just need advice on a good way to make pdfs that don't reduce the quality of images.


You said you were working with a Word document; this most probably indicates that you are using Windows.

2 options - print it to pdf using CutePDF, or save it as a PDF via MS Office's built-in capability (Office 2007 requires the installation of a free add-on called saveasPDFXPS or something like that.

Either way, it will appear exactly as it does in Word.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

You said you were working with a Word document; this most probably indicates that you are using Windows.

2 options - print it to pdf using CutePDF, or save it as a PDF via MS Office's built-in capability (Office 2007 requires the installation of a free add-on called saveasPDFXPS or something like that.

Either way, it will appear exactly as it does in Word.


Word's built-in process makes the images degrade, which is terrible for game rules.

I'll try the CutePDF program. Maybe it'll work better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SilvaShado wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

You said you were working with a Word document; this most probably indicates that you are using Windows.

2 options - print it to pdf using CutePDF, or save it as a PDF via MS Office's built-in capability (Office 2007 requires the installation of a free add-on called saveasPDFXPS or something like that.

Either way, it will appear exactly as it does in Word.


Word's built-in process makes the images degrade, which is terrible for game rules.



Have never know that to happen. Curious.

Quote:

I'll try the CutePDF program. Maybe it'll work better.


It should be. Essentially CutePDF emulates a printer, so takes the print output and turns it (via another piece of software called Ghost Writer, which I think is distributed with CutePDF) into a PDF file.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JA Andrew
msg tools
If you have CS5, to make a multi-page PDF in photoshop click file> browse in bridge. Then browse around for your files in the browser in the middle of bridge. Then fiddle with the settings of the PDF to your heart's desire on the right. Finally, click PDF in the output in the top right. Bam! Done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Have never know that to happen. Curious.

It should be. Essentially CutePDF emulates a printer, so takes the print output and turns it (via another piece of software called Ghost Writer, which I think is distributed with CutePDF) into a PDF file.

I didn't notice the problem until someone else pointed it out to me.

I'm hoping to have time this weekend to download Cute PDF and see what happens.

eljeffe418 wrote:
If you have CS5, to make a multi-page PDF in photoshop click file> browse in bridge. Then browse around for your files in the browser in the middle of bridge. Then fiddle with the settings of the PDF to your heart's desire on the right. Finally, click PDF in the output in the top right. Bam! Done.

I'm not sure which version of Photoshop I have, but I'll see if I can follow those directions to make a pdf.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.