Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get a few things out of the way first, a little background on the purchase. My wife and I had nearly finished shopping for our daughter, but she (our daughter) had repeatedly asked for Angry Bird and Temple Run games she was coming across at Barnes and Noble, Target, etc.

Now, the Angry Birds games didn't appeal to me, as I didn't want the pieces being flung all over the place (it would be more of a chaotic playtime than game) and the Angry Birds card game just didn't look like much game (And we had a ton of card games).

Same thing with the Temple Run:Speed Sprint card game. IT just didn't look like much game, and not different enough to justify a spot in our collection (again, we have a TON of take that, set collection, hidden role, and other various card games, even Uno and the likes).

So, the only one that was left was Temple Run: Danger Chase. Looking at how the game played via the back of the box, it was kind of intriguing at least to see that it was a press-your-luck dice game, against an electronic timer, and a modular game board that kept on going as long as players could survive. With powerups and the press-your-luck mechanic, I figured at least this would have SOME gameplay, and not just be complete shelf-fodder.

Christmas came and went, my daughter opened the game and was ecstatic. We set it up, put batteries in the timer, but never got the time to play it (Crazy rush of the holidays, being what it is...).

Fast forward to January, and a few cold weekends left us looking for some quick games to try out. Instead of going for our usual staples, I suggested trying 2 games that we still had yet to play - one of them being "Danger Chase".

Now, this is not a super deep game. You don't have card to play on your opponents or on your turn to really screw with other people. You can just roll the dice on your turn, and hope your opponent doesn't roll as well. But, there are a few things that keep this game from being a throw-away...

1) There IS decision on how you choose to roll, and it isn't just as simple as "Reroll any blanks". Sometimes, you WANT blanks, as your "runner roll" might place you on a hazard that immediately kills you. So before you hit the timer and start "pressing your luck", you DO need to calculate how far you want to go, where hazards are, and then try to keep all that in mind while you are being pressured by Jungle Drums beating in the distance

2) You can't just press your luck endlessly, you are on a timer. The timer actually makes the game fairly intense for a family game. My daughter especially freaks when it goes, and forgets how much she needs to move (often times, killing her unfortunately because she ends her turn on a hazard, being too worried about just ending before the "gong" sounds, placing her 1 step behind the last player). So you have a bit of a frantic race against the timer, to roll what you need, and pray you don't roll a bunch of demon monkey symbols.

3) There are 2 powerups in the game (plus a "magnet" space that lets you take a powerup from another player). One increases your movement speed, and another allows you to avoid dying (once for each "token" you have collected) when hitting a hazard space. You CAN plan your rolls to hit these spaces, though, so it is NOT totally random. Racing against the clock helps mitigate being "perfect" about it, but there is still thought and planning there.

So, there are 3 pretty big plusses to the game, which help it to actually be a very enjoyable game, especially for quick family play. However, there IS a negative which could arise in games of more experienced players, and that is:

** More experienced players will plan out all of their rolls ahead of time, dragging the game on well beyond it's comfort zone / wearing out it's welcome. This can make the game drag on and on, unless someone gets an unlucky roll right off the bat (which does happen, thankfully).

This hasn't really happened much for us, as my wife and daughter usually forget in the frantic roll of the dice and all, exactly what is ahead of them on the board. And truth be told, even some experienced gamers might get so caught up in the tension, that they miscalculate or make an error.

Altogether, though, this has been quite a pleasant surprise. The token cards are extremely small and cheap (but not shuffled or used that often), but the board, the player pieces, and dice are all decent enough for the 15 dollar (or so) price. The electronic totem also adds a lot of atmosphere to the game, and seems to hold up to a 7 year old pounding on it quite frequently so far.

So no complaints here, and I'm actually going to rate this a solid 7/10 for being such a surprisingly fun, quick family game. We can play one game of this in 5-10 minutes, and usually want to play a few more rounds. Not bad for what was expected to be nothing more than a commercial throw-away game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad Temple Run was such a winner!

FunkyFlyChicken wrote:

Now, the Angry Birds games didn't appeal to me, as I didn't want the pieces being flung all over the place (it would be more of a chaotic playtime than game) and the Angry Birds card game just didn't look like much game (And we had a ton of card games).

My boys love the Angry Bird games and yes, most of the sets we have sit in one bin mixed together. It has become a building activity rather than a game, except for one set Angry Birds: Star Wars – Jenga Death Star Game.

This game has a nice sturdy box with a lid that slides off the top and fits all the pieces and playing this game is like playing a reverse jenga game.

We roll to see which birds we catapult at the death star. You collect points based on which birds you knock down. The kids love this game and set up isn't too bad.

It is not a free play activity which I cannot say for ANY of the other games including Angry Birds: Star Wars – At-At Attack Battle Game. However, even the free play activity frustrates the kids because the head is difficult to balance properly.

The kids got both the holiday and the regular card games in their stockings from grandparents. The games are the exact same game. There is not much to it at all, a simple card sorting activity based entirely on luck. Then, at the end, you can flick a die at the card board pig. But, the kids love it.

You made a good choice with Temple Run. Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about the Death Star Jenga one, but that wasnt her choice of sets and it was more costly. Admittedly, I kind of want that one for myself...lol. Will probably end up with it one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Crebs
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
I think i'll pick it up and we can use our Indiana Jones pieces from the dvd game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.