Subject: Hydra rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have good ideas as to how to deal with the Hydra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hydra: WTF!?
It is tough but I do not feel it is overpowered. It only can hit one opponent a turn, and it is a slow creature, so it takes a lot of effort to manuver it into combat position. I find slow creatures very tedious to use at times because you need to use spells to get them into position.

I found my opponents can easily teleport it away or force push it out of threatening range with ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the Hydra is not MASSIVELY OP or does anyone have good ideas as to how to deal with him?

Teleport.
Force Push.
Sleep!
Run away!

I'm not saying those are the best strategies but they're the ones I end up using most often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is counterstrike a MUST use ability? Cause it would be hilarious to put the Hydra to sleep, make them hit it to wake it up, then get attacked for their efforts! Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
swingjunkie wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the Hydra is not MASSIVELY OP or does anyone have good ideas as to how to deal with him?

Teleport.
Force Push.
Sleep!
Run away!

I'm not saying those are the best strategies but they're the ones I end up using most often.

Banish is AWESOME against baddies as they are out of play for three turns.
Tanglevine will certainly slow him down. Lightning can daze and stun.

The MW forums are a great source of information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:

Banish is AWESOME against baddies as they are out of play for three turns.

You better make those 3 turns count, because if no progress is made and the creature comes back, you will be miles behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which mage are you playing? What have you tried? What kind of board position did you have (i.e. were you even or were you already losing and the hyrda just mopped you up)?

My personal favorite so far, the warlock, has all kind of lovely curses that can massively weaken enemy baddies, depending on what strategy you use. So, for example, I might combo Marked for Death (gives your guys a bonus attack) with Weaken (gives him fewer attack die) and some small imps. Of course, I assume you're up against a wizard (correct me if I'm wrong), so he can still do some annoying things with your enchantments, so instead, I might put Death Pact on him and hit him at range with the big flaming trident guys (can't remember the name off the top of my head).

My general goal would to either be to put so much damage on him quickly that he can't survive long, or to put so many burns and life drains that eventually even the hyrda can't survive long. Burn is generally a good way to deal with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many ways to neutralize or mitigate creatures. Which you want depends on the game state and your strategy. The simplest solution is to armor up and ignore it. Since armor works against each of the 3 triplestrike attacks separately, getting armor 3 or 4 should mitigate about half of the damage, which goes a long way. Similarly, Agony and weaken effects reduce the damage the Hydra dishes out.

If you want to punish your opponent for keeping their Hydra, you can put Essence Drain or Pacify on it. Especially combined with a Suppression Cloak, you can really cut into their mana reserves if they want to attack you with the hydra.

Slow melee creatures are easy to disrupt. Force Push, Teleport, and walls will really slow it down. You can also use Tangle Vine, although a Hydra can destroy that pretty quickly. Still, the slow trait means that an immobilized turn is much worse for the Hydra than it is for most creatures.

You can use holy or lightning attacks to stun/daze the Hydra repeatedly. This mostly makes sense if you want to focus it down, or it has a low action/mana cost to you to do it.

You can swarm it with your creatures, especially if they have piercing to get around the armor. This is what I'd generally suggest for the Beastmaster, although you'll want to incapacitate it somehow so that you don't get hit with a bunch of counter attacks. You can also just attack it and potentially kill it in a single turn if you're outfitted for heavy melee attacks and use Battle Fury. Of course, it might make more sense to just attack the enemy mage in that case.

You can use Force Hold, Turn to Stone, or Sleep to completely lock down the Hydra, or use Banish to get it out of the way for a time. The Stonegaze Basilisk can be used in a similar role, but the effect will eventually wear off on it's own.

If you're using fewer creatures than your opponent, you can use conjurations that punish creatures. Giving all of their creatures upkeep, as an example, can really constrain what they can do to you, and if the conjuration is far away, it will be a significant investment to dispatch a Hydra to deal with it. Presumably they have faster creatures, but those creatures might not be strong enough to destroy the conjuration quickly.

Now, the Hydra has a few advantages as well. Try not to use Block or Reverse Attack against it, since you'll only catch a single attack with it.

I've never thought the Hydra was overpowered. I'm more concerned by the Gorgon Archer. I don't think it's necessarily overpowered, but it can completely lock down your opponent's offense if they don't deal with it. I've gotten to the point where my mage was making two 12 dice attacks in a turn, so the triple strike attack on the Hydra doesn't really concern me particularly. Can it be strong? Sure, sometimes, but there are so many ways to neutralize or mitigate the Hydra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen [2 Armor] reduce a Hydra's 3x3 to 3 damage (9 minus 6). So there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, armor makes the Hydra's attack pretty weak. 2 is enough to significantly reduce the threat of a triple strike attack, or getting pushed through a Wall of Thorns for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chang
msg tools
swingjunkie wrote:
Does anyone have good ideas as to how to deal with the Hydra?

Agony reduces the Hydra's triplestrike to a single dice. And it can't be countered by Bear Strength. Melee +2 only applies to the first attack, while Agony applies to all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:

If you want to punish your opponent for keeping their Hydra, you can put Essence Drain or Pacify on it. Especially combined with a Suppression Cloak, you can really cut into their mana reserves if they want to attack you with the hydra.

Waking up a dead thread here, but still a relevant question, so here goes.

Pacify and suppression cloack only works for the first attack, as "pay costs" oly happens for before the first attack, ans suppression cloak specifically mentions "for the first attack". They are not great. Actually, if my opponent played suppression cloak, I'd be happy playing a hydra.

Regarding armor: Also not great. Still 9 dice coming against you, with an average of 4.5 crit damage. It helps, bit it's not good.

Agony, however, is excellent. Makes him close to useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordTengil wrote:
sdougla2 wrote:

Waking up a dead thread here, but still a relevant question, so here goes.

Pacify and suppression cloack only works for the first attack, as "pay costs" oly happens for before the first attack, ans suppression cloak specifically mentions "for the first attack". They are not great. Actually, if my opponent played suppression cloak, I'd be happy playing a hydra.

Regarding armor: Also not great. Still 9 dice coming against you, with an average of 4.5 crit damage. It helps, bit it's not good.

Agony, however, is excellent. Makes him close to useless.

Keep in mind the armor +2 example earlier in this folder would apply to each attack of 3 dice. The Hydra Triplestrike is rolled as three separate attacks so the armor applies to each one. This helps to reduce the overall damage taken on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. That's why I say 4.5 crit damamge average on 9 dice. So one would still expect a bit over 4.5 damage. That is still a significant amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.