Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our premier game of drunk quest last night and had a crazy chaotic time.

There were six players in total and I would say the match took like an hour or so. I will begin this report by saying that over all we did have fun, but there was an aspect that I felt made things quite chaotic and detracted from the best part of the game; and that was the large number of instant cards in the game. Instants were flying left and right and with such frequency that we kept forgetting whose turn it was.

I began the game and here is how the first few minutes of the game went. This was all on the first turn of the game.

Me “OK I enter the dungeon and reveal my monster and I fight...”
Tim “Wait! I play this card, Brian take a drink!”
Brian “Oh yeah, well you take a drink too Tim because I am playing this card!”
Jason “Oh yeah, well how about everyone take three drinks because I am playing this card!”
Tim “Nope… I play this card and stop your card, now everyone else takes four drinks!
Jason “Well I play this and take your equipment!”
Brian “Oh yeah, well I am playing this card and gaining a level!
Collette “No you’re not; I play this card to make you lose a level! HA!”
Linda “Oh yeah, well drink 3 times!”
Me “That’s it, I play this card and look at your hand Tim and get to take a card!”
Tim “Nope! This card lets me turn your own card back on you, and now I take your card Mike!”
Me “Sigh… Are we done playing instants? Can I take my turn and play a card on my monster now?”

All this chaos literally happened on the first turn the second the circle opened. And by the time we started playing action cards on the monsters, players were using actions and permanents they drew at game start to gain more treasures with more instants and continued to add to the commotion.

By the time it was time to fight the monster; it was moved away from me. And I drank over 15 times just by people playing instants that forced me to drink. The structure of the circle was horribly disrupted.

I feel there needs to be some house rule to curb the overwhelming number of instants in this game. Granted it was a six player game and the more players mean the more instants that can be in everyone’s hands.
It just felt like we were playing two games at the same time. There was the turn based monster slaying drinking themed game that was half forgotten on the table in front of us, and then there was the play as many instant cards as you can, as fast as you can, and don’t stop for any reason game that was dominating the evening.
We also had a lot of fun with the “Nosey card” and the “Scurvy” card that made me talk like a pirate.

My feeling is that I was expecting the actual “circle” aspect of the game to be the focal point, but clearly it is not. The game is all about playing instants and being silly. And that is not a bad thing per se... Just unexpected.

I wonder what other peoples games have gone like. Do you feel that the instants were dominating, or was the focus more on action cards and monster slaying?
The game ended with only 3 people even getting their second turn. We went one full round and 3 people into round two a player won because his realm ability let him gain an extra level each time he drank enough drinks. So he defeated only 2 monsters and each time gained 2+ levels, and thanks to an action card he made one monster worth an additional level, so that was 5 levels gained in 2 monsters.

In the end I know it is a drinking game and should not be taken too seriously, but I feel the best mechanic of the game was overshadowed.

I am tempted to buy a couple more copies and just take all the action cards from it and put them in the treasure deck to decrease the number of instants. Or maybe house rule that you can only play instants on your own turn as an extra action. I know there are some instants you will want to play on other player’s turns as a “gotcha” moment. Granted this was my first game and all. We shall see how future ones go. I just wish the game focused more on the circle.
I wonder if anyone else had similar experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night too and ran into a lot of the same. We still had a blast and the Nosey and Scurvy cards were great, but the instants seemed almost nonstop. You definitely start forgetting where you left off in the circle. I feel there should be a player marker and a circle marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur.

Played my first game this weekend too, but with only 3 people. During the first monster flip, two of us had 19 drinks due to instants, I had the freaking Nosey card played on me (which rather than get burned, I just played the rest of the game with my finger on my nose). The other player had the Chainmail coaster, so he missed most of the shenanigans on the first monster.

Long story short, it became too hard to track what the hell was going on, and eventually we all just worked together to end it as quick as possible.

Neat idea, fun kickstarter, fun package and artwork, probably never play it again.

NOTE: Don't play this game with any beers you actually enjoy, you will have to drink them so fast, all the pleasure will be traded for gas. I have never pounded a Lagunitas Sucks or Sumpin Sumpin so fast....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you started with only 3 cards it will lessen the severity of instants.

And I am seriously conciddering houseruling all "drink" instants to be actions. That would help A LOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi !
Has anyone tried the above suggested house rules (3 treasures at start,drink instant become actions or reducing number of multiple copy instant cards,...)
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not had the opportunity to play it more than one other time unfortunately.

It was with 4 players and it was not as bad. We just asked people to be a little reserved with playing their instants.

Looking forward to another 6 player rematch game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.