Popular Tags: [View All]
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been some confusion about the number of symbols you have when you select a role whose stack is empty. We originally thought you counted the symbol on the depicted virtual card (and the ones with leader bonus of +[symbol] therefore contributed two symbols to the role). However, this doesn't make too much sense with Colonize: how would the symbol from the virtual Colonize card possibly be tucked under a planet?

So is it therefore the case that selecting a role with an empty stack therefore contributes 0 symbols? For example, if the Warfare stack is empty, and I select the warfare role but am unable to boost it, do I have the option of:

a) Collect 0 fighters or
b) Attack 1 planet ?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think you have it right.

Research, Produce, and Trade all have +1 symbol as the Leader Bonus when the stack is depleted, which is to act as the symbol you would have gotten on the card. Survey, Colonize, and Warfare don't have this Leader bonus, so there's no symbol when the stack is depleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dooof wrote:

Research, Produce, and Trade all have +1 symbol as the Leader Bonus when the stack is depleted, which is to act as the symbol you would have gotten on the card. Survey, Colonize, and Warfare don't have this Leader bonus, so there's no symbol when the stack is depleted.

I think this does bother me a bit. The only one for which you would not immediately collect the "reward" is colonize. So it should be straightforward to just add 1 to whatever. I could see not getting 1 additional symbol with warfare just to balance it with colonize, but why shouldn't survey get an extra symbol. I suppose it matters little. I think it would be a strange game where survey was empty and people were still surveying for planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
dooof wrote:

I think this does bother me a bit. The only one for which you would not immediately collect the "reward" is colonize. So it should be straightforward to just add 1 to whatever. I could see not getting 1 additional symbol with warfare just to balance it with colonize, but why shouldn't survey get an extra symbol. I suppose it matters little. I think it would be a strange game where survey was empty and people were still surveying for planets.

That Warfare and Survey do not have an additional leader bonus of +1 symbol was an oversight on my part. It is very rare that it matters, but as errata, in the case that the Survey or Warfare role stacks are empty, you may play as if "+1 symbol" were printed on the Central Card Display just as it is on Research, Produce, and Trade.

For the next printing of the game TMG is rectifying this oversight, and the 1st expansion will likely include stickers for players to fix their boards if they so choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
dooof wrote:

That Warfare and Survey do not have an additional leader bonus of +1 symbol was an oversight on my part. It is very rare that it matters, but as errata, in the case that the Survey or Warfare role stacks are empty, you may play as if "+1 symbol" were printed on the Central Card Display just as it is on Research, Produce, and Trade.

For the next printing of the game TMG is rectifying this oversight, and the 1st expansion will likely include stickers for players to fix their boards if they so choose.

So then Colonize will be the only one that will get "worse" when the cards run out? Should it get some other out-of-cards bonus to balance this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
sedjtroll wrote:

So then Colonize will be the only one that will get "worse" when the cards run out? Should it get some other out-of-cards bonus to balance this?

No, it does not need anything like that. Colonize is good enough as it is, and when the stack is empty it's often actually better if you don't need to take a card. So it's often a benefit that the stack is empty.

It does not make sense to add a Colonize symbol when choosing a Colonize role from an empty stack because you cannot tuck a virtual symbol under a planet, and when using the role to flip, getting the card doesn't do anything for you anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.