United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con badge registration opened today. 12 Noon EST.

VIG badges apparently sold out in less than 5 minutes. (yeesh!)

I already registered, did anyone else?

www.gencon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine! What exactly does the VIG badge get you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
The VIG badge gives you access to some special stuff:
- an exclusive swag bag, which has been, in past years, much better than the basic one
- early access to the Exhibit hall
- Priority booking in the gen con housing block (guaranteed your choice of top three hotels)
- A vig lounge, which has free beverages and wi fi, and a special VIG will call line, so you can pick up your badges and register for events without waiting in the main line.

More details can be found here: http://www.gencon.com/attend/vig

They are also much more expensive.

I was extremely lucky to get a VIG badge; this is my first gen con, and I figured I'd go in "style".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea when the housing block opens on Tuesday? And by what time zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
January 29 at Noon (Eastern)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Pustulant Donkey
badge
Canadian Ghost
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm officially psyched for my first Gencon! Just booked a Double Room for me and my bro at the Fairfield and the process was really quite painless (maybe I was lucky?). Anyway, now the hard part is figuring out what events to go for and waiting the 6+ months till August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record the benefits of paying the $500+ premium is very much not worth it. I did it 1 year and wound up getting a refund. Also, you only get in 1 hour early on Thursday for the exhibit hall. And that is the only real tangible benefit.

The swag bag is not guaranteed and usually has 0 games in it. If you are at your computer at noon you can get any hotel you want anyhow. And the VIG lounge offers the same features as Starbucks (for a $10 premium you can have your badges FedEx'ed to you).

J

opey2dope wrote:
- an exclusive swag bag, which has been, in past years, much better than the basic one
- Priority booking in the gen con housing block (guaranteed your choice of top three hotels)
- A vig lounge, which has free beverages and wi fi, and a special VIG will call line, so you can pick up your badges and register for events without waiting in the main line.

I was extremely lucky to get a VIG badge; this is my first gen con, and I figured I'd go in "style".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, the VIG package is an upgrade of 470 for 1 person; still very high. Some people will feel that this is worth it, many will not. I, personally, was only going to try to get it just to be a bit luxurious, I didn't have my heart set on it.

The VIG swag bag has had games in it the last few years.

here's 2011's bag, for instance:2011

and 2009: 2009

Nothing amazing, but still pretty cool.

For me, the guaranteed hotel room was the best piece; the rest was just icing on the cake. I can be very picky about my hotel, and my chosen hotel (embassy suites) at the housing block was so much cheaper, that it made up the difference in price on the badges. this hotel is also in high demand, so I was unsure if I would be able to get it without booking through the hotel (at a much higher price, the block price was 211; the hotel price direct was 359!). I was, however, only somewhat interested. If I couldn't get it, it was no big deal. That I was able to grab a VIG was pure dumb luck.

Its sort of a moot point, however, since the available VIG badges sold out in 2 MINUTES! (previous VIG members get a chance to renew before anyone else. ) Clearly, the cost is not too high, at least from a business perspective. People buy them out anyway, despite the high price.

Overall, the VIG program is just a nice idea, that really only has limited benefit to the Con. Some people will feel that the extra money is a worthwhile cost, but many won't.

jgortner wrote:
For the record the benefits of paying the $500+ premium is very much not worth it. I did it 1 year and wound up getting a refund. Also, you only get in 1 hour early on Thursday for the exhibit hall. And that is the only real tangible benefit.

The swag bag is not guaranteed and usually has 0 games in it. If you are at your computer at noon you can get any hotel you want anyhow. And the VIG lounge offers the same features as Starbucks (for a $10 premium you can have your badges FedEx'ed to you).

J

opey2dope wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.