Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still new at the game and still reading the rules/cards/board notes etc. But, I have been wondering.... why would anyone buy a Frigate over a Galleon for the same price? I mean... the Galleon is so much better equipped than the Frigate in everything, except for (1) Maneuverability. Can anyone explain that in "landlubber" words?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The maneuverability is exactly why the frigate is so good. The quickest route to victory points is merchant raids...they are fast and on the whole get far less damage to your ship than fighting NPCs or other players. The extra maneuverability means that an unupgraded frigate can take 2 hits instead of 1 by a unupgraded galleon... this means you just doubled your odds of success.

You can often string 2 or even 3 if your luck y merchant raids before porting for repairs and restocking of special weapons where as even in a galleon you are likely to have to repair after a single ship to ship combat unless you were very luck

Finally, if you can get rigs and sails the frigate is really really nice as you get the extra seamanship dice against npc man-of-wars and galleons (that don't have their own rigs and sails). Plus you would be albe to take 3 hits on merchant raids.

It may be a bit of self-promoting but it does answer this and other similiar questions so heres a link to my guide to playing a pirate: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/747143/so-you-want-to-be-a-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
The maneuverability is great, but I still think the galleon is a bit stat heavy in at least 1 area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
That 1 maneuverabily makes the Fregate much better at merchant raids.

Half of the cargo cards are escape and with an average of 3 gold you need 4 cards to get the 12 gold needed for a glory. With only 2 in maneuverabily, that gets much harder (don't have the numbers, but is a big difference as I recall it).

Most of the time pirates get their points from merchant raids, but if you find that many NPC ships are on the board, or if you plan to attack the other players, a Galleon is much better.

I would suggest playing it the way it is now, but if you find the Galleon overpowered (can depend on your groups playing style), there is an official variant, that lowers the galleons maneuverabily to 1. Then a captain in a Fregate gets an extra die to his seamanship roll from having a 2 or higher maneuverabily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been many threads discussing this, but I think this one is probably the most comprehensive: Frigate vrs Galleon... what am I missing?!?!. Four pages of input from everybody including the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
The maneuverability is exactly why the frigate is so good. The quickest route to victory points is merchant raids...they are fast and on the whole get far less damage to your ship than fighting NPCs or other players. The extra maneuverability means that an unupgraded frigate can take 2 hits instead of 1 by a unupgraded galleon... this means you just doubled your odds of success.

You can often string 2 or even 3 if your luck y merchant raids before porting for repairs and restocking of special weapons where as even in a galleon you are likely to have to repair after a single ship to ship combat unless you were very luck

Finally, if you can get rigs and sails the frigate is really really nice as you get the extra seamanship dice against npc man-of-wars and galleons (that don't have their own rigs and sails). Plus you would be albe to take 3 hits on merchant raids.

It may be a bit of self-promoting but it does answer this and other similiar questions so heres a link to my guide to playing a pirate: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/747143/so-you-want-to-be-a-p...

Don't worry about being self promoting... I never read your "Guide" so, thanks for that!!!

Also, I want to thank you guys for all the answers and believe it or not.. I did do a search, but I suppose my wording wasn't good enough.

No need to post more answers... I do hate to see posts "overdone" myself.

I never thought about that being a better ship for doing Merchant Raids!

Sphere, Thanks for that link too! I will read it over.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.