Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a week straight of single-digit temperatures in Minnesota, me and GenjiSiKaanu decided to head to balmy Oivi, Paupa for Scenario M2, “The Gloomy Forest.” After getting thrashed twice in Fading Glory the day before as the Allies, I figure redemption is at hand and choose them once again.

Off we go. Not too many choices for the Japanese. I decided to set up Lt. Thorton, three teams, and two LMGs in foxholes in the objective on the ridge to cut off easy village access via the trail. I also set up a Colonial squad and another team on the flank, dug in, in activation range of Thorton if the Japanese decided to make an end-around through the jungle. (They did.) Sgt. Paranjape was off to the right to provide LOS just in case any artillery support was forthcoming. (It wasn’t.)

The 1st Platoon was making its way through the river, slowly and painfully due to the early work and tons of lead provided by Thorton. But those pesky sighting markers have a way of appearing behind your lines. The Aussies heard noises beyond the village, and wouldn’t you know it, a lonely mortar team was out for a stroll.

With the forward positions well in hand, a Colonial squad used their fleet (SSR-enabled) feet to run back and meet the pest. Not wanting to mess around, they hopped into melee with bayonets well sharpened and glinting the afternoon sun. Threat dispatched.

Meanwhile, the 1st Platoon was over the river and through the woods into Lt. Thorton’s withering gun-sights they want. In the process, LMGs jammed when the Aussies got a bit too excitable sustaining their fire. A little moderation here might have been wise.

But it turns out the Colonials didn’t do quite as good a job dispatching the team as they’d thought. No sooner were they gone, were shouts heard from the village. With more pressing issues in the front, and orders at a premium, the Commonwealth decided to let them have their cheap, cheap VPs. The Japanese commander saw things differently regarding the value of those VPs, and gladly took them while firing off a single-finger salute to the Allied HQ.

With Sgt. Obata dead at the hands of Thorton’s men, the Japanese high command decided to rush the Allied position by ambushing them in melee. Alas, the gods of war are fickle, even when you go in with a 5-3 FP advantage. Things are looking grim for Team Red. The 1st Platoon is leaderless and in tatters, and Thorton is well-positioned and more or less feeling strong.

That is, until those very same gods of war decided to sweep some detritus across the battlefield, and wouldn’t you know it, in one of the most CCiest events ever, a nice blanket of 6-smoke lands in the [expletive deleted, expletive deleted] chokepoint trail hex through the river. The Allied high command reminds themselves that managing chaos is why they do this day after day, week after week, and never, ever get sick of it.

3rd Platoon arrives. Allies aren’t sweating yet. Ain’t no MMG gonna scare us.

Konburo’s crew makes their move. That sound you hear is the clock. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

And then in one of those plays that for my money makes CC the absolute greatest game around, Konburo stands his troops up in the face of the great Lt. Thorton and says, “You know what? You’re not so tough. How’s about we throw a little enfilade at you. And just for good measure, we’ll do it twice.” Break, break, break, break.

Then, much to the dismay of the good guys, Konburo loaded up and did it again. (This next picture is a quiz. Compare it to the one before it and see if you can find four differences. Don't squint too hard; they're pretty easy to see.)

Konburo knows an opening when he sees one and sprints to the objective. The Australian morale is so shattered from watching the once superhuman Lt. Thorton fall, they duck their heads, and don’t even fire a shot. (Editor’s Note: This was not ideal, and perhaps it was even quite unlucky. That said, why would not having a Fire card ever make someone angry to the point of not wanting to play this game? It makes perfect narrative sense.)

Anyway, from there it’s academic.

Another tremendous game of CC. But then again, aren’t they all? The Japanese have no chance. They’re done, they might as well give up. Time is running out. Thorton and the Allies are unbeatable. Until they aren’t, and then it’s over. I will never understand what dark arts went into making the CC brew to produce these kinds of results again and again and again, but maybe I shouldn’t even bother wondering. I’m just glad it exists.

As always, thank you and cheers to the CC designers and community.
–JA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truly an EXCELLENT after action report !

Thanks much for taking the substantial time and effort to create it and post it here for me to enjoy !

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read hope you do more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report and photos. Thanks so much for posting Jason. I never tire of these excellent session reports.
Cheers mate.
~ Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redman
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR. Was really bummin' by turn 4 or 5 when the Japanese were getting nowhere but shot up - was this one of the first CC scenarios that was unbalanced? - but, in the end, the Combat Commander system comes up balanced, chaotic, & really, really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenjiSiKaanu wrote:
...was this one of the first CC scenarios that was unbalanced? - but, in the end, the Combat Commander system comes up balanced, chaotic, & really, really fun.

It’s interesting. Right after this one, we played #51, the Brits landing at Sword, and I was beaten like a drum. Wasn’t remotely close. I was sitting there thinking, “Man, this seems mighty tough for the Brits. Almost unfair.” That is, until we postmortemed it and Michael made a suggestion: Hey, you know, you probably should have been smoking up the HMG nest instead of trying to drop an 8-shot on 3-cover with a leader. Likely would have changed things, considering you still got your flamethrower up the beach and to the foot of the communication trench as time expired.

!!!

Yup. Indeed. And how many times have I played? Funny how this game works, and “problems” magically disappear when you remove the dunce cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.