Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. I'm fairly interested in this game. I'm currently trying to decide whether to shell out the dough to back on Kickstarter. Call me "on the fence."

One of my primary criteria in making my decision is storage concerns. I live in a small apartment with my wife, and we don't have lots of room for games. Consequently, I try not to buy expansions for games unless they fit in the original game box.

In the same vein, I would hate to get this game only to find out that I need extra boxes for all of the minis. On the opposite side of the coin, I would hate to miss out on all the awesome extra minis if the box will be designed to hold everything. What I am asking is this: for the Blitzkrieg pledge level, will all of the included rewards fit in the original game box (once assembled)?

I don't own an games that are minis-heavy, nor any wargames, so please forgive me if the answers to my questions are obvious to those familiar with the genre. I couldn't find a thread here on BGG that dealt with the issue, and I didn't feel like combing through the 6,000+ comments on the KS page to see if CMoN answered that question already. Any help here would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eastern Front level will probably fit in one box.

Last I knew Blitz is still to be determined. It will be hard for them to say for sure until all the units for the Blitz are determined, but I would expect you will get an Eastern Front box, and then one or more boxes that has the addons to make it a blitz.

Even if it doesn't fit in a box or two, it will not be long before people start coming up with/finding low cost storage solutions.

My $.2 is pledge in at Eastern Front level and you can up your pledge before the end if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The outer box it is shipped in is big enough. Use that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. Im interested in the game but don't have extra storage space for another 'big' miniature game. I'm hoping that when they do the retail version they will cut out all the duplicate minis in order to get it into a smaller box and a lower price point. I'd love to see them simplify the core game down to fit in a normal boardgame box and come in under $70. I don't know how they are going to fit those tanks in a boardgame box?

This seems like the perfect introduction to miniature wargames/boardgames but at the $90+ price point it's not likely to attract many new players to the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind both the Blitz and Core sets include shipping within the US and a lot of miniatures and plastic peices that will require little to no assembly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
I'd love to see them simplify the core game down to fit in a normal boardgame box and come in under $70.

I don't know how they are going to fit those tanks in a boardgame box?

This seems like the perfect introduction to miniature wargames/boardgames but at the $90+ price point it's not likely to attract many new players to the genre.

The size of the tiles defines the size of the box. If the tile is roughly 10" square, then that's the box.

The tanks are not that big, perhaps 2.5" wide x 3" long x 1.5h tall.

At the $90-ish price point, there are a number of good introductions:
- Dark Vengeance for Warhammer 40k (28mm "heroic")
- Open Fire! for Flames of War (15 mm historical)
Just depends on what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:

At the $90-ish price point, there are a number of good introductions:
- Dark Vengeance for Warhammer 40k (28mm "heroic")
- Open Fire! for Flames of War (15 mm historical)
Just depends on what you're looking for.

Open Fire actually retails for $70 and you can usually pick it up for around $60. I was very happy with the game at that price point. I just think Rivet Wars would attract a larger audience at retail if that could hit that price range. Not trying to be negative... I really want the game to be successful and attract new gamers to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
I'm in the same boat. Im interested in the game but don't have extra storage space for another 'big' miniature game. I'm hoping that when they do the retail version they will cut out all the duplicate minis in order to get it into a smaller box and a lower price point. I'd love to see them simplify the core game down to fit in a normal boardgame box and come in under $70. I don't know how they are going to fit those tanks in a boardgame box?

They have already confirmed that the game will retail at $100 MSRP. The Eastern Front pledge level is the equivalent of the retail box when released. All the contents of that pledge level will bit in the box. For the BK pledge level the extras will come in separate plain cardboard boxes. Some of it will fit in the retail box but not all of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that anyone investing at the Blitzkrieg level is in it for the long haul, and will most likely be getting many future expansions/releases related to Rivet Wars. I know I will be.
So, unless CMoN opts for selling individual/expansion units in blister packs, future sets should have their own box to accommodate more minis (especially after removing any inserts, as I usually do).

If space for your games is a concern, then the core set should still play fine, and you can always snatch up expansions later when space permits (once your gameroom/warehouse is finished).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Thetford
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, as much as I'd like your funding in the Kickstarter, I think you'd be better off waiting for retail.

The blitz level is very good value for what you get, but I do not expect it to all fit in the base game box.

If you were to fund during the Kickstarter, you'd want to do just the core box for $90 + maybe a few of the additional purchases that aren't Blitzkrieg only. The problem is that while you'd be saving $10 off retail, you would probably save $20 or more off retail buying from CSI or MM after it is released.

However, if you don't mind paying a bit more than you might be able to later, $90 + a few add-ins is probably about right if you want it all to fit in the base game box.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ rdsmith
Thanks for the info. I think I would rather have the "official" boxes for the expansions (if I end up liking the game) rather than plain cardboard to get them with the Blitzkrieg level.

@ luv2breformed
Thanks for your honesty. The way I see it, two options emerge:

Option A: Go all in right now with Blitzkrieg. Get the materials for the first two/three expansions. End up with a TON of stuff for a game that I might/might not like. Spend $150.

Option B: Wait for a retail copy from CSI or Miniature Market. Pay ~$70 for the core set. Figure out if I like the game. If I like it, then get the expansion minis later; end up paying probably $250+ for everything.

It's a risk/reward thing, and I think I'll stick with the lower risk/reward of waiting for retail. Thanks all for your opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option C: Wait for BGG "reviews" and "sessions". Figure out if it sounds like something you'd like. Demo it at a Con or two. Then figure out if you want to buy a retail copy from CSI / MM. (See Option B, above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
Hey all. I'm fairly interested in this game. I'm currently trying to decide whether to shell out the dough to back on Kickstarter. Call me "on the fence."

One of my primary criteria in making my decision is storage concerns. I live in a small apartment with my wife, and we don't have lots of room for games. Consequently, I try not to buy expansions for games unless they fit in the original game box.

In the same vein, I would hate to get this game only to find out that I need extra boxes for all of the minis. On the opposite side of the coin, I would hate to miss out on all the awesome extra minis if the box will be designed to hold everything. What I am asking is this: for the Blitzkrieg pledge level, will all of the included rewards fit in the original game box (once assembled)?

I don't own an games that are minis-heavy, nor any wargames, so please forgive me if the answers to my questions are obvious to those familiar with the genre. I couldn't find a thread here on BGG that dealt with the issue, and I didn't feel like combing through the 6,000+ comments on the KS page to see if CMoN answered that question already. Any help here would be much appreciated!

Get rid of the wife, use the space for game storage!
devilcoollaughmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfrsantos wrote:
Get rid of the wife, use the space for game storage!
devilcoollaughmeeple

Ha, good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
The way I see it, two options emerge:

Option A: Go all in right now with Blitzkrieg. Get the materials for the first two/three expansions. End up with a TON of stuff for a game that I might/might not like. Spend $150.

Option B: Wait for a retail copy from CSI or Miniature Market. Pay ~$70 for the core set. Figure out if I like the game. If I like it, then get the expansion minis later; end up paying probably $250+ for everything.

It's a risk/reward thing, and I think I'll stick with the lower risk/reward of waiting for retail. Thanks all for your opinions.

I honestly don't think you'd pay that much at retail for the game with the expansions as they are at the moment. My maths may be slightly off as I'm converting from what I estimate we'll pay in £'s but I think you're looking around $75-$80 for the main game and then probably somewhere around $35-$45 for each of the expansions (CMON have confirmed that they plan to release the current stuff that's been labelled expansions as two separate boxes with each containing a mixture of both Allies and Blight). At the maximum range you'd be looking at about $170 for it all but you wouldn't get the duplicates from the base game and you'd miss out on anything that is KS exclusive but personally I'm not convinced that either of those are enough to really make you frustrated that you didn't pledge (unlike the Zombicide exclusives for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Elwood" Hitchcock
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Games prepare us for real life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't assume that is true.
I got Zombicide on Kickstarter, and with all the extras there was the box, plus another box, plus some other stuff - when I opened the shipping box.
That said, its a ton of stuff for the money, and I'm wearing my Zombicide T-shirt right now!

- Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.