Subject: just wondering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a couple of times and the last game seemed like it took forever. I was wondering if the news events take too much money out of the game. I know players should invest slowly and always have a "rainy day" fund on hand, but a slew of bad news cards and a continued long, down trodden economy (not unusual) can make for a very long and some what frustrating game.

Wish there were more positive new cards to kind of speed up things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a more "gentle/friendly" game, you could remove some of the bad News events. However, what is bad for you could be good for me, so that doesn't really have a balancing effect on the game.

Once the game is understood by all players and without any AP, the game should be completed in under 2 hours.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
If you want a more "gentle/friendly" game, you could remove some of the bad News events. However, what is bad for you could be good for me, so that doesn't really have a balancing effect on the game.

Once the game is understood by all players and without any AP, the game should be completed in under 2 hours.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
Hi Steven, thanks for the response. I never played the original and I thank you guys very much for the remake.

I was just wondering out loud I guess why so many negative news cards. I know Oil companies invest (risk?) a lot on research, exploring, technology, etc in the hopes of making a profit. And that's not an easy feat during such an environmental concerned age, but let's be honest, they do get some subsidies and grants from our tax hungry government. Would have been nice to see one news card granting some subsides or free oil rigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my .02 - we found after a couple of games the stock dice seemed to end up rolling doubles too much - we swapped them out with some other dice and didn't have as many issues with the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:
Just my .02 - we found after a couple of games the stock dice seemed to end up rolling doubles too much - we swapped them out with some other dice and didn't have as many issues with the cards.
Hi Chris! I dont doubt you had bad dice and glad you traded them out. My thought was why so many negative cards?! As profitable as these companies are they still get some government subsides. Just thought it would have been nice to turn over at least one news card GIVING your Company some money for a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
True.

On another card note we were discussing after a couple of plays last night that the $10 per pumping oil subsidy card might actually be a little overly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar game where the economy killed us. Due to a few ones at critical junctures, the economy stayed flat most of the game (no depression or boom), so gas steadily dropped in price, and there was not enough of a price change to buy and sell anything. Everyone kept producing and refining in preparation for the growth that never came.

I was trying to think outside the box and find anywhere to make a profit. It didn't pay to buy, or sell buildings., everyone had so much oil and gas that it could not be sold off easily and if one person tried to pick it up cheap from the domestic or foreign market they were just paying someone else as they would immediately sell it back.

Anyone else have a game where the economy kept starting to heat up and would then just cool right off, endlessly cycling in th middle. It was not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, that's sounds like the game I played in. Besides having a sucky economy, we kept getting hit with the news cards that kept sucking money out of our already pitiful coffers.

It was that game that made me wonder why there were no "good" news cards. Why not have a news card that gave players back some decent cash and infused the game with a little more money. It didn't have to unbalance the game and would probably speed it up a little.
And besides, it's not like the Oil Companies have never seen a Subsidy or Federal grant to help them along.

I know everyone will point out the Oil Rig card, but that one is alittle weak IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.