Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an overview of all of my Car Wars posts from 2012.

Session Reports:

Extreme low-end dueling in a custom arena: session report, designer's notes, and stats for the duelists.

I played one more 5th edition game. I used to think it was a reasonable rule set to start my son out on, but it just doesn't work in practice.

A hard core gaming addict had always wanted to play, so I put together the best demo I could come up with to showcase the game. (Duelist stats are here.)

I ran the game emphasizing the role playing elements as much as possible. This ended up culminating into an epic road duel with low rider pickups loaded down with pedestrians in the back.

I long had a theory that the Scorcher would make a great amateur dueling car. I finally got to put that to the test against an expert player.

CWQ&A: (If you have questions for this column, please private message me!)

Why Do You Play Car Wars on a Grid?

Where Can I Find Scenarios for the Car Wars Compendium?

Suggestions for Continuing Car Wars Campaigns

Other Random Stuff:

Vehicle designs from back in the day....

The Arena Safety Code and its Discontents

The Articles of the Space Gamer: The EM-50

California and Los Angeles in Autoduel

I attempted to keep up with all the various news surrounding the new Car Wars Kickstarter, but attempting to document all that was a nightmare. Dig up those posts if you dare, but the news is quite stale at this point....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Car Wars almost continuously from about 1983 to 1994, running various solo campaigns as well as duelling against anyone that wanted to. It's great to see that there is still so much love for the game.

I dabbled with 5th ed as well, buying some stuff off eBay. I played one game then sold it on eBay. I think we have a similar view point on that version.

I've often thought about introducing it to my kids. They're gamer kids playing stuff like Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge, Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, Bohnanza and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space. I reckon they'd be able to follow the rules, and would probably enjoy the roleplay side of it, an aspect I was rarely interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
I've often thought about introducing it to my kids. They're gamer kids playing stuff like Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge, Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, Bohnanza and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space. I reckon they'd be able to follow the rules, and would probably enjoy the roleplay side of it, an aspect I was rarely interested in.

For the 10 and under crowd, I highly recommend Outrider. The great thing about that one is kids can customize their own cars by allocating different sized dice to the various vehicular attributes. It plays well enough... and other young kids that see it will want to jump in. A really neat game!

Man, I'd love to play Awful Green Things with my kids. Good idea.

I think for Car Wars... I will try again with my son when he hits age 11 or 12. I'll run it as a role playing game and do something like Convoy or Badlands Run. (Serious arena dueling I think I will hold off on until he's 14. Ah... but if I have Car Wars friends over on a weekend, he will play with us adults in the arena even though he's only nine. I think it'll work. The more players the better!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:

Man, I'd love to play Awful Green Things with my kids. Good idea.

Snit's Revenge works well too. I think the kids love them because the art and gameplay is fun, and they have an amount of role playing to them. At least they do when my son plays, Captain Yid is a very fastidious officer.

Thanks for the heads up on Outrider, I shall go check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.