Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really pains me to say this, but Spiderman is just a poorly thought out set of cards. If you add so much as a Maria Hill to your deck, it creates a point in your deck that Spiderman gets stuck on. Have 5 Spidermen in your hand? Better hope that top card isn't a cost 3 card, because you've got a dead hand if you do. It feels almost like no one even play tested him. Making a deck based on Spiderman is an exercise in clunky frustration. So sad, too, as Spidey is one of my favorite characters.

I feel like it should be house ruled that the ability be replaced with the following:
Look at the top card of your deck. If costs more than 2, discard it. Otherwise place it back on your deck. Draw a card.

This seems comparable to Nook Hound from Ascension. Not overly powerful, but at least he'd be useable. Right now... not so much.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
That replaces conditional card draw with guaranteed card draw. This makes Spiderman too good. He works well as is as a support character. As the only character as your deck, he can be a little weak towards endgame, but them's the breaks sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree (with the OP). While not my top pick personally, my youngest son has enjoyed great success employment a Spider-Man strategy (coincidentally his favourite superhero)! The effectiveness certainly depends on what other heroes are in play, but we've usually found there's enough to keep his deck cycling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Greg, that Spiderman seems weak. He certainly isn't overpowered. But I've only played with him in the set once (because I thought he was weak) and I'm willing to accept experienced players' opinions that he has strength in his own way. It's not obvious to me yet. I hope others will chime in and reveal something I'm missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Drake
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. In the beginning and mid-game he's deadly. When you team him up with card draw heros (Iron Man, Blackwidow, Gambit, Emma Frost), he's downright lethal-sometimes drawing your entire deck into your hand. I think it really depends on how you're making your deck. If all you are trying to do is get high-drop heroes in your deck, then yes, he might not be all that great.

I have never lost a game when I invested in Spiderman-not to say that won't happen in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of his cards.

If you can get Spidey into your deck early he helps a lot.

I was rescuing bonus bistanders right away and that gave me the bonus I needed to win the game.

And early he kept drawing all my Shield helpers to give me a HUGE leg up on my opponents. Late game his cards severely dropped in power individually. But I will always recruit him early if I can for the extra leg up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite combo so far has been Spidey with Nick Fury and assorted SHIELD officers. Spidey ensures you get a heavy hand of SHIELD members, while Nick unleashes the consequences of his....

WAIT FOR IT....

FURY :whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Fresh
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
EmperorJacob wrote:
I agree with you, Greg, that Spiderman seems weak. He certainly isn't overpowered. But I've only played with him in the set once (because I thought he was weak) and I'm willing to accept experienced players' opinions that he has strength in his own way. It's not obvious to me yet. I hope others will chime in and reveal something I'm missing.

It is true that Spider-man is weak on attack. If you were to recruit only Spider-man cards, you would probably be able to draw your entire deck. However, you still would not be able to kill Loki, since there are only 5 attack points in Spider-man's whole deck and you only start with 4 Shield troopers.

So the question is - what exactly are Spider-man's strengths?

1. All of his cards are cheap. Every Spider-man card has a cost of 2, even the rare card. For the first few rounds, you may find that you only have a couple recruit points. Or maybe you recruited something already and have 2 points left over. If Spider-man is in your HQ, you can almost always recruit something, rather than have those recruit points go to waste.

2. All Spider-man cards are draw cards. All Spider-man cards allow you to reveal the top card of your deck and then draw it if has a value of 2 or less. The draw mechanic is extremely powerful in this game. Not only does it add more cards to your hand, but it helps you cycle through your deck faster - allowing more powerful cards in your deck to pop up more frequently. At the beginning of the game, every Spider-man is an automatic draw card. This also allows Spider-man to combo well with Wolverine and Nick Fury.

3. Spider-man's Deck has 4 colors. Spider-man cards are covert (red), instinct (yellow), strength (green), and tech (black). The advantage of having multiple colors in your deck is that it helps ignite combos from other heroes' powers, and it helps protect against Villain or Mastermind Fight effects. This also allows Spider-man to combo well with Captain America.

4. Spider-man Web-Shooters allows you to rescue a Bystander each time you play it. This is valuable because Bystanders are worth 1 victory point each. So, in terms of points, every time you play this card, it's worth the same as if you had KO'd a henchman. It also combos well with Black Widow.

To summarize, Spider-man is not a powerful hero, but he is effective when used in a supportive role. His cards are interesting in that they start off strong in the beginning and lose their effectiveness as your deck becomes populated with high-cost cards. I do believe that Spider-man combos nicely with Wolverine, Nick Fury, Captain America, and Black Widow. And I think we may see more heroes that combo well with Spider-man in future expansions. I'm curious to see what cards will make use of the Spider-man icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
My favorite combo so far has been Spidey with Nick Fury and assorted SHIELD officers. Spidey ensures you get a heavy hand of SHIELD members, while Nick unleashes the consequences of his....

WAIT FOR IT....

FURY whistle

Ummm.... no he doesn't, Spidey ensures nothing. Especially if Fury is sitting on top of your deck, then Spidey draws you nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idrinkdrpepper wrote:
EmperorJacob wrote:

It is true that Spider-man is weak on attack. If you were to recruit only Spider-man cards, you would probably be able to draw your entire deck. However, you still would not be able to kill Loki, since there are only 5 attack points in Spider-man's whole deck and you only start with 4 Shield troopers.

So the question is - what exactly are Spider-man's strengths?

1. All of his cards are cheap. Every Spider-man card has a cost of 2, even the rare card. For the first few rounds, you may find that you only have a couple recruit points. Or maybe you recruited something already and have 2 points left over. If Spider-man is in your HQ, you can almost always recruit something, rather than have those recruit points go to waste.

2. All Spider-man cards are draw cards. All Spider-man cards allow you to reveal the top card of your deck and then draw it if has a value of 2 or less. The draw mechanic is extremely powerful in this game. Not only does it add more cards to your hand, but it helps you cycle through your deck faster - allowing more powerful cards in your deck to pop up more frequently. At the beginning of the game, every Spider-man is an automatic draw card. This also allows Spider-man to combo well with Wolverine and Nick Fury.

3. Spider-man's Deck has 4 colors. Spider-man cards are covert (red), instinct (yellow), strength (green), and tech (black). The advantage of having multiple colors in your deck is that it helps ignite combos from other heroes' powers, and it helps protect against Villain or Mastermind Fight effects. This also allows Spider-man to combo well with Captain America.

4. Spider-man Web-Shooters allows you to rescue a Bystander each time you play it. This is valuable because Bystanders are worth 1 victory point each. So, in terms of points, every time you play this card, it's worth the same as if you had KO'd a henchman. It also combos well with Black Widow.

To summarize, Spider-man is not a powerful hero, but he is effective when used in a supportive role. His cards are interesting in that they start off strong in the beginning and lose their effectiveness as your deck becomes populated with high-cost cards. I do believe that Spider-man combos nicely with Wolverine, Nick Fury, Captain America, and Black Widow. And I think we may see more heroes that combo well with Spider-man in future expansions. I'm curious to see what cards will make use of the Spider-man icon.

Good points, and they only solidify my points. Honestly, why buy something that is worthless mid to late game? I'd rather buy nothing than clog my deck with this conditional draw card (or read another way, only draw if the card sucks). Every game that I've seen someone try to make Spiderman work, that person got rolled HARD. Yeah, you sit there and play Village idiot and MAYBE rescue a bystander and/or hit a Red Hand Ninja on turn 6, while I hit Loki/Doom in the head with Hulk/Wolverine/pretty much whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Hake
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiderman is great when using heroes who have a decent number of 2-cost cards. I like Gambit, Wolverine, Black Widow... there are some decent combos.

I'm hoping that Spider-Man will be better when there are more Spider-Man Team heroes to use.

Maybe there will be an Uncommon Spider-Woman card that makes all heroes in your deck cost -1. That would allow a player to draw through the 3-cost characters, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in the anti-Spidey camp for quite a while, even made a Venting thread about him cool . A recent game added to my dislike of Spidey, as the initial heroes were all rather expensive (6 and 7 cost heroes out, cheapest was four), then around midgame, Spideys started showing up. This of course annoyed both sides as they had been adding 3+ cost cards up to that point, now HQ is half full of Spidey's (Recruit Spidey to boot), cards you don't want in your deck, especially not after adding all those expensive cards early. So three of the five cards are ones you don't want, but if you don't buy them, hero turnover ratio in the HQ grinds to a halt, can't find better heroes unless you buy shitty Spideys shake . If you get a host of Spidey's early, might grab them enmasse, but midgame onwards, buying them just dilutes the good stuff. And since there is no Rest-option ala Thunderstone, not like you can rid yourself of them either, not that you have a lot of time to do it either once you hit midgame and later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. I like him a lot and played him with great suceess. He can be comboed with things like Iron man draw a card to take that high cost card from the top of your deck. The amazing spiderman can be used too to place the cards how you want on top of your deck and gambit is nice too. Have fun

Remember that his cards gives a nice little effect and a draw. If you are able to get a lot into your deck, you will be very strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Spiderman/Black Widow deck once where I emptied the Bystanders deck and ended with 60 points. Spiderman can be great in certain combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I was thinking similarly as the OP about spiderman after looking through his cards. It's not so much disappointment as a lack of thematic integration that gets me.

I mean, it's hard to extrapolate years of comics into a game where you try to catalogue and comparatively rate the abilities of individuals with amazing super powers, but really, it's spiderman! I find myself wishing that his rare card was worth 4 and at least had some damage to it. Or that his other cards did some conditional (like superpower icon) additional damage.

However, from a balance standpoint, for two cost, his card powers are decent, and his rare card is quite good. If they made him all 3 cost and made his abilities better it would throw Deadpool's oddball out of whack, but I would still have liked it more I think.

Thematically, I see him dodging and jumping around, worrying about bystanders or putting his efforts towards stopping random bits of building from dropping than actually killing enemies. Sure, he has spider strength, but he's trying to distract or save others or not get critically hit. I'm not sure he would be able to solo a Sentinel by himself like some of the Avengers, but with team work he can definitely make some openings.

Still, part of me says he should be more powerful and they should've given his deck to Nightcrawler... *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Verzal
United States
North Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I like Spider-Man's deck. It feels like Spider-Man. It moves fast. Its about saving bystanders. Its using my Sipdey Sense to manipulate my deck. Its all that and its cool, but its a support role.

I know Spider-Man can't do physical damage on the same level as Hulk, Thor, or Wolverine and part of me likes that he doesn't. Another part of me thinks he is Spider-Man, the wall crawling crime fighter that The Ramones sing about on my iPod. The guy needs to do some damage!!!

I think I like Spider-Man as he is, but I certainly sympathize with fans of the character who object to having a top tier character shoe horned in a support role. I hope with time you guys find a way to use and enjoy the Web Head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Oscoda
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
timtheboywonder wrote:
I disagree. In the beginning and mid-game he's deadly. When you team him up with card draw heros (Iron Man, Blackwidow, Gambit, Emma Frost), he's downright lethal-sometimes drawing your entire deck into your hand. I think it really depends on how you're making your deck. If all you are trying to do is get high-drop heroes in your deck, then yes, he might not be all that great.

Well said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game, another Spider-Man experience, still sucks.

Went with:

Mastermind: Magneto

Scheme: Super Hero Civil War

Heroes: Cyclops, Gambit, Iron Man, Spider-Man (Wolverine was supposed to be the fifth hero, but the Scheme that got drawn only meant four would be used.)

Villain Groups: Brotherhood, Radiation, Savage Land Mutants

Difficulty: Champion Mode (+2 Twists), Tyrant Mastermind (+3 Power)

3x Astonishing Strength Spidey started out in the HQ, perfect to go with Spidey, right? Well, went with them anyways, soon became evident, nope, Spidey isn't getting it done, so added Cyclops and Gambit to provide some Attack. Of course, being 3+ cost, they screw up Spidey, so had to dilute further with Gambit and Iron Man for drawing cards. You know what is common with those two (and draw a card Black Widow)? Yep, zero Attack. So you have a hand of 10+, nice. Oh wait, you still have barely 5 Attack. And if Spideys come in one hand with SHIELD with any of your 3+ cost cards on top, you just wasted a turn and the Spideys. And since Spidey can't pull any real weight by himself, you have to have 3+ cost cards in your deck.

To make matters worse, all that buying, made necessary by the weakness of Spider-Man, meant the HQ was turning over even more heroes, with Twists also emptying it out. Not saying the other deck, which went pretty much Iron Man, was getting a shot at Magneto either, but at least it helped clear the city of Villains (or the game would've ended even sooner), finishing with 27VP. Spider-Man deck? 4VP, 1 Villain defeated in the entire game (on the turn it ended, Spidey deck would've finally gotten 9 Attack, still not enough for Magneto under Tyrant Mode). But where Iron Man could draw (Endless Invention), then drop Arc Reactor (which gets a boost from EI being Tech), Spider-Man just gets you SHIELD cards (woot!) with no synergy boosts. Attack for the Spider-Man deck was being provided by Cyclops and Gambit, neither of which can be gotten with Spidey's ability, making the whole thing like being pulled in two directions. With all the cards you have to add to make Spidey pull right, you're just diluting the deck horribly.

The above just seems like the norm for us. Decide to try it with Spider-Man, at some point you realize, nope, not going to cut, mad scramble to bolster the deck with other heroes (mostly ones that actually provide decent Attack), then have to counter the dilution and issue with the other heroes not being drawable by Spidey's ability. Meanwhile, the other side, that has been using a non-Spidey plan from the start, is firing on all cylinders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsm16_2000 wrote:
timtheboywonder wrote:

Well said!

Yes, it all depends on how you build your deck. Buy nothing over 2 cost and your deck will sail. Of course, then after drawing 15 crappy cards you'll have trouble killing a doombot, but hey! Village Idioting is fun! I just don't get it.

At the VERY least, you have to admit that buying a Spiderman is a gamble and makes for a clunky deck. One Maria Hill ends the drawing! A Maria Hill!!!

If you guys were closer, I'd love to challenge you to a game. You buy Spidey every chance you can, I'll avoid him like the plague, and I'll crush you. Again, not because I'm a superior player. But because Spidey is an inferior card that only lets you draw bad cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
If you guys were closer, I'd love to challenge you to a game. You buy Spidey every chance you can, I'll avoid him like the plague, and I'll crush you. Again, not because I'm a superior player. But because Spidey is an inferior card that only lets you draw bad cards.

It's not necessarily easy to win any game where you've already programmed my choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

It's not necessarily easy to win any game where you've already programmed my choices.

Fair enough. How about this. I'll put the stack of spider cards in front of you and you may purchase any card in the stack at any time. I think I'll still win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
logopolys wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Fair enough. How about this. I'll put the stack of spider cards in front of you and you may purchase any card in the stack at any time. I think I'll still win.

So if turn 1 I buy Spiderman's rare then ramp up hard with other hero purchases for the first half of the game (something fairly easy, as Spiderman's rare is going to give me probably at least 1 Shield agent/trooper a turn), you're guaranteed to win? I'm not saying that it's a flawless strategy, but you've given me a lot of freedom here, especially if the board gives me actual synergy cards for Spidey.

In the very least, I think you've made a bold claim that would be difficult to back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
I had a Spiderman/Black Widow deck once where I emptied the Bystanders deck and ended with 60 points. Spiderman can be great in certain combinations.

I think this is less about the effectiveness of Spidey and more about the awesomeness of Black Widow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
croloris wrote:
broggi wrote:

I think this is less about the effectiveness of Spidey and more about the awesomeness of Black Widow.

It takes 2 to tango. Black Widow by herself wouldn't have gotten nearly as many bystanders, and therefore would have been greatly weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple of games tonight with Spidey and found he combos rather nicely with Wolverine and Cyclops. I was pleasantly surprised at how effective he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.