BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wannabe Gamers needing advice on a purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brittany Michelle
United States
Central CA
flag msg tools
My husband's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a new game. Most of the time we play with just the two of us, though it would be nice to be able to play with 4 players occasionally (but I know that doesn't always work well so it isn't a huge deal). Here are some of the games we've played:

Rivals of Catan (own), with the expansions - we both love this game... we've played Settlers (without expansions) many times and both of us prefer the complexity of the card game and the more competitive aspect of it. It is also nice that it isn't really long

Carcassone (own), we have The River, Inns and Cathedrals & Traders & Builders (we've only played TR and I&C) - Neither of us really love this game, which is why we've never gotten around to playing it with T&B (though from after recently discovering the game weight rating I'm thinking we should ). It is too simplistic and not strategic enough or something.

Lost Cities (own) - Too fast... he likes it, I don't... it is a weird game and although we've played several times I can't get the hang of it

We also enjoyed Ticket to Ride and we own and love Qwirkle. We have played Saboteur once and we both liked it as well.

I've been interested in Dominon for a while, but recently I liked the looks of The Castles of Burgandy a lot. I especially like the fact that it is a dice game so a little different from the other games we have. I'm hoping for a medium - medium/heavy weight that doesn't cost a fortune (like Agricola ) and doesn't take longer than 90 minutes to play. Any other games I should look into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at these:

Tigris & Euphrates (it's a step up in weight from what you've been playing and enjoying; great game)

Pandemic (if you like the idea of working together instead of against each other, this one is great)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Castles of Burgundy is great with two. My wife and I play it a lot. It's relatively inexpensive (I think I got my copy new in the USA for 25.99 from coolstuffinc.com). It goes to four players, but as far as I know there's no real drop in gameplay quality like you find in other games.

I'll have to also support your Dominion choice. If you guys like card games, Dominion is great.

Agricola is great with two also, and I don't know if you know this but they just came out with a cheaper, two player version of it called Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Check out some reviews if you want. It looks pretty close to the original.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look into Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers over the original Carc. I've found it a lot more fun and more interesting for introducing newer gamers than regular Carc.

As for the others, let's see:

Thurn and Taxis - Sort of like Ttr, but also a worker placement game
Biblios - card collection game, but also demi-auctions, fun game

If you haven't tried one, a coop like Forbidden Island might be fun, more so for 2 than for 4, imo.

Another one that is a pretty big hit 2-4 is Through the Desert.

Maori is another one that scales well 2-4, and is an interesting twist on tile games. It's been a hit whenever I bring it out to new players, and my wife and I love to play it.

For 2 player only, I recommend Jaipur. I got this as a bonus (i.e. not on my wishlist) from my secret santa, and it has become a quick hit. I'll play it anytime, anyplace.

Other than that, feel free to scan my game list and comments, as my game plays I have posted sound a lot like your normal plays as well, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with The Castles of Burgundy and I advise making this purchase sooner rather than later. It is getting harder to find at the best OLGS's and I don't know if this is a temporary or permanent condition.

You could also check out In the Year of the Dragon by the same designer. It also scales well from 2-5, plays quickly and is relatively inexpensive.

Note that in the case of both games the component quality is less than in other comparable complexity games which I believe contributes to the games' lower price. It's most noticeable in CoB with its extremely thin cardboard player mats. It's not an issue for me because the gameplay is so good, but it is something to be aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tigris and Euphrates (nice deep game, so many options to score and prevent the other player from scoring)
+1 Thurn and Taxis (a pleasure to play, push you luck game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have The Castles of Burgundy and Dominion (with Seaside and Prosperity expansions, but haven't had a chance to play with the expansions yet).

So far, I enjoy both games. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of these great choices. Dominion plays a bit quicker than The Castles of Burgundy does, but I think The Castles of Burgundy is probably a little heavier in strategy than Dominion is.

I got The Castles of Burgundy from yoyo.com using the 30% off promotion for first-time customers, so the game only cost $20.99. If you're a first-time customer, you also get free shipping on $25 instead of $49 as usual. You can combine purchases from their partner sites to reach the threshold. I ordered some Swiffer refills with the game just to get to the minimum.

Dominion I got for $24.99 on an Amazon Lightning Deal back in December. Of course, it will end up costing much more, as you start adding more and more expansions! That's one neat part--if you get it as a gift and you both enjoy it, the expansions could serve as great gift options for future occasions.

I am new to board games, so I don't really know what else I would recommend, since these are 2 of the 3 games I own so far that I've actually had a chance to play. Good luck, and I hope you and your husband enjoy whichever game you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've been thinking about Dominion, you should really get it. It's a great game. I like to recommend Finca. It's more of a medium-light game, but it's got an interesting mechanic and it plays well with two to four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been suggesting the game Lords of Vegas. It might not quite fit what you are looking for, since it plays longer then 90 especially with more people, and the 2 player game plays a little bit differently (no trades and a smaller board). But it's a lot of fun and if there's a chance you'll haveother people over, it is a theme that most would try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Dominion here to see if you like it:

http://www.goko.com/games/Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BM678 wrote:

but recently I liked the looks of The Castles of Burgandy a lot. I especially like the fact that it is a dice game so a little different from the other games we have. I'm hoping for a medium - medium/heavy weight that doesn't cost a fortune (like Agricola ) and doesn't take longer than 90 minutes to play. Any other games I should look into?

You've recommended a great game for yourself! Does everything you're looking for and at an amazing price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely buy The Castles of Burgundy. With two players it's less than an hour. It's very easy to catch onto. The use of the dice is unique: rolling a higher number isn't better than rolling a lower number.

I also think you'd like Race for the Galaxy, though you have to take the time to study the cards before you play (or after your first or second game) so you learn how to make better use of them. If you think Race might be too brain-burning (which it really isn't), then go for another game with the same style: San Juan.

I love all Stefan Feld games. Look at his list and the comments on the highest ranked of his games. Castles is one of his. My other favorite is Macao.

And finally, I think Homesteaders is a great game with 2 players or with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rlux202 wrote:
You can't go wrong with The Castles of Burgundy and I advise making this purchase sooner rather than later. It is getting harder to find at the best OLGS's and I don't know if this is a temporary or permanent condition.

You could also check out In the Year of the Dragon by the same designer. It also scales well from 2-5, plays quickly and is relatively inexpensive.

Note that in the case of both games the component quality is less than in other comparable complexity games which I believe contributes to the games' lower price. It's most noticeable in CoB with its extremely thin cardboard player mats. It's not an issue for me because the gameplay is so good, but it is something to be aware of.

You say In the Year of the Dragon can be played with two? Pretty good with 2? Tell me more.

I can help here. We only play games 2 player usually.

Takenoko
Rapa Nui (amazon is your best bet)
Finca
+1 Dominion
+1 Castles of Burgundy

And if you are going to stretch for Burgundy complexity wise:
Innovation--I have a sneaking suspicion that this one is my favorite game. So good for 2. So much fun. This one is all about the mechanics and the theme further enhanced by your imagination. What kind of people do you have? What kind of fun innovations do you have to play with? I believe I play this on a lighter level than what was intended and I absolutely love it for how well it works on this surface level. It cost me $16.25 at boardsandbits. That is just nuts crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Laison
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Thurn and Taxis.
+1 for Race for the Galaxy.

I recently got Lords of Waterdeep and my wife and I have been really enjoying it 2-player. You also might try Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) or for a 2-player only, Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious...which did you end up buying/plan to buy? If you already got it, I hope it was a success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
BM678 wrote:
I'm hoping for a medium - medium/heavy weight that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't take longer than 90 minutes to play. Any other games I should look into?

Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Troyes. My wife and I have only had it for a week and it's already one of our favorite games. We also just bought the Ladies of Troyes expansion for it because we've been enjoying it so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brittany Michelle
United States
Central CA
flag msg tools
alicialaura wrote:
I'm curious...which did you end up buying/plan to buy? If you already got it, I hope it was a success!

I ended up not getting him any games (organized a group gift of a laptop he needed instead), but not long after bought the iOS version of San Juan. We both enjoyed it for a while till it got too easy, then I bought Tigris & Euphrates (iOS) and we both fell in love with it! DH loved it so much we bought the board game too. Now we're enjoying the iOS Le Havre, although it is taking us a while to catch on... I love the complexity of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elbert munnik
Netherlands
Geldrop
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as suggestions go. my wife and I also play a lot together, seeing the recommendations and all. I would like to suggest a game called goa. It plays good with two but can also be enjoyed with three and four players.

It starts with an auction phase, after which a round with three actions for each player starts. Though decision making is the meat of the game as your always a few moves short. brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Race for the Galaxy

Awesome game and expandable. Great with any player number.

For some more complexity you could take a look at Troyes.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to chime in and say The Castles of Burgundy and Thurn and Taxis are both excellent suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.