2x A Burning Brand
2x Asfaloth
2x Fast Hitch

Events (12):
3x A Test of Will
3x Elrond's Counsel
3x Hasty Stroke
3x Lore of Imladris

I started playing around a month ago, and I've worked through a couple of decks using Glorfindel and either version of Aragorn. Frodo and Lore Aragorn are an obvious combination, and this trio of heroes is at least somewhat on theme with the source material.

This exact list has completed all quests through Heirs of Numenor. Once Ethir Swordsman comes out, that will be replacing the West Road Travellers. One Swordsman is the same as a Traveler, but with a point in attack and defense. Multiple Swordsmen are just flat out better. I sometimes want a third Warden, but two really does seem to be enough. Everything else is pretty much set.

The usual mulligan is for Light of Valinor, but it varies for different quests.

Individual Card Comments

Arwen - Usually I don't want three copies of a unique, but Arwen is completely amazing so I always want to get one. She holds up well on the change to Siege quests. If you don't need her for questing, she also makes an effective defender.

Gandalf - I can definitely see the argument for using Gandalf 2.0 instead. I did try him in an earlier version and there were times where keeping him in play was getting too costly. Gandalf is usually played to kill a big enemy or something that is stuck in the staging area. Once that happens I don't usually need the additional body, and the core version does this more efficiently than the new one. The threat reduction has saved me a couple of times. Really, core Gandalf just suits the style I play this deck with better.

Bofur - I sometimes question this guy, since I often end up paying the full cost. However, sometimes the temporary play saves my bacon. Occasionally you get to keep him for one resource, which is a nice bargain.

Gleowine - Master of the Forge is an option here, but there aren't too many times when I need multiple copies of a specific attachment. Because of this, he often would just be thinning out the deck. When I am digging for cards I usually need an ally or event, and Master doesn't help me there. Gleowine also has 2 health, which is getting increasingly important.

Henamarth - The ability makes him amazing for solo play. Without the ability he is still pretty cost-effective.

Forest Snare - This is rather pointless in most quests, but when needed it is a life saver. It might be worth trying out Ranger Spikes instead.

Unexpected Courage - This is the only card that requires a third core set. Having three copies is nice, but not super important. The first copy gets played on Aragorn. The other two copies probably should be split between Aragorn and Glorfindel.

Elrond's Counsel - I had Daeron's Runes in an earlier version, but I don't actually have that many unique duplicates to pitch so I wasn't getting the best results. Counsel may seem like overkill on threat reduction with Aragorn and Gandalf around, but it has made the difference between win or lose several times. The extra willpower is often nice, and the on-demand threat reduction can mean dodging an enemy long enough to prepare for it.

Lore of Imladris - This is pretty necessary for Wilyador, but it's also nice on the Numenor quests and comes in handy elsewhere. This is a card that would rotate out if I were to change cards based on quest.

The following posts will be short breakdowns of my quest runs.
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Core and Shadows of Mirkwood

- Passage Through Mirkwood - Won on first attempt. Routine.

- Journey Down the Anduin - Won on first attempt. I think this is the benchmark quest for determining viable decks. It requires you to do several different things, but also gives you a little bit of a control over how quickly things progress. Anyway, Frodo and/or Forest Snare control the Hill Troll, letting you build up forces before killing it and trying to speed through Stage 2 as quickly as possible. There are quite a few locations, so Asfaloth and Northern Tracker are nice to see.

- Escape from Dol Goldur - Won on first attempt. This was probably the most entertaining game I've played. The opening guards were Ufthak, Necromancer's Pass, and King Spider. I exhausted Aragorn to the Spider hoping to keep the two spirit heroes, but Frodo was taken prisoner. Turn 1 was looking pretty bad. I held back Glorf, new stage card was Cavern Guardian so my threat goes up by 10. I gamble and let the two enemies hit me undefended (3 on Glorf, 2 on 'gorn, no notable shadow effects), then kill the Guardian with Glorf. I have to use Aragorn now to avoid Ufthak turn 2, which is less than ideal.

On turn 2 I play Asfaloth and Arwen, questing with the latter and boosting Aragorn. The flip is Tower Gate, so after using the horse on the Pass I only lose 2 threat. Aragorn defends the Spider while Glorf hits it. Details are a little hazy for a few turns, but I get out a Traveler and Forest Snare Ufthak after blocking him once.

I eventually get to a point where I can pass stage 1, with an empty staging area, ~40 threat and 3 damage on both heroes. I have a Warden in my hand for next turn, so I grab the Shadow Key with Glorf to progress. First turn on stage 2 the flip is Dungeon Jailor. I free Frodo and immediately engage the Nazgul.

What follows is a few turns of Hitched Frodo and the two spirit allies questing, Frodo blocking the Jailor, Aragorn + Burning Brand + Arwen blocking the Nazgul, Glorf taking damage from the Key, and Warden of Healing keeping the latter two heroes just off the edge of death. At some point a King Spider flips, but Aragorn has a Courage so it basically gives me one turn of eating threat with Frodo then killing the Spider with Gorn and Glorf. A couple of timely Counsel draws keep me in the low 40s and eventually I save up enough to drop Gandalf to get more breathing room and kill the Nazgul over two turns. Things go pretty quickly from there, and I win with Ufthak and the Jailor still around flailing uselessly.

- Hunt for Gollum - Won on first attempt. This quest is always pretty simple, but I did have to face down an 8 threat Hunter at some point.

- Conflict at the Carrock - Won on first attempt. This is one of the quests I've played the most, so I had the strategy down pat going in. I stay on stage 1 for as long as possible (Henamarth really helps with this) and build up my forces. Once I have plenty of allies and resources, I drop my threat back down with Aragorn and take the trolls out one at a time (I always go Morris, Rupert, Stuart, Louis). Really, the only concern is getting hit by two Sacked before you're ready to take on the trolls.

- Journey to Rhosgobel - Won on first attempt. I hate this quest. Unless you play Lore for healing cards, you are kind of at the encounter deck's mercy as to whether it gives you enough Athelas or not. Really, if it gave an action window between completing Stage 2 and resolving Stage 3, it would be a lot more reasonable. Anyway, I mulligan for Lore of Imladris but don't get it. Fortunately, I do get Gleowine and two Mathoms pretty early, and draw into two Lores. Two Lores will pretty much always be enough.

- Hills of Emyn Muil - Won on first attempt. Mulligan for Asfaloth or Tracker, and dig for them with the card draw. Those cards make the quest pretty simple.

- Dead Marshes - Won on first attempt. Light of Valinor is huge here so Glorf can handle questing and Escape checks. Fast Hitch and Unexpected Courage are great for the same reason.

- Return to Mirkwood - Won on attempts 2, 4, 6-9. With my first deck (LeaderGorn/Glorf/Theodred), I had my best success racing through as quickly as possible, but that didn't really work with this one. In game one I flipped a second Hill Troll (the first was Snared) while committed with enough to complete stage 2, putting me in a rough spot while unable to play cards. I wasn't able to do enough damage to kill both before hitting 50.

After alternating wins and losses (once to a Warg who would just not get a shadow effect so I could kill him), I changed gears and started hanging out in the first two stages to put bodies on the board and clear out the enemies, then resetting with Aragorn and pushing to win in three turns. Multiple big guys are tough to deal with, but if it's Attercop you can usually kill it the next turn with Gandalf to keep it manageable. Multiple Hill Trolls really suck because they have so many hit points and can't really be chump blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Khazad-Dum and Dwarrowdelf

- Into the Pit - Won on first attempt. Things did get hairy when I killed the Patrol Leader with Gandalf, forgetting that this would automatically push me past stage 2 and leaving me with one resource for the rest of the game.

- The Seventh Level - Won on first attempt. This one is really all about getting Aragorn + Arwen + Burning Brand to keep the board from getting flooded.

- Flight from Moria - Won on first attempt. This quest is really pretty easy. Keep your threat low and just keep cycling through the stages until you get the Tools, then again until you get to the exit. Tools with Courage or Fast Hitch lets you get out within a couple of turns. You can also win the risky way if Henamarth is out to spy for treacheries.

- Redhorn Gate - Won on attempts 2-5. First flip was the location where you have to spend resources to quest, and I traveled there to get it out of the way early. The next few flips were also locations, and I didn't draw my location clearing cards. I quickly got overwhelmed with threat. The next four games were all pretty straightforward, so you just have to avoid the fluke draw.

- Road to Rivendell - Won on first attempt. Having played this before with other decks, I knew to not risk Sleeping Sentry as a shadow card without a way to deal with it. It flips turn 1 as a Shadow, but no one is exhausted. On turn 2 I play Burning Brand with a Test of Will in my hand so I don't have worry about the other copy. The turn 2-3 flips are both Bears, so questing goes very quickly.

- Watcher in the Water - Won on first attempt. I flipped three Mountain Wargs early, and they kept not drawing Shadow cards. I hate wargs so much. I have to use Aragorn pretty quickly but still end up in the 40s before I finally get rid of the wargs. Fortunately I have a pretty full board at this point, so once I'm ready for the watcher I Snare and kill him pretty quickly. Henamarth can let you sneak through the Doors of Durin, but I didn't get a card to match with it. This was another game where Elrond's Counsel saved me.

- The Long Dark - Won on first attempt. Pretty easy, mostly just building up questing and running through.

- Foundations of Stone - Won on first attempt. I had to face some pretty big Nameless Things, but this quest isn't too bad if you don't rush through it.

- Shadow and Flame - Won on first attempt. Frodo handles the Balrog pretty well. I flipped the Second Deep turn 1, and had to waste a couple turns damaging the Balrog to Asfaloth it. I always seem to whiff on my first Dark Pit attempt, and this time I flipped my last two Counsels on it. That made things harder than they really were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
The Hobbit and Print on Demand

- Massing at Osgiliath - Won on first attempt. The usual defend with Frodo and hack with Gorn/Glorf clears the opening enemies one by one. The quest is pretty straightforward from there. With no Gandalf in hand, I planned on just running by the Witch King but his threat and willpower penalty made it clear that wasn't going to happen. Things looked a little dicey since my board would take 3 or 4 turns to kill him and the cost to keep him out of the staging area meant the race to clear the stage and Pelennor fields was going to be pretty close. But then I topdeck Gandalf and kill the Witch King in one turn.

- We Must Away, Ere Break of Day - Won on first attempt. I don't even really try to fight the trolls. I stay on stage 1 until I get a Troll Camp in the staging area, reset threat then proceed. Travel to the Camp, engage the first troll and immediately free the Sackee, then just quest through to run out the encounter deck.

- Over the Misty Mountains - Won on attempts 2-4. First time playing this quest. Opening flip was a second stone giant, and I try to fight them. Once I kill one, the Crow puts him right back. At this point the cost of Frodo has added up and I'm out of time. The later runs I just quest out the first stage and things are pretty routine after the encounter swap.

- Riddles in the Dark - Won on first attempt. Most of this quest is easy, but my luck on the riddles was pretty bad. I lost two attempts early, and would have to dig pretty hard with the ring to avoid failing the third time. I had a handful of cards left in the deck when I finally completed that step. Not the best quest in the world.

- Battle of Lake Town - Won on attempts 3 and 6. This was my first time playing the quest, and it took me a few tries to settle on a strategy. I decided to keep engaging Smaug and letting Frodo eat it until the staging area was under control and I had allies in play, then reset my threat and start putting Smaug in the staging area so he only attacks with the enter play effect. This pretty much works unless you flip the shadow card that gives him another attack, which led to a turn 1 or 2 hero loss a couple of times in a row, once with Reckless in His Rage preventing me from saving my butt with a chump block. Asfaloth and Tracker are both huge, though there are several copies of the location that prevents player effects so you still have to work through those. That really came up in my first win, but repeated Bofur plays gave me just enough to push through. The second win was pretty routine. Both times it took two turns to kill Smaug with the Old Thrush. This was one of the rare times I used Gandalf to draw cards, just to have fuel for the Thrush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Heirs of Numenor Block

- Peril in Pelargir - Won on attempts 2, 4 and 5. Put the scroll on Frodo, let it go turn 1, and this is pretty manageable.

- Into Ithilien - Won on attempts 2, 4, and 5. Details are hazy on the first four games, since I spent so much time afterward on Cair Andros. I lost pretty quickly on games 1 and 3. Games 2 and 5 Celador died, game 4 he lived.

In game 5 I got Fast Hitch, Light of Valinor, and Bofur turn 1 to clear Ithilien Road over two Southron Companies. I played Warden on turn 3 to handle Warg damage. Aragorn and two Counsels put me way below engagement checks so I could clear one enemy at a time. Henamarth was in play to scout. Eventually I flipped a location multiple turns in a row, and things went breezily from there. The quest is pretty hard, but if you survive the setup you have a good chance of winning.

- Siege of Cair Andros - Won on attempt 10 or 11, I can't even remember. This one almost made me give up on this list, which was frustrating since it was the last quest. In game 1 I didn't know what to expect and lost quickly. In game two I tried protecting the locations, but got wiped out pretty early. I then settled into a strategy of letting the locations soak the damage, but Stage 2 would put me under too much duress and I wouldn't have enough bodies left to get through stage 4.

I changed gears to trying to mulligan for Asfaloth or Tracker. First time through I got Asfaloth and removed the Banks, but ran out of gas on Stage 4 again. Third or fourth time I won. Opening draw had Asfaloth. No plays or questing turn 1, flip is The Master's Malice, which I Test of Will. I travel to the Citadel. On turn 2 I play Asfaloth and Unexpected Courage (on Aragorn), still no questing. The flip is Haradrim Elite. I defend the forced attack with Frodo (Shadow is the 2 damage to all Battlegrounds) and the normal attack with Aragorn (Master's Malice as Shadow), then Aragorn and Glorf kill it. Turn 3 I clear the Banks with Asfaloth, quest with Aragorn/Hitch'd Frodo/Arwen, and flip Mumak. Engage the Mumak and get ready for four turns of slow death. Turn 4 is Scourge of Morder (for 1), and I start making progress on the Citadel. I believe I reset with Aragorn here or the next turn. Turn 5 is Orc Rabble, which I let go undefended (it swings for 4 after shadow) then kill. I also don't defend against the Mumak, killing off the second battleground. Turn 6 is the Southron Mercenary. I let it go undefended, block and hit the Mumak (9 damage now), then Asfaloth the Citadel away to go to Stage 3. On turn 7 I drop Gandalf to kill the Harad and quest for 7 with my heroes (Glorf has UC or Light by now, with the other to follow), then block the Mumak with Gandalf and kill it with Gorn/Glorf. Next turn I clear stage 3 and flip the Orc Vanguard, which I engage to Snare the following turn. From here things are over pretty quickly. I have Henamarth to prepare, lots of attack in play (the last stage is Battle instead of Siege thanks to victory points) and enough space in my threat that I can still block with Frodo in a pinch.

So, pretty good luck involved in that win. The Mumak wasn't ideal, but I finally started flipping treacheries when I really needed to not flip another enemy, and that gave me enough time to get things under control. Being able to clear the two Battlegrounds made an immense difference. Stage 2 gives you so many massive enemies to deal with, and with just one Lore hero you don't have enough resources to Snare or Heal everything. The enemies are mostly too big to let Aragorn defend them, so the Shadow effects will usually resolve. The deck doesn't quest poorly on Siege, but the built in 5 threat from Stage 4 chokes things up just enough that a lot of time you're making no progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on building such a successful deck, and thanks for posting such a detailed and informative report on it. It's good to know that it's possible to build a deck which does well against (almost) all the quests.

I imagine you fancy playing a different deck for a change now, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic write-up. Giving your reasons for each card in the OP was awesome, and the session reports thereafter are epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job at deck buildng and the report. I am running a very similar deck (since Watcher in the Water up to Foundation of Stones) and I agree that it is very strong.

My teaks are:
Glorfidel replaced with Eowyn (mostly due to the fact that he only came in last adventure pack) and all Glorfidel related cards are out
No healing - more card drawing but my deck is more scenario specific then jack of all trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Congratulations. I'm very impressed with this deck.

If you had to use just one core set what would you do differently and do you think there are any quests which would be unbeatable with this set-up and one core?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice deck and cool report!

Looks like you arrived at a similar stage as I did in my attempts at building a solo deck against Dol Guldur specifically (with a few more tweaks to make it capable against all scenarios, of course). I prefer the Frodo/Glorfindel(Sp)/Beravor setup (with Galadhrim's Greeting and Elrond's Counsel) I have now, though, over the earlier Aragorn(Lo) setup. Beravor's card draw is always nice to have.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great deck,
I've been running these same three heroes together for a bit now and it is a powerful combination. My deck is attachment heavy, so it's neat to see a different deck list that is just as Sucessful. I think what makes this hero combination so powerful is Aragorn's threat reduction. Right now this is the best three hero combo I've come across in the game, and the rest of the deck can vary.

You can check out my recent posts in the HoN forum and the Battle of Laketown forum. If you want to see how I've constructed my deck.

Currently, I've started back at the beginning, and am playing each quest 3 times in a row. I've completed the core and all of the Mirkwood cycle. The only games I've lost Rhosgobel twice, even with a few healing cards. Like you said, I hate that quest.

Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hallett
United Kingdom
Brixham
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started playing the game and only have the core set atm (although Hunt for Golum is on the way) can you let me know which adventure packs the various cards you list are from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hallett
United Kingdom
Brixham
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to do that....much appreciated:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for the comments. It's nice to immediately feel welcome with my first posting.

jrd23 wrote:
I imagine you fancy playing a different deck for a change now, though!

Yeah, I've been trying lots of different combinations for other heroes and struggling a bit to refine things down. Especially since I try to avoid using anyone from this deck (Glorf fits in so many decks) and want to be at least a little thematic. Not too many get by the Anduin unscathed. Right now I'm trying out a Beorn deck that kind of works and is a lot of fun.

Wojo wrote:

Glorfidel replaced with Eowyn (mostly due to the fact that he only came in last adventure pack) and all Glorfidel related cards are out

Eowyn is so nice to fill that questing hole for decks that need it. Sadly, it looks like she needs a sub for Numenor. Hopefully she gets another version at some point, probably with different stats (3/2/1?). Maybe in Tactics which could use a bit of willpower.

nssxxx wrote:

If you had to use just one core set what would you do differently and do you think there are any quests which would be unbeatable with this set-up and one core?

Hmm. I believe that would be -1 of Test/Hasty/Tracker/Henamarth/Snare/Lore and -2 of Courage? I'd definitely add the one copy of Dwarven Tomb, which was one of the last cards cut anyway. Elfhelm slides in easily for the third Tracker. The third Warden of Healing. I'd probably fill in the remaining slots with Miruvor and Erebor Hammersmith, which would let me fake the reusable ready effect a bit and both cards give some versatility. With the Hammersmiths in, maybe drop the Lores altogether for Healing Herbs.

I think the quests would all still be winnable, but consistency would take a hit. You'd need a little more luck to have things like Test of Will when you need them.

Tracker1 wrote:

...I think what makes this hero combination so powerful is Aragorn's threat reduction...

Yeah, the Aragorn and Frodo combo gives a nice security blanket against both ways to lose. Aragorn really changes the way you can approach things since you can afford to do things like not quest at all for a turn or two to get a better handle on board position. Those Dol Goldur and Cair Andros games I played couldn't have been won without him. I'd also say the heroes cover all of the stat bases pretty well so they age(?) gracefully as the newer quest types come out.

Tracker1 wrote:

Currently, I've started back at the beginning, and am playing each quest 3 times in a row. I've completed the core and all of the Mirkwood cycle. The only games I've lost Rhosgobel twice, even with a few healing cards. Like you said, I hate that quest.

Nice work!

Thanks! Nice job on yours as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
akodobill wrote:

nssxxx wrote:

If you had to use just one core set what would you do differently

Hmm. I believe that would be -1 of Test/Hasty/Tracker/Henamarth/Snare/Lore and -2 of Courage?

Worse, -2 Henamarth. I'd definitely play Daeron's Runes in that case (well, honestly I'd play them anyway). I also really like the Miruvor/Hammersmith combo.

Also, to the previous poster who asked about sets, Spirit Glorfindel is from Foundations of Stone and Lore Aragorn is from Watcher in the Water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also FYI, Arwen Undomiel is from The Watcher in the Water adventure pack, not The Redhorn Gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome write-up. Made it From HFG to Return to Mirkwood( only beat Return to Mirkwood 1 out of 5), where I realized you were using the Spirit version of Glorfindel. I thought that starting Threat was high...haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, lemme just build that deck. Hmm.. .lots of Darrowdelf cards. The only ones I don't have. CURSE YOU!

Quickly now.... to Amazon!

This thread may have cost me a good chunk of change (Did I pick up Kahazad-Dum at the same time cause hey why not? Ummm.... maybe?) but thank you just the same!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="akodobill"]

Attachments (18):
3x Ancient Mathom
3x Forest Snare
3x Light of Valinor
3x Unexpected Courage
2x A Burning Brand
2x Asfaloth
2x Fast Hitch

Do you play brining brand on Aragorn, since he is your only lore character?
In the deck I play with the same three heroes I include 3 song of wisdoms to make sure I can get burning brand on Frodo, since he is my main defender.

How often do you defend with Aragorn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Yeah, late game I try to defend with Aragorn with possible. I don't want my threat to get too high, and it is safer to block multiple guys with him, especially if I don't have Arwen and/or a Warden.

I'm hesitant to include the song since I haven't really needed the resource fixing and I don't want to run it just for use in a combo. However, it does seem like something that could improve my chances on Cair Andros, where Aragorn can't safely defend and I did find myself wanting additional Lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akodobill wrote:
Yeah, late game I try to defend with Aragorn with possible. I don't want my threat to get too high, and it is safer to block multiple guys with him, especially if I don't have Arwen and/or a Warden.

I'm hesitant to include the song since I haven't really needed the resource fixing and I don't want to run it just for use in a combo. However, it does seem like something that could improve my chances on Cair Andros, where Aragorn can't safely defend and I did find myself wanting additional Lore.

Cair Andros was one of the main reasons I found this combo. It greatly improved my chance of wining. Rule of thumb for this scenario is never defend with a hero, unless you can cancel the shadow cards. A great opening hand is song of wisdom and burning brand. Then it goes on Frodo right away, and I don't have to worry about shadow cards the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
There's some things that I can't envision with this card list.

These aren't overall very expensive cards, but zero resource acceleration seems tough to manage, it seems like those forest snares would be hard to play.

With the exception of northern tracker(who'd be often busy I think), you seem solely reliant on Glorfindel and Aragorn for attacking, and with no attack power boosts. Do you just scrape by with the two heroes attacking the same enemy at a time to overcome defenses? Even then it would seem somewhat insufficient, as it's hard to envision those allies being sufficient for Carrock's trolls, and you need to do a lot of damage to the Balrog in Shadow & Flame prior to knocking him into the pit.

This kind of seems like the biggest weakness of the deck, but is the idea that generally heavy questing gets you by?

Also, is your comment about HoN meant to imply that you'd use Eowyn instead of Frodo if you weren't including those quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William O'Brien
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
re: Resources -

The spirit cards are the lifeblood and all but tracker can be played from one turn of resources. If you count permanent readying effects, you are getting a lot of extra bodies at 1 or 2 cost. So you can have a turn 1 Hitch + Valinor and it is like playing two allies with combined 5 willpower (or 4 atk, etc). The other spheres really don't have comparable questing power in that price range, so they need the resource boosting more.

Lore is basically used as a meta package with only Gleowine, Henamarth and Fast Hitch as cards that I would play regardless of matchup. There aren't too many games where you need to plan on using Snare.

re: Damage -

Attack strength is certainly the main weakness, but the staying power provided by Aragorn and Frodo gives you time to work around it in most quests. Frodo and Arwen do a very good job at blunting attacks, so even if you do get a bunch of enemies in play you aren't really losing important people. Certainly lack of attack power hindered me quite a bit in Cair Andros, where you might have to face a stage with two flips a turn and many huge enemies.

Spirit and Lore don't really have much in the way of attack bonuses. Thus, Northern Tracker is actually a 3-of mainly for his attack power. The location hate is a nice bonus. At times, I've considered a copy of Elfhelm as well, but I've stuck with Bofur. Things will improve slightly when Ethir Swordsman comes out.

Aragorn and Glorfindel do most of the attacking, and those two together will generally kill most things in one swing. A lot of the enemies they can't kill quickly are things that are set aside at the beginning of the game and you know when they are coming. So it is important to focus on gaining board control and only proceed to those stages when you are ready to handle the big enemies. Because of this, the scores you get with this deck probably aren't impressive (I don't really keep track).

Tougher enemies I have to handle over multiple turns and I usually save Gandalf for those. I would say at least 4 out of 5 Gandalf plays are for the damage option.

Carrock isn't really a problem since the trolls can be handled one at a time and I usually have Lore resources built up to Snare one or two. That quest does have to be played slowly (spend time building before resetting threat and going to stage 2), but the only real reason to lose with that approach is if you are Sacked twice before facing the trolls. Grimbeorn isn't even really a factor.

For the Balrog, I usually kill him over several turns, with each Gandalf play cutting a big chunk off the clock. By that point I'm usually chump blocking the Balrog with Travellers and Arwens, since questing isn't really needed. The biggest obstacle against that quest is actually the cheap costs in the deck. I seem to always whiff on the first Dark Pit attempt, and since you are exhausting characters after the Ready step that leaves you in bad position for the follow up turn.

For Smaug, you need the Old Thrush and probably two turns of using it (I don't know if it is correct, but I play it as if the defense penalty goes away each turn).

re: Eowyn -

Frodo has always been the guy for this deck. I was referring to Eowyn being very good filler for other decks that need questing. Since I don't want to use Glorfindel all the time, she has gotten a lot of looks in my attempts at other decks. However, she is putrid in the Numenor quests, so her days as a slot in "all quest" decks seem to be over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethir Swordsmen? I have not seen this preview.

In my deck with these heroes. I like to play gandalf (OtHaUtH). I play him like a fourth hero, and keep him in play. His four attack does wonders for taking down boss enemies. Aragorn's threat reduction makes it possible to keep him in play, but I also have elronds greeting, galadhrim's greeting and some good meals to makes sure I can keep the threat down. It's a lot of fun having gandalf stick around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run a similar deck for a while, though I included a couple of Mirkwood Runners in it. They're a little pricey at 3 Lore resources, but their 2 Atk strength certainly comes in handy (especially when using their ability to pick off an enemy with only a few hit points left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.