Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, my nine-year-old and I got this for Christmas and we've played just two games so far.

Here's our question -- when placing a new tile (which you have just drawn)how do you agree on what its best placement may be?

For example, if the tile has a road, field and city on it, (and at that moment in the game, you can only place it next to another road or city tile on the board) which feature takes priority?

I thought maybe the road, because matching the tile to another road is usually always an option and would be preferable to having a bunch of unfinished roads going this way and that.

My son disagreed, arguing that the tile should go wherever it is best for the player, regardless of aesthetics, etc.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, are you supposed to make a logical move with your tile, or throw it down anywhere it is legal to do so?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakyTiki wrote:
Hello, my nine-year-old and I got this for Christmas and we've played just two games so far.

Here's our question -- when placing a new tile (which you have just drawn)how do you agree on what its best placement may be?

For example, if the tile has a road, field and city on it, (and at that moment in the game, you can only place it next to another road or city tile on the board) which feature takes priority?

I thought maybe the road, because matching the tile to another road is usually always an option and would be preferable to having a bunch of unfinished roads going this way and that.

My son disagreed, arguing that the tile should go wherever it is best for the player, regardless of aesthetics, etc.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, are you supposed to make a logical move with your tile, or throw it down anywhere it is legal to do so?

Thanks!

The part in the rulebook about people making suggestions is tongue-in-cheek. You lay the tile wherever you want to lay it strategically (which means a lot of "blocked" roads and cities that are unfinished with meeples stuck on them by the end of the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tongue-in-cheek rule is there to prevent the game from becomming a boring serious game where everybody is playing in silence.

It is quite fun to convince a fellow player to lure him away from the obvious move to ruin my situation by 'convincing' him to annoy someone else instead.

As for which feature of a tile you should go for, it really depends upon the situation. But all things being equal the city is at minimum worth the same as the road, but potentially twice as much (and even more when containing shields), so going for cities is the most valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakyTiki wrote:
My son disagreed, arguing that the tile should go wherever it is best for the player ...
Maybe he's only 9, but he has concuded correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
FreakyTiki wrote:
My son disagreed, arguing that the tile should go wherever it is best for the player ...
Maybe he's only 9, but he has concuded correctly.

He will be pleased to know this!

So, then, in an average game it's normal that there will be many roads to nowhere and unfinished castles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakyTiki wrote:
So, then, in an average game it's normal that there will be many roads to nowhere and unfinished castles?

In this game (the whole series) you cannot directly attack your opponents. But you sure can help them suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
FreakyTiki wrote:

In this game (the whole series) you cannot directly attack your opponents. But you sure can help them suffer.

I always try to either get myself into a feature that will be worth lots of points and thus remain on an even footing with my opponent(s) or make it impossible for my opponent(s) to finish it. I am however limited to what I can do with the tile I have just drawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakyTiki wrote:

Yes, definitely. Certainly something has to be unfinished, either cities, or roads, or farms. The map will eventually have edges, each tile's-worth of which is one of these three things. (We usually have a few unfinished cloisters as well, and often there are holes in the middle of the map where no tile will fit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.