BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: RPG board game with no "GM/DM" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Beast

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a board game with no DM/GM for at least 2 people. I am ware that some can use 1 person, so I know that there are games where the GM is done by card craw and such. Looking for one that is fantasy based if at all possible. Wish we could do pen and papaer but no one seems to want to be the GM and not be able to play a character. Small possibility of us playing Iron Kingdoms, so we need and alternative in case no one wants to GM the game. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics: Albeit a bit hard to find right now, and the theme can either be a big positive or negative. Not the most complex in the genre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Good luck... There are a some out of print collector's games like warhammer quest and magic realm that get recommended.

There are a few that pretend to be that sort of game like Mice and Mystics and Castle Ravenloft, they aren't bad games but aside from their themes they really aren't very RPG.

There is the free print and play Dungeon Plungin' most DMing is done by dice and charts. It's supposed to be good but cumbersome and you have to make it.

I'm hopeful for Kingdom Death. It sounds like it has at least some of the right elements, but who really knows. It's pretty far off until its published.

Another route are skirmish miniature games. The roleplaying element would be entirely on the people playing but they can be played from the view of competing parties of adventures or adventures vs evil group of whatevers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Mice and Mystics: Albeit a bit hard to find right now, and the theme can either be a big positive or negative. Not the most complex in the genre...

It really should be in stock any day now. PHG said they were targeting sometime in January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best ones I have found (and I want to grab Mice & Mystics) are the D&D Adventure System games - Ravenloft, Ashardalon and Drizzt. They can be played with as much of an RPG feel as you want and the monster movement mechanic works quite well. They have NPCs and villians that add a lot to the games. I have Drizzt and my son and I have a lot of fun with it. I believe Ashardalon has a campaign option to stretch things out if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Mage Knight Board Game. It has a lot of RPG feel, a great mix of game mechanics, and a nice thick fantasy setting. It's playable co-op or competitively (or solo, if you're in the mood). It's shot up the rankings here on BGG for a reason if you ask me.

Runebound (Second Edition) is very RPG-like and has a lot of expansions, but read the reviews for it - some people love it and others, not so much.

I wasn't very impressed with the D&D boardgames (Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game). They don't have enough events and it's very easy to essentially see everything in the entire game in just two plays. They are easy to play though and do capture the essence of D&D combat well, so if you don't mind event and monster repetition, they're alright.

Warhammer Quest probably matches what you're looking for the best, but it's long, long out of print and complete copies are very expensive second-hand. Fun yes, but not cheap, and while it's fun, I really don't think it's worth the price. If you have a lot of spare money then it's worth a look.

If you want some nice fantasy flavor but more of a strategic feel, Defenders of the Realm is a lot of fun. You do get to pick a fantasy character with special abilities and go off and do adventurous things, so it does have some role-playing-ish elements to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hsieh
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about Defenders of the Realm and/or Legends of Andor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
I've heard a lot of good things about Mice and Mystics and Legends of Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want pen and paper RPG and no one wants to GM, check out Fiasco. I'm pretty sure you can find fantasy playset for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Bash uses the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 rules (d20) and has an option to run the monsters using flowcharts in two varieties (standard or advanced). It comes with basic adventures that can be strung together in a campaign. It has a room generation system, room and random encounter tables, and detailed stats for the monsters.

One downside of Dungeon Bash is that it assumes you have access to the D&D 3.5 rules. (Discussion here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/187605/a-few-questions-a... ) This is fine if you already have 3rd edition D&D player's handbook and dungeon master's guide. If you don't have them, you can either get them or try to get by with info from the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
cormor321 wrote:
Good luck... There are a some out of print collector's games like warhammer quest and magic realm that get recommended.

Seconding Magic Realm, but it is unfortunately out of print, so you would have to buy a used copy or make your own print-and-play copy. There is a game publisher that is making a serious effort to get the rights to reprint the game, but we don't yet know if they will be successful.

Many feel that Magic Realm is the finest fantasy RPG boardgame ever designed. The link below will give you a good idea of what the gameplay is like:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79698/the-magic-realm-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Mage Knight Board Game, Mice and Mystics and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game. My new obsession is Runebound (Second Edition). I find it a great deal of fun solo. What it has over the others, minus M&M, is that it is easy rules wise but there are many choices to be made each turn. Because it has been out so long, there are a ton of player created variants and additions that are very well done.

People are wary because of the long play time but using a doom track and skeletors solo rules, I can finish a game of the base set in about an hour.

Some of the expansions are OOP and expensive but the base set and at least one big box expansion are readily available.

I haven't played with two people, but I would probably still use skeletors rules for doom track to keep play time down. Ther is PvP conflict in the multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 RPG Boardgames for some ideas . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Legends of Andor looks interesting (on the new side) and Mage Knight Board Game would definately make my top list (now) . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is super hero game rather than fantasy but I liked it a lot more than Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game.

There are also dungeon explore games like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) where you have one player be an Overlord who controls the monster while the other players play various heroes. The Overlord is not a true DM as the monster, traps, etc are all part of a pre-made scenario and there isn't a true role playing but it might give a bit of that feeling. The other players can also play the same heroes and a bit of a story might develop or it can stay just a beat 'em up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeTraglia

Chatham
MA
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally have to recommend Runebound second edition. I played a cooperative variant recently, and it was absolutely perfectly paced and challenging for two players. It is an extremely simple variant to implement, and it allows for fully cooperative battles against any enemies while remaining fun and challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players do you have? If you are looking primarily in stats and primarily strategy and/or hack and slash, the suggestions here are great. If y are interested in other aspects of RPGs such as storytelling and role playing, there are a few gmless RPGs. My favorite and most played by far isArchipelago (Third Edition). It is free and high quality. Second and third editions are near identical in content. Will play well with 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the money to spare, Warhammer Quest is awesome.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clark
msg tools
Just started playing Memento Mori dark light this game is amazing and a great replacement to playing RPG if you don’t have the time to dedicate to preparing an RPG game, this is for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Untold: Adventures Await is a boardgames that is an RPG without a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Folklore: The Affliction needs to be on your radar. In my experience, no other game comes as close to capturing the feel of tabletop rolepleaying as this one. The whole point of the design is to give the illusion that you are playing a tabletop campaign. It really succeeds at that.

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients is old school D&D. I stopped feeling like I needed to play D&D with other people because it nails so much of what I love about D&D. Great game.

Edit: ha! Saw that this thread is old. Wondered why some of the suggestions were a bit dated. Good reminder that there are a lot of really great games that have come out in recent years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thread is 5 years old
I'm sure he found games he likes by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Thread is 5 years old
I'm sure he found games he likes by now.

The necro-poster is just shilling for some KS game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.