Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed the specific wording on the advanced effect of the Circlet of Proficiency artifact and wanted to see what people thought. It says:

Quote:
Take any Skill in the Common Skills offer (including your own) and keep it for the rest of the game, as if acquired through a Level Up.

It's the '...as if acquired through a Level Up.' wording that I'm curious about. Does this mean that you actually get the skill during the 'level up' phase of your end of turn step? Or is it just providing it as an example?

The only difference that this makes is whether or not you can use the new skill you choose immediately, or if you have to wait until next turn.

I'm 80% sure you get the skill for use right away, but the extra emphasis on Level Up, gives me a tiny sliver of doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to me as though it is simply a totally unnecessary "clarification".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is a too cute description on the card. What it means is you can only get those skills normally when you do a level up. It does not mean that you can't use that skill until the next turn like when you actually level up. Someone was overthinking that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this clarification is for the "keep it for the rest of the game" part. Still, it's not necessary... Maybe someone could come to the conclusion that you could only use the new skill once and had to "keep" it till the end of the game without ever having the chance of using it again.
Well... thats just an interpretation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Wow. What an unnecessary "contribution." No need to mock someone for asking a rule question.

Trevor - I agree with Scott. You don't have to wait until the end of your turn to take the skill, and you may use the acquired skill immediately.

edit: see below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Wow. What an unnecessary "contribution." No need to mock someone for asking a rule question.

I was referring to the card, not Trevor. Trevor is actually a personal friend of mine and we have played and enjoyed this game together. I anxiously await the next wifegoncon in Ottawa so we may get another few sessions in.

As for the card, it should probably just say "Gain one skill from the skills offer. You may use the skill immediately." Although, the second sentence shouldn't be necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize then. I misconstrued the meaning of your post. Having seen your other posts around the MK forums, I thought it out of character. I'm very sorry.

dcorban wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
dcorban wrote:

I was referring to the card, not Trevor. Trevor is actually a personal friend of mine and we have played and enjoyed this game together. I anxiously await the next wifegoncon in Ottawa so we may get another few sessions in.

As for the card, it should probably just say "Gain one skill from the skills offer. You may use the skill immediately." Although, the second sentence shouldn't be necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harkreader

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
there are a few people on the MK forums who respond like a jackass, i can think of one in particular, but i will not name him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka Kärkkäinen
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Antaa mennä, KYLLÄ JÄÄ KESTÄÄ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Use any non-interactive Skill in the Common Skills offer (including your own) as if it were your Skill. If it is a Skill usable each turn (one that does not flip), use its effect twice.

What about if using the basic effect for example with Tovak's 'I Don't Give a Damn' -skill? Can one use the effect first in the movement phase and then again in combat, or does one need to use both effects in succession?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would assume that you need to resolve the whole artifact effect at once and thus use the skill twice immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.